• Athlon

Votes: 27 90.0%
  • Intel

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've voted Athlon, because I am assuming you are looking at a 32bit processor comparison, with processors you can't really get hold of as easily as you once could :)

If you meant AMD I'd vote for them too, purely because I prefer the ethos the company has appeared to have being the underdogs to Intel, and the fact that I don't like the apparent Intel/Microsoft relationship. At that point I'd mention that AMD and Intel are both chip makers, and if you wanted a processor comparison, then you'd have to offer a list of comparable processors and give a situation in which to compare them (multitasking, seti type stuff, gaming, general usage, etc, etc.), because each processor family has different qualities and uses - and some cpus by Intel are better than equivelants by AMD at certain tasks, and vice versa.

But, with all that said, I voted for Athlon :D

I love cheering for the underdog, especially when the underdog is a better team. And for my needs AMD is the better team. Admittedly, AMD is not the best for everyone. There are some applications where it is better to get INTEL.

Now we need a poll on Vancouver Canucks vs. Colorado Avalanche.

[off topic police alert!!!!]

& this has been debated so often that it's really worthless to do so again. Pretty soon it will go down the drain. You can be sure us mods will lock it before it gets ugly though, be warned.

Weeelll

DonNagual=Colorado Avalanche
Spike=1.Wales,,,,I am welch
2.Queen
& of course AMD=INTEL, I like both
:D

Didou said:
& this has been debated so often that it's really worthless to do so again. Pretty soon it will go down the drain. You can be sure us mods will lock it before it gets ugly though, be warned.

Well said Didou.

AMD and Intel both produce very good cpu`s.

I`ve heard it said that if you want to play games then choose AMD. If on the other hand you do a lot of number crunching video editing etc, then choose Intel.

I`m not sure how much of the above holds true.

Regards Howard :)

I work for Intel and I'll tell you AMD makes a better CPU at the moment. :haha:

Intel's been behind for a bit actually, but I'm thinking their their upcoming CPUs (like the Conroe), Intel will be much more even, if not ahead. Should be an interesting first quarter, 2006. ;)

I`ve heard it said that if you want to play games then choose AMD. If on the other hand you do a lot of number crunching video editing etc, then choose Intel.
That kind of stuff is just propaganda. The same is said about Macs even though things have changed drastically - You still hear people tout the multimedia capabilities of Apple. It's not really true. But everyone has their camp and they like to pitch up tents there.

Each CPU has its ups and downs, but for where it counts... Performance, price and features... AMD is currently on top.

I like AMDs as well, rarely have issue at all. Although for most purposes I would suggest always replacing the stock heatsink/fan with an aftermarket one.

Googlefight, lol that's funny.

Intel only wins because more people search for Pentium problems. haha

I was told by a Guru (self-proclaimed) that AMD is better for "throughput", but that Intel "thinks" better. UH....... I'm new to all this, but my ex-wife works for Intel, and she doesn't like me, so I'll stick with Intel! (What'd he say?)

I have only ever owned AMD processors, (including in my laptop) so I obviously can't say which is best.

Who ever really notices those very few points that AMD or Intel wins over each other at the same speed and class?

I first started using AMD when I realised that they stick to their design slots WAY longer then Intel does. Think about it. At first, AMD was making CPUs for Intel slots way after Intel stopped. Then Intel started the licensing crap which forced AMD to make it's own slot. So Intel has had like Socket 1-8, Pentium Pro, Super Socket 7, Slot 1, Slot 2, Socket 378, Socket 423(with fizzled out RDRAM), 478, and on and on. But AMD has had like, what, 2? Slot A, Socket A, for 32bit. Then the fizzled out 754, and now 939 and 940 for 64bit. I like AMD cause you know there will be lots of upgrade options. They tend to stay with a socket much longer then Intel, which is nice.

And maybe I don't have all my details strait, but this is how it looks to me.

AMD has more than Intel since the AthlonXP came out.

AMD Intel
------------
462 423
754 478
940 LGA775 (or something like that)

And I think AMD is getting ready to launch another one (kind of like Intel's LGA). Maybe Intel is too. I don't pay attention anymore. Computers are a hobby for which I cannot justify the cost anymore.

/ME is switching to consoles and bargain computers

smtkr said:
AMD has more than Intel since the AthlonXP came out.

AMD Intel
------------
462 423
754 478
940 LGA775 (or something like that)

And I think AMD is getting ready to launch another one (kind of like Intel's LGA). Maybe Intel is too. I don't pay attention anymore. Computers are a hobby for which I cannot justify the cost anymore.

/ME is switching to consoles and bargain computers

A more accurate time would show you why AMD might be trusted to hold their platforms longer. Socket A (462) was the flagship socket for AMD for a duration of about 4 years. Intel hasn't had that luxury since AMD picked up steam.

OK this has been bothering me i checked it out for gods sake im having trouble on my homework. Their both so very good y i say y............
well i have an AMD processor but not old enough to buy a good AMD processor so my cosant builds computers at his home job hes told me mainly the basic to each so im going with intel but that choice is from facts....

the k5 i once had left me hating AMD for years, but thier products have evolved into something better than the best intel designs in the the last year or so.

Rick said:
A more accurate time would show you why AMD might be trusted to hold their platforms longer. Socket A (462) was the flagship socket for AMD for a duration of about 4 years. Intel hasn't had that luxury since AMD picked up steam.

What would be a more accurate time? It seems like the past 3 years should be a good enough time to show a trend that is important. If you want to look at ancient history, the pentium rocks and 3dfx is king of graphics. Things change.

Besides, I was merely pointing out that upgrading is no longer a given with AMD interfaces.

