Is my computer just rubbish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziziz

Okay so i'll get straight to the point as im a new member to this board but browsed it previously for other problems.

I Used to have WoW and i suddenly started getting the nv4_disp.dll error, it annoyed me that much i quit WoW, here we are today i wanted to get back into it, so i format my whole computer and installed Windows 7 (previously had XP Home) and a similiar problem happens. WoW just locks up and my whole computer freezes. i cant move the mouse or tab out or anything, the music is looped from the speakers and i have to shut down manually by holding the power button.

These are my comp specs.
Windows 7 home premium 32 bit
intel pentium 4 CPU 2.66GHz, ~2.7GHz
1536MB RAM
NVIDIA Geforce 6200 (128mb)

Im not too sure on what else to give you but if you ask i will provide.

In my performance information and tools window in control panel it says:

Processor: 3.5
RAM: 4.4
Graphics: 2.7
Gaming graphics: 3.2
Primary hard disk: 5.1

Normal use is 100% fine, but it just freezes when i start WoW up.
do i need a better processor? more RAM? a better graphics card? im useless when it comes to hardware :(

Any help is appreciated thanks!

Your system will perform quite poorly for gaming purposes. Mainly because of the processor and GPU. Do you have onboard graphics?

Yeah it's rubbish for wow at least. For one when I run wow on my computer running Windows 7 32-bit I get up to 1.5gb ram usage and that's with hardly anything else running, so you're definitely going over a bit. That combined with you're weak single core CPU and low end video card I think is the reason why you're locking up and unable to play wow. Especially if you're trying to log in while in Dalaran, I'd say upgrade you're cpu, and get another 1gb of ram at least and I think you'll be able to play.

Are you wanting a gaming system that handles the newer games are are you just wanting to be able to play WoW again on your current system?

From what you posted it appears it was doing what you needed it to do until you started getting the nv4_disp.dll error. This could possibly be rectified by doing the following:

1. Download Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper (both have free versions; make sure the version will work with your OS) to your desktop screen and install.

2. Download the latest diver(s) for your video card but don't install them.

3. Uninstall your video card drivers and reboot your PC into Safe Mode. Run Driver Cleaner Pro or Driver Sweeper. If it doesn't find any video card drivers that is quite okay.

4. Reboot and install new video card drivers.

* if you want a new gaming system then my siggestion is not to bother to upgrade your current system (except for at least 2 gigs of RAM and a possible new video card if the driver updating doesn't work) and save for a new one.

Your system will perform quite poorly for gaming purposes. Mainly because of the processor and GPU. Do you have onboard graphics?
Rit.....This is a video card.....NVIDIA Geforce 6200 (128mb)....Although I'm guessing it's before your time, or so it would seem.

And now the really bad news, the G-41 Intel board I'm using ATM (Intel GMA 4500 Integrated graphics) scores 4.3 Windows Aero, and 3.5 Gaming and Business.

Consequently, I'm thinking that a driver update isn't going to improve our OP's lot in gaming life, or at least not dramatically so. Hey, don't shoot the messenger.

To the upside, that old reliable Northwood will turn out term papers til long after you're a PHD.

With all of that said, it does seem strange to have the same .dll error across 2 different OS. So, that sort of does point to an error in the graphics driver.

Nvidia is claiming 6xxx series support with their latest driver; http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_197.45_whql.html

Hmmm okay thanks everyone

So all i need to do is buy a dual core processor and an addition 1gb/2gb RAM? I hope youre right

Hmmm okay thanks everyone

So all i need to do is buy a dual core processor and an addition 1gb/2gb RAM? I hope youre right
It seems you've completely missed our point. You can't buy a dual core CPU for the machine you're using, it won't FIT. Your machine's motherboard is Intel socket 478. There are no Dual core CPUs that will work.

You asked the question "is my machine rubbish"? The answer is no, it's not, but it's not anything that could be brought up to modern gaming specs either.

You can't use, "1 or 2 more Gigabytes of RAM". the board is 32 bit hardware. Actually, you might get away with 3 GB total, but there's no point to it.

The biggest and only improvement I think you should, (or could) make, that would help at all, is a better video card. Yours may be failing, or the video driver is causing the errors. You might also have to change the PSU to run a better card. So, I would try the video driver software that I linked a "Nvidia" first, if that's not it, >>> What I would do is this: try replacing the video card with the cheapest card I could find. It won't be easy, because I'm pretty sure that you have AGP graphics, which are almost extinct. Then leave well enough alone, and start saving for a new computer, or submit a budget to us and we'll try to help you build one.

What the captain said. And to get back to what I previously posted, if this system was doing everything you needed it to then simply follow the captain's and my advice. A total of two gigs of RAM is plenty but a new video card and psu is probably where you'll need to lay out the money.

OR begin saving up for a new system. It will take time but well worth it.

