K-Lite Codec Pack is a collection of codecs and related tools. Codec is short for Compressor-decompressor. Codecs are needed for encoding and decoding (playing) audio and video.
The K-Lite Codec Pack is designed as a user-friendly solution for playing all your movie files. With the K-Lite Codec Pack you should be able to play 99% of all the movies found on your computer.
The K-Lite Codec Pack has a couple of major advantages compared to other codec packs:
- It is updated frequently. So it is always up-to-date with the newest and/or best components.
- All components have been carefully selected for specific purposes. It is not just a random bunch of stuff thrown together.
- It is very user-friendly and easy to use.
- Works great with Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center. But also with all other DirectShow players, such as Media Player Classic, BS.Player, ZoomPlayer, and others.
- The installation is fully customizable, meaning that you are able to install just those components that you really want.
- The pack has many options, which allows you to tweak it to your own specific needs and preferences.
- Uninstallation removes everything that was installed by the pack. Including all registry keys. All changes are properly undone.
- It is extremely easy to make a fully customized unattended installation with the integrated wizard.
- It does not contain any codecs or filters that are known to be bad, buggy or unstable. In fact, the installer is able to detect and disable several known troublemakers.
- It tries to avoid potential conflicts with other codecs installed on your computer. The installer is able to detect and remove over 100 different codec and filter packs.
- The installer is able to detect broken codecs and filters on your system, and helps you to remove them.
- It is a very complete package, containing everything you need to play your movies.
- The pack has options to activate thumbnail generation in Windows Explorer for several popular video file formats, which are by default not thumbnailed in Explorer.
- The pack automatically configures Media Center to recognize all common audio and video file formats, so that such files show up in your media library.
- This pack has a huge user base. This means that problems are found and resolved quickly.
- There are different variants of the pack. From very small to large.
- The pack is suitable for both novice and expert users.
- K-Lite Codec Pack 9.3.x (Mega/Full/Standard/Basic/64-bit)
- Updated MPC-HC to version 184.108.40.206
- Updated LAV Filters to version 0.59.1-26-g73db2ec
- Updated Codec Tweak Tool to version 5.7.4
- Improved HEVC decoding performance