AVG Virus Detection in Avira Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa Bear

This is an interesting one. Avira Free was downloading latest updates and AVG Resident Shield detected a virus in the Avira Update. These are the details shown by AVG threat report:

File name: C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\TEMP\UPDATE\ave2\win32\int\aeheur.dll

Threat name: Virus found Win32/PolyCrypt

Any info on this would be appreciated. Wondered if maybe it was a false positive?

OS is Vista Ultimate. Am using AVG for continuous monitoing & Avira for weekly scan.

After removing the threat to virus vault, did system scans with AVG, Avira, Malwarebytes & Windows Defender and nothing detected.

Hi, U mean to say that u are running two Antiviruses?
The other thing is some of the are not virus but the are spyware updates and or malware updates etc or tools to detect trojans or sniffer tools for protecting u from hackers, so some of these can be detected as viruses.
Anyway whats yo setup like?

Cheers

AVG to go

Thanks Kimsland. :)

Yep, you're right we did agree. I guess I was trying to hedge my bets.

Does this mean the Win32/PolyCrypt is not really a virus and AVG is giving a false positive? Research on Google tends to suggest it is. This is a link to a Google article on the subject: click here

Here are a few transcripts from the linked article, which I guess answers my question:

There has been some discussion about this on the Cygwin mailing list - where it has been unanimously voted as a "false positive"

After reading about it in the Chatterbox, I looked around and found that other people are having this problem too with AVG.

So I guess Grisoft just screwed up on their virus signatures... Expect an update from them pretty soon :)

UPDATE: Apparently, this is not the first time AVG confuses Win32/PolyCrypt with something else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back