HandBrake was originally available on the BeOS, but now has been ported over to MacOS X and to GNU/Linux.
* Alternatively you can download the latest windows version of this software.
- Can encode directly from DVDs (even encrypted ones) or from VIDEO_TS folders
- Supports AC3, LPCM and MPEG audio tracks
- Outputs MP4, AVI or OGM files
- Outputs AAC, MP3 or Vorbis audio
- Supports 2*pass encoding
- Supports encoding of two audio tracks
- Includes a bitrate calculator
- Supports picture deinterlacing, cropping and scaling
- AC3 in MP4 support
- Multi*track audio support for Apple devices
- Better handling of audio discontinuities
- More flexible, "loose" anamorphic
- Variable frame rate encoding
- MP4 optimization for progressive downloads
- Dynamic range compression for encoding from AC3 audio
- Ability to encode an audio stream and pass it through at the same time
- iPhone*compatible anamorphic (pasp atom)
- Robust program and transport stream support
- Better handling of DVD read errors from invalid VOB units
- Detects and works around missing end of cell markers
- Recovers from loss of signal in a stream
- Drops subtitles less often
- Keeps chapter markers in better sync and prevents duplicates
- Better handling of B*Frames
- Tunes FIFO sizes by CPU count
- Finally squashes the bug that cut off the end of movies
- Preset changes
- Standardizes on standard out for progress and standard error for everything else.
- Correct channel counts when passing AC3 audio to Matroska