Dual monitor in Vista not behaving properly, Windows opening in wrong monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaLo2FrEeEk

I have 2 monitors, both 24" Acer P241WBD LCDs. I have them set up in dual screen mode. Up until a few days ago, and I can't for the life of me figure out what I did wrong, everything worked great. Vista remembered my window settings so that if I opened a window, dragged it to the right monitor, which is not set as my primary, but it's the one that is right in front of my chair, and maximized it, it would stay there, meaning if I closed it and opened it again it would be in that monitor, maximized. That's how it's supposed to be.

I have a shortcut to my E drive on my quick launch bar, which just contains random personal stuff that I wouldn't want to lose, like pictures, music, movies, projects that I work on, applications, basically everything I want to keep between reinstallations of Windows. What's annoying is that, like I said, up until a few days ago everything worked fine, then it started "forgetting" my window settings. I would click my shortcut to the E drive and it would open the window, not maximized, in whatever monitor it wanted. What I've noticed is that everytime I open it, the window moves a little down and to the right. It starts at the top left of the monitor and moves slowly to the bottom right. This wouldn't be annoying if I only had one monitor, but since they are pretty big monitors, I actually start to hurt my neck looking between them.

I've tried editing the shortcut settings to open the window maximized, which it does, but still in whatever monitor it wants, never the right one (right like direction, not like correct). Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing, and know what the heck I can do to fix it. I'm no stranger to just wiping and reinstalling the OS, I've done it a hundred times over, but I don't want to right now, I'm in the middle of things such that it would be very inconvenient to have to take time to set everything up again.

Please, PLEASE, if anyone can help me figure this out, I will be very VERY happy.

As a side note, it's not just with my shortcut, either. It doesn it with the Computer link on the start menu, it does it with Desktop Properties. There's only a few things I've noticed that don't do it and those are Internet Explorer, Windows Media Player, and programs where I've specifically told it where to open, like command prompt.

Anyways, anyone PLEASE help me, I'll be very thankful.

Edit: I did some testing and it turns out that the window will cascade 52 times. I opened and closed it and like I said, it slowly moved down and to the right. It moved 52 times before it started back at the top left of the monitor again. And now the window won't even move into the second monitor, it just keeps looping back and forth in the left monitor. This is drivin me crazy.

Edit 2: I do remember the last thing I did before it started doing this. I was using the program called Eraser to erase and reallocate all the unused disk space on all my harddrives the night before. When I woke up it hadn't finished (I do have 4 physical harddrives, with 1 split into 3 partitions, for a total of 6 harddrives in Windows) so I decided to just use the computer while it was doing it's thing. After all, it wasn't actually deleting any files, I made absolute sure of that. Well, I noticed a lot of things were displaying wrong, like certain text would simply not be there on a website. Gmail would show that I had a message, and that I was IN that message, but all that was there was the message header, not the actual email. A post on the forums on my site would have the post header right on top of the footer, with no text in between. I decided that it was the Eraser program so I stopped the task. I'd set it to restart my computer when it had finished, so when I stopped it, it restarted the computer and when I turned it back on it was doing this.

Bump. I asked because I needed help with this, if anyone can help me solve it, it would save me a lot of trouble reinstalling Vista, which I don't want to do at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back