Computer restarts out of the blue

jckinnick

A couple times in the last 3 months my computer has just restarted out of the blue what could be causing this?

Whats your computer specs first of all - What manufacturer and model is it (if its not custom made).

Also how old is it? Have you changed any items in the last 3-4 months?

Oh and what operating system are you using?

I am using a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP. I don't have any games on it, and ive got about 70 to 80 applications installed all total.

Assuming from your first post that there wasn't a BSOD, please go through your system logs; if you remember the date/time when these events happened it will be helpful to look for logs for entries accordingly. You can find your system logs in Control Panel, Administrative tools, then click on Event Viewer.

Assuming from your first post that there wasn't a BSOD, please go through your system logs; if you remember the date/time when these events happened it will be helpful to look for logs for entries accordingly. You can find your system logs in Control Panel, Administrative tools, then click on Event Viewer.

What is an BSOD?

No, something has caused it to reboot. Opening software shouldn't cause such an adverse reaction, unless something critical is failing, in which case it would BSOD.

If its not a BSOD, it could well be your PSU failing - The only way to test that is to use another PSU in its place and then check its behaviour.

It could also be overheating. Remove the side panel (with the mains lead switched off at the wall), and hold the chasis frame for a sec or two to discharge any static electricity your carrying, and then check the CPU cooler, the external fan, and the fan on your graphics card - If they're really dusty, use a paintbrush to clean all the dust off them (or you can buy a can of compressed air to blow it off too).

No, something has caused it to reboot. Opening software shouldn't cause such an adverse reaction, unless something critical is failing, in which case it would BSOD.

If its not a BSOD, it could well be your PSU failing - The only way to test that is to use another PSU in its place and then check its behaviour.

It could also be overheating. Remove the side panel (with the mains lead switched off at the wall), and hold the chasis frame for a sec or two to discharge any static electricity your carrying, and then check the CPU cooler, the external fan, and the fan on your graphics card - If they're really dusty, use a paintbrush to clean all the dust off them (or you can buy a can of compressed air to blow it off too).

I dont think its getting hot i keep it pretty clean and dusted. What is the PSU? As i say its only done this about 3 time in the past 2 months.

I dont think its getting hot i keep it pretty clean and dusted. What is the PSU? As i say its only done this about 3 time in the past 2 months.

PSU = Power supply unit

Clean and dusted inside of the cover though yeah?

Have you taken time to look at the system logs?

One of Leeky's argument with regard to PSU make sense, if its an OEM machine, I am sure it will have a cheap 'that will do it sort of PSU'. Therefore, PSU degradation can be an real issue as well.

Have you taken time to look at the system logs?

One of Leeky's argument with regard to PSU make sense, if its an OEM machine, I am sure it will have a cheap 'that will do it sort of PSU'. Therefore, PSU degradation can be an real issue as well.

I see some errors for the service control manager what should i be looking for?

Go to Event Viewer again, and click on Windows Logs, then first to system log, and right click on it, select Save All Events As, give the file a name, and it should be saved with evtx extension, repeat the same process for application logs, and post both of the saved files with your next post. Regards

Go to Event Viewer again, and click on Windows Logs, then first to system log, and right click on it, select Save All Events As, give the file a name, and it should be saved with evtx extension, repeat the same process for application logs, and post both of the saved files with your next post. Regards

How do i post the files? When i click on the files it says "Windows needs to know the program that created it". I tried to open it with notepad but it came out all weird.

When you have typed your next post in the Techspot's Reply box on this thread, click on Go Advanced button at the bottom, it will open an extended reply window with various buttons at the top, in these there is a small paper clip button, click on it, then browse to folder where you have created these files, and attach them. Once you have done that, click close at the bottom of file attachment dialog box.

You can't open these with notepad, they can however, be opened with Event Viewer.

Back