PFN_LIST_CORRUPT Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chowganhime

Hey all,
Lately I have been getting a lot of BSOD's containing the "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" error. I understand that this error has something to do with memory, but I may need some clarification. Also, if any one knows of a way to resolve this issue, it would be much appreciated.
I am running:
Asus P5WD2 E-Premium
Intel Pentium D805 (no overclock)
2 Gbs of Ram
Nvidia Geforce 7900 GT

Thanks

You can use free downloads: Belarc Advisor, Everest, or CPU-Z / CPUID to run an inventory of your computer, in order to start the fix. It is usually a Windows 2000 error, and is rare in WXP. Which OS do you have? It is usually a driver error, but figgering out where is difficult.

From Microsoft:
How to Troubleshoot a "STOP: 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" Error
Article ID : 291806 Last Review : May 30, 2007
Revision : 4.2
This article was previously published under Q291806
SYMPTOMS
When you use a Windows 2000-based computer, you may receive the following error message on a blue screen:
STOP: 0x0000004E PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (Parameter1, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4)

This behavior occurs because a driver or other problem damaged the input/output (I/O) driver structures. To troubleshoot this behavior:
1. Run hardware diagnostic tools that are provided by your computer manufacturer.
2. Disable all file system filter drivers, such as backup utilities, virus scanners, or firewall software.
3. View the following Microsoft Web site to verify that the hardware and the drivers for the hardware are compatible with Windows 2000:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hcl/default.mspx)
For information about the hardware on your computer, contact the manufacturer.
4. If you receive this error message randomly, or when you try to start a program, remove extra memory or have the random access memory (RAM) in your computer tested. This behavior may occur if you have bad RAM.
For more information about the parameters of the PFN_LIST_CORRUPT function, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms793247.aspx

Yea, I have googled the error, and tried what Microsoft says. None of it worked. Although the last link gave the different types of that specific error, and by looking at the event viewer, I narrowed it down to 0x8F. According to that page, it means "The free or zeroed page listhead is corrupt." Whatever that means >.< Oh, and I also have ran Driver Verifier, it didn't find anything :[ Anything else I can do?

I think 0X8F is a memory dump report, rather than anything significant you can use.

In this case, I would definitely gurgle for MemTest86, and download it to a floppy or ISO or Flash drive... Then run the MemTest86 for four hours or 7 passes, which ever is faster.

That will pinpoint or ruleout memory issues... and knowing it is not a memory issue is just as important.

You might also consider running HiJack This and posting the log on this forum for the experts to review.

Will do thanks....but, do you know of any threads that tell you how to use Memtest, I've tried to use it before, but I just didn't understand how to use it.

Hi,
I'm new here so please forgive me for seeming rude or anything. Anyway i was wondering if you guys could help me with something. My machine took a bashing when i moved from the UK to the US a few months back since then i've replaced: the gfx card, case, psu and ram (oh i also have recently formatted my HD and reinstalled windows)....

My system specs are AMD 64 X2 4000, 2 gig DDR ram, Geforce 8800GTX, 850watt Antec PSU, 180 GB SATA HD, Windows XP sp2 & Panda Internet Security 2008...

Now my PC has been restarting a lot with BSOD error PFN_LIST_ CORRUPT.... thinking it could be the ram i memtested and got nothing, driver verified and got nothing. Finally i replaced the ram which didn't help either. So this week I decided i'd bite the bullet and just format my HD and reinstall windows (should eliminate driver errors etc right?)...well it worked fine for a couple of days then when i was Virus scanning i went to open IE and bang same error. I use my PC for work a lot so it's important to me the fact that i can't this thing fixed is driving me nuts.

Anyway to the point. peterdiva asked the guy in this thread if he was using Panda AV...can i ask why? is there some link between panda AV and PFN???? if so please tell me so i can remove the damn thing from my system. Any other advice would be great. Sorry for the length of my post.

Thanks in advance for the help

Well i can cofirm, at least in my case the problem also exists with 2008...since i uninstalled no BSOD, its been 4 days now. I'll see how things work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back