About the date anomaly...

Julio Franco

Staff member
Just got home and saw the problem with the forums. I have taken preventive measures so that the database (hopefully) won't "half crash" again. I'm hoping once we get past ~9am today it will all go back to normal since there will be no posts made in the "future".

Sorry for the inconvinience.

Great news :)

This VB has everything - even in the possibility of someone coming back from the future it stops them telling us things we aren't supposed to know yet.

Seriously though, I sincerely hope all goes well, and that there's no more work for you after 9am Julio. (would that be 9am GMT or local (to you) time?)

Edit Also, you might not have noticed, but the forum time seems to actually be 1 hour and ahead of GMT as I view it now.

Thanks for working you socks of Julio. Thanks also to SNGX1275, you were a great help.

An extra special thanks to Spike for relaying messages etc. It really was appreciated mate.

Just checked the forum time and it`s showing up like this. All times are GMT. The time now is 03:12 PM.

The actual time according to my computer, which is synched to an atomic clock is. 02:17 gmt. Not that it makes a great deal of difference.

I`m just pleased to be able to post again.

Regards Howard :) :) :)

While all the post and things of that nature seem to be back to normal and everything is ok again the clock on the server is not right. I have it sae to -8 GMT which is Pacific Time Zone for me and it is showing the time as being 11:17 when it is actually 10:24. Not the few minutes who really cares but the I know it isn't 11 here and the boards are telling me so.

I know, it sucks the one hour off thing but as much as I tried to correct it, there is something wrong with vB and this setting for some reason.

BTW, I just switched to detailed time mode to see how you liked the feature.

As I said earlier. I don`t suppose the time being wrong is that important really.

I`m not too sure about the new time format though. However, it could just be because I`m not used to it yet lol.

Regards Howard :)

I am not sure sure about the new time stamps either but like howard said maybe it is just because I am not used to it.

Julio, what version of VB are you using here. Is there an update? Again the time thing isn't that big of a deal bit if the problem seems to be with the software maybe it is just time to upgrade or just start with a fresh install. Just thinking that cause even though it maybe a minor problem now it would may turn into a bigger one later.

At first instance I didn't like the detailed time format either, however I gave it a try because I enjoy that feature on gmail (for example).

That was last night, and now that I'm back I'm really liking how it makes sense how long it was that you replied to my messages, etc. Also archived messages will use normal time stamps, the detailed mode works within the past month only (and self-updates accordingly, of course).

As for vBulletin version, we use version 3.07 or something like that, we have patched every vulnerability so that's no risk, plus we have modded the hell of it to better serve our readers and you.

Julio said:
At first instance I didn't like the detailed time format either, however I gave it a try because I enjoy that feature on gmail (for example).

That was last night, and now that I'm back I'm really liking how it makes sense how long it was that you replied to my messages, etc. Also archived messages will use normal time stamps, the detailed mode works within the past month only (and self-updates accordingly, of course).

As for vBulletin version, we use version 3.07 or something like that, we have patched every vulnerability so that's no risk, plus we have modded the hell of it to better serve our readers and you.
Well then like I said if it is still acting a little bit funky maybe it would be time for a new install or the software or upgrade I beleive the latest version for vBulletin is 3.5.3 now or something like that.

Julio said:

I agree with this, I'd like to have an option to decide the datestamp display myself.

Call me old-fashioned, but I can't enjoy a message that was "36 hours ago" or "6 days ago".
I'd call that plain stupid for a date/time-indication!

JI can live with the new date/time stamp. I preferr the other one, but I can put up with it.

On the incorrect time issue, would it be a simple task to make a small modification to the code that adds one hour to the displayed time? or perhaps adjusts the offset calculations that increases each timezone by an hour?

I was just looking at my posts list.

Obviously it shows my last 300 posts, as normal.

With the new date/time format, my oldest post of the 300 is showing up as one week ago.

Now I know I do post quite a bit, but I don`t think I could`ve posted 300 in one week.

That would give me a daily average of 42.85 posts per day, over the last week. This is obviously not correct.

From what I can work out, my recent post average is around 20 to 25 posts per day. So that means that my oldest post of the 300, is nearer 12 days ago.

I`m sorry if this seems like I`m nit picking, but I just prefered the old date/time format. At least I knew exactly when I had posted.

Is there any chance we could return to the old date/time format?

Regards Howard :confused: :confused:

Hi Julio.

I see you have changed the date/time format back to the original.

I for one think this is much better.

Thanks.

Regards Howard :) :)

Just had another though about the whole time being an hour off right now. Julio do you have any of the DST setting turned on right now. If they are could explain why the it seems to be an hour ahead.

Couse I guess I could just change my Time zone setting if the time thing is really bugging me as much as it seems to be :confused:

Hi Julio.

Have you just changed the time again?

I`ve just noticed that the Techspot time is now correct again lol.

I had been using Techspot time with no DST enabled. this was so the correct time would show up, except for the odd 4 minutes. I`ve just re-enabled DST.

Edit: Scrap that. The time has just gone mad again.

Edit: Seems the time is now correct again. I must be time travelling or something lol.

Time issue is now fixed (thanks go to Per). There is of course the slight anomaly that a one hour gap was created and as such some posts became "future" ones, but once the time passes it will all be alright.

Julio said:
Time issue is now fixed (thanks go to Per). There is of course the slight anomaly that a one hour gap was created and as such some posts became "future" ones, but once the time passes it will all be alright.

Yeah I`ve seen your other post Julio.

All`s well now.

Thanks very much.

Back