HandBrake was originally available on the BeOS, but now has been ported over to MacOS X and to GNU/Linux.
* Alternatively you can download the latest windows version of this software.
- Can encode directly from DVDs (even encrypted ones) or from VIDEO_TS folders
- Supports AC3, LPCM and MPEG audio tracks
- Outputs MP4, AVI or OGM files
- Outputs AAC, MP3 or Vorbis audio
- Supports 2*pass encoding
- Supports encoding of two audio tracks
- Includes a bitrate calculator
- Supports picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
- AC3 in MP4 support
- Multi*track audio support for Apple devices
- Better handling of audio discontinuities
- More flexible, "loose" anamorphic
- Variable frame rate encoding
- MP4 optimization for progressive downloads
- Dynamic range compression for encoding from AC3 audio
- Ability to encode an audio stream and pass it through at the same time
- iPhone*compatible anamorphic (pasp atom)
- Robust program and transport stream support
- Better handling of DVD read errors from invalid VOB units
- Detects and works around missing end of cell markers
- Recovers from loss of signal in a stream
- Drops subtitles less often
- Keeps chapter markers in better sync and prevents duplicates
- Better handling of B*Frames
- Tunes FIFO sizes by CPU count
- Finally squashes the bug that cut off the end of movies
- Preset changes
- Standardizes on standard out for progress and standard error for everything else.
- Correct channel counts when passing AC3 audio to Matroska
- Tag MP4 files as encoded with HandBrake
- No more merging short chapters
- Newer copies of x264,
- VBV 2-pass patch for x264
- Sets keyframes for x264 by frame rate.
- Support for >2GB MKV files in Linux
- Code audio languages in a way QuickTime understands
- Better subtitle positioning
- Fewer crashes in 2*pass encoding
- Leopard Only
- Reads .eyetv files as well as .dvdmedia files
- Much better queue
- More white space
- Code restructuring
- Activity window logging, complete with a "black box recorder" for crashes
- Ability to open a single title for a DVD instead of scanning the whole thing
- Warns people when they try to queue up two files with the same name
- Maintains picture filter states between jobs
- .xib Interface Builder files SVN can track
- Switches to NSImageView for previews, so no more useless OpenGL effects
- Temporary loss of localizations for foreign languages (the old system was broken anyway)
- Separate filter settings for every queued job
Apps similar to HandBrake for Mac 3
FFmpeg is the leading multimedia framework, able to decode, encode, transcode, mux, demux, stream, filter and play pretty much anything that humans and machines have created.
HandBrake is a GPL'd multi-platform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter.
ffmpegX is a Mac OS X GUI to ffmpeg the "hyper fast video and audio encoder".