The archive is usually a regular file, which name has a ".rar" suffix.
- RAR introduces an original compression algorithm. It allows higher compression ratios than other PC archiving tools, especially on executable files, object libraries, large text files, etc.
- RAR offers an optional compression algorithm highly optimized for multimedia data.
- RAR provides functionality for creating a 'solid' archive, which can raise the compression ratio by 10% - 50% over more common methods, particularly when packing large numbers of small files.
- RAR offers the ability to create and change SFX archives using default and external SFX modules.
- RAR offers the ability to create a multi-volume archive as SFX.
- RAR offers a number of service functions, such as setting a password, adding archive and file comments. Even physically damaged archives may be repaired and an archive may be locked to prevent further changes. Authenticity information may be added for additional security and RAR will store information on the last update and name of the archive.
- WinRAR can unpack TAR archives containing folders with pax extended headers. Previous versions failed to unpack them.
- "Keep broken files" extraction option is supported for 7-Zip archives.
- Bugs fixed:
- WinRAR 5.10 did not set "hidden", "read-only" and "system" file attributes when unpacking ZIP archives
- WinRAR 5.10 failed to update self-extracting RAR archives containing nested ZIP archives stored without compression
- ZIP archive created with "Do not store paths" option included unnecessary empty name records for folders
- archived files could have 1 hour modification time error in Windows XP
- deleting a file in RAR5 solid archive containing files stored with -ver switch caused such files to lose version information
- black rectangles were displayed instead of toolbar buttons in 16- and 24- bit screen color modes and Windows custom text size larger than 100%.
Apps similar to RAR for Mac 4
If the command line is not your thing - here's a GUI front-end for unrar.
WinRAR is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data and reduce the size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files.
RAR Expander is a simple GUI utility for expanding RAR archives on OS X.