Like I said, I've been out of the game for years. the last PC that I built was my AthlonXP 2400+ with GeForce 4 Ti4200 (in Dec. 2002).

AMD hasn't abandoned those sockets though. Chips are still being made for them. Though the 939 or 940 (whatever the diff is), would be my choice over the 754, which they may only be making budget chips for.

And is it just me, but does AMD seem to make much better heatsink clips? Somehow I have this thought that Intel clips are almost scary to clamp down. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to crush the CPU right through the motherboard with the pressure on some of those.

E-prom, ZIF, Socket, Slot, Pga

Socket Types

Each range of CPU fits into a specific socket on your motherboard. motherboards are design with one socket type and cannot be made to take another.

Socket Type

Compatible Processors

Socket 5 -

Socket 7 - Original Pentiums, Cyrix 686, Cyrix MII, AMD K6, AMD K6-2 and K6-III

Socket 8 - Socket 8 was developed for Intel's Pentium Pro CPU - introduced in late 1995 - and specifically to handle its unusual dual-cavity

Socket 370 - Intel Celeron, Intel PIII (not Cartridge), Cyrix III

Slot 1 -Intel PII, Intel PIII (cartridge only)

Slot 2 - Pentium II Xeon's, which also sported more connectors than Slot 1, to support a more aggressive multi-processor protocol amongst other features.

Slot A - AMD Athlon (Cartridge only)

Socket A - AMD Athlon Thunderbird (not Cartridge), AMD Duron, AMD Athlon XP

Socket 423 - Intel P4

Socket 478 - Intel P4 (2nd Gen)

754-Pin Socket - Athlon 64

940-Pin Socket - Athlon 64-fx
The table below identifies all the major CPU interfaces from the time of Intel's Socket 1, the first "OverDrive" socket used by Intel's 486 processor in the early 1990s:
Socket 1 169-pin Found on 486 motherboards, operated at 5 volts and supported 486 chips, plus the DX2, DX4 OverDrive.

Socket 2 238-pin A minor upgrade from Socket 1 that supported all the same chips. Additionally supported a Pentium OverDrive.

Socket 3 237-pin Operated at 5 volts, but had the added capability of operating at 3.3 volts, switchable with a jumper setting on the motherboard. Supported all of the Socket 2 chips with the addition of the 5x86. Considered the last of the 486 sockets.

Socket 4 273-pin The first socket designed for use with Pentium class processors. Operated at 5 volts and consequently supported only the low-end Pentium-60/66 and the OverDrive chip. Beginning with the Pentium-75, Intel moved to the 3.3 volt operation.

Socket 5 320-pin Operated at 3.3 volts and supported Pentium class chips from 75MHz to 133MHz. Not compatible with later chips because of their requirement for an additional pin.

Socket 6 235-pin Designed for use with 486 CPU's, this was an enhanced version of Socket 3 supporting operation at 3.3 volts. Barely used since it appeared at a time when the 486 was about to be superseded by the Pentium.

Socket 7 321-pin Introduced for the Pentium MMX, the socket had provision for supplying the split core/IO voltage required by this and later chips. The interface used for all Pentium clones with a 66MHz bus.

Socket 8 387-pin Used exclusively by the Intel Pentium Pro, the socket proved extremely expensive to manufacture and was quickly dropped in favour of a cartridge-based design.

Slot 1 242-way connector The circuit board inside the package had up to 512KB of L1 cache on it - consisting of two 256KB chips - which ran at half the CPU speed. Used by Intel Pentium II, Pentium III and Celeron CPUs.

Slot 2 330-way connector Similar to Slot 1, but with the capacity to hold up to 2MB of L2 cache running at the full CPU speed. Used on Pentium II/III Xeon CPUs.

Slot A 242-way connector AMD interface mechanically compatible with Slot 1 but which using a completely different electrical interface. Introduced with the original Athlon CPU.

Socket 370 370-pin Began to replace Slot 1 on the Celeron range from early 1999. Also used by Pentium III Coppermine and Tualatin CPUs in variants known as FC-PGA and FC-PGA2 respectively.

Socket A 462-pin AMD interface introduced with the first Athlon processors (Thunderbird) with on-die L2 cache. Subsequently adopted throughout AMD's CPU range.

Socket 423 423-pin Introduced to accommodate the additional pins required for the Pentium 4's completely new FSB. Includes an Integral Heat Spreader, which both protects the die and provides a surface to which large heat sinks can be attached.

Socket 603 603-pin The connector for Pentium 4 Xeon CPUs. The additional pins are for providing more power to future CPUs with large on-die (or even off-die) L3 caches, and possibly for accommodating inter-processor-communication signals for systems with multiple CPUs.

Socket 478 478-pin Introduced in anticipation of the introduction of the 0.13-micron Pentium 4 Northwood CPU at the beginning of 2002. It's micro Pin Grid Array (µPGA) interface allows both the size of the CPU itself and the space occupied by the socket on the motherboard to be significantly reduced.

Socket 754 754-pin AMD’s 754-pin CPU interface form factor introduced with its 64-bit Athlon 64 processor in the autumn of 2003.

Socket 939 939-pin AMD’s 939-pin CPU interface form factor introduced in the summer of 2004. The Socket 939 marked the convergence of the mainstream and FX versions of the Athlon 64 CPU, which had previously used different interfaces, the Socket 754 and Socket 940 respectively.
LGA775/

Socket T 775-pin Land Grid Array 775: Intel's proprietary CPU interface form factor introduced in the summer of 2004. Similar to a pin grid array (PGA), the connection between LGA775 chip packaging and the processor chip is via an array of solder bumps rather than pins.
This does not take into account for
the earlier 286 & 386 integrated cpu's with & without Math co-processors.
Take a look HERE for the really old stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back