Would a 6600 GT run on a 250w PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazza558

Would a 6600 GT run on a 250w PSU? (Now a PSU convo)

(Title)

If not, what's the cheapest RELIABLE 300w PSU I can get that will work?

Also, how do I know that the PSU I'm buying will work in my PC?

Thanks in advance.

What form factor is your case / motherboard? ATX?
Also, what is the make/model of your motherboard (or if you already know, does your motherboard require a 20pin or a 24pin connector?

Your 6600GT may work with the 250w, but even if it does, your 250w is going to be extremely stressed and I'd guess that you'll be prone to some random crashing.

Go here to calculate exactly how much power you need:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/index.jsp

And go here to help you research which PSUs companies are good and which are not.
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

I beleive the systemr equirements for the card reqire more than a 250W PSU.
in looking for a PSU one thing to look for the is the amount of Amps it delivers ont he +12V rail. for todays power hungry machines 15A is considered bare minimum and more is preferred. ( I wouldnt buy one that doesnt deliver 18A minimum and 22A or better is what I look for)

it nevr pays to go cheap on your power supply, substandard bargain basement PSU are the cause of many computer failures and or weird computer behavior.

My current power supply is a "Bestec ATX-250" at 12A. I have a Radeon 9600 vanilla. My Motherboard is an ASUS K8S-LA.

The PSU needs to be under £50 ($87)

There's a problem in that I'm not sure where the power connectors to my PSU go so I might have trouble removing/replacing it.

Here is a pic:

psu6ig.jpg

It is not too hard to replace a PSU actually. Take a look at this pic:

LPJ2-300W-350x350.gif

Basically, it is a box with a LOT of wires coming out of it. If you are unsure, what you can do is clearly LABEL things when you take your current PSU out. Put stickers on everything that needs a power connection.

There are many different TYPES of connectors coming out of the PSU, but luckily they only fit in the ones they are supposed to fit.

Everything in your computer (pretty much) needs power. Every cd drive, floppy drive, hard drive and most importantly, your motherboard. Your PCI devices get their power (most of the time) directly from the motherboard. Some newer graphics cards also require a connection to the psu.

The main thing you want to be sure is that the PSU fits your computers "form factor" and how many pins your motherboard uses for the power connection.

Most motherboards are ATX, and most older motherboards use a 20pin connector. Your current PSU should tell you what form factor it is on a sticker somewhere.

If you have any questions, we're here! :bounce:

So if my Power supply is a "Bestec ATX-250" It's obviously ATX... Makes sense :)

Is Bestec a known poor brand? Would an Enermax PSU be more suitable (I was thinking of a certain 370w PSU). Also, would a better PSU fix any random crashes that may occur? I read somewhere that many random crashes are caused by not enough power to the system. Thanks a lot fo your help so far :approve:

I have never heard of Bestec, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it certainly isn't a good thing ;)

And yes, enermax typically make very good PSUs. That fortron linked by greenmachine above is also a good one.

Low quality/no-name PSUs are a nightmare. They cause random, hard to diagnose system crashes.

Here is a good read: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=792566

I'm from the UK so unfortunately I can't buy anything from Newegg because they don't ship to here. I've found a good website for any PC components in the UK and I was thinknig of something along the lines of this: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Enermax_111.html

(7th one down)

EDIT: Also, that picture shows All the wires coming from the PSU to connect to everything. How will it connect to the graphics card? is a power connector supplied with the graphics card?

That enermax looks like a nice one. As long as you are sure that 370w is enough to power your system (use the calculater I linked you to in my first post of this thread) you will be fine with that one.

Every PSU is different for how many connectors it has and what type. Your PSU will likely have the adapter you need to connect your video card (it'll depend on what type of video card you get). If not, then the video card will come with an adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back