Hang on I'm sorry, i should have linked my my computer specs on the website
if you type "compaq presario sr1219uk" in google, the first link you see will be the specifications of the model (i cant link it as i need 5 posts...)

this is my pc, there is changes such as the RAM and graphics card aswell as more hard drives.

it says the maximum RAM available is 4gb which after looking inside is correct as there is 4 slots.

its base processor socket is a lga775 slot which means i can put a dual core processor inside right? for example the INTEL Core 2 Duo Processor E7500?

Also i have just noticed i have one pci express slot... i never knew this does this mean i could buy a pci express graphics card then?

Sorry for the dumb questions. :)

its base processor socket is a lga775 slot which means i can put a dual core processor inside right? for example the INTEL Core 2 Duo Processor E7500?
No, you can absolutely NOT use an E7500 in your machine, period. The fact that it is an LGA 775 socket really doesn't matter. The Intel 915 chipset is 32 bit hardware. In fact, you can't even put the "Cedar Mill" Pentium 4 in that board, as they only ruin in 64 bit boards. The hardware is "Prescott" series CPUs only.

Also i have just noticed i have one pci express slot... i never knew this does this mean i could buy a pci express graphics card then?
That's the only piece of good news here. Yes, Intel 915 does have PCI Express, so you could upgrade the video card from much of what is available.

No, you can absolutely NOT use an E7500 in your machine, period. The fact that it is an LGA 775 socket really doesn't matter. The Intel 915 chipset is 32 bit hardware. In fact, you can't even put the "Cedar Mill" Pentium 4 in that board, as they only ruin in 64 bit boards. The hardware is "Prescott" series CPUs only.

That's the only piece of good news here. Yes, Intel 915 does have PCI Express, so you could upgrade the video card from much of what is available.

okay well atleasts its encouraging to hear that i can upgrade something lol. im sorry for all the questions but does that mean because of my chipset i can not get a dual core? i cant update my processor to any better than it already is?

captaincranky said:
You might also have to change the PSU to run a better card.
But don't forget to check the power requirements of the proposed new card. If you have the 300W PSU listed at the link you provided, it might not be good enough.

No Dual Core for You......

im sorry for all the questions but does that mean because of my chipset i can not get a dual core? i cant update my processor to any better than it already is?
You could only upgrade the CPU to another one that Compac might have offered at the time of sale. To the best of my knowledge, all Intel dual core CPUs carry the "EMT" instruction set. "EMT is "Extended Memory Technology" and that is 64 bit.

IMO, upgrading the CPU is a waste of time and money. The biggest bang for the buck would be a better video card (and PSU).

You could only upgrade the CPU to another one that Compac might have offered at the time of sale. To the best of my knowledge, all Intel dual core CPUs carry the "EMT" instruction set. "EMT is "Extended Memory Technology" and that is 64 bit.

IMO, upgrading the CPU is a waste of time and money. The biggest bang for the buck would be a better video card (and PSU).

Ah right okay thanks for your comment :) well my current power supply is an X-Power which is the ATX-500TD, could you advise me on a decent pci-express graphics card (which is affordable) and could i use that new graphics card with my current 6200 for better graphics or only one?

Do I need a new processor?

I may need to buy a new processor as i am going to be purchasing a new graphics card (Nvidia GT 240)

I was wondering if anybody could guide me on what processor i can put into my motherboard?

this is my motherboard:
* Manufacturer: Asus
* Motherboard Name: PTGD1-LA
* Compaq motherboard name: Grouper-GL8E

my current processor is:
Pentium 4 505 (P) HT 2.66 GHz:

* 533 MHz Front side bus
* Socket LGA775

I've got 2.5gb of RAM and a 500w powersupply.

I once asked if i could put http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/intel-core-2-duo-processor-e7500-04906545-pdt.html into my motherboard but i got told no on this forum?

help is appreicated,
ta

Why do you NEED to buy a new CPU? IMHO, you only need to get a new one if your card is going to be bottlenecked by your current CPU, which it isn't.

Oh i see, that is why i said may in my first post, i wasnt too sure.

What, so the GT240 will work fine on an intel pentium 4 playing world at warcraft?

I see you're still asking the same questions, expecting a different answer.

I told you 4 threads ago you can't put an E7500 into an Intel 915 board. The only thing I can conclude is that you think I'm a liar, I'm stupid, or that you have a learning disability.

Enough is enough. I own an Intel 915 board, and I own an Intel E7500. You can't use them together, period.

I see you're still asking the same questions, expecting a different answer.

I told you 4 threads ago you can't put an E7500 into an Intel 915 board. The only thing I can conclude is that you think I'm a liar, I'm stupid, or that you have a learning disability.

Enough is enough. I own an Intel 915 board, and I own an Intel E7500. You can't use them together, period.

No I did listen, but you never told me why...

I've merged your two threads, Ziziz. Please ask questions related to this topic here. Feel free to start a new thread for something... new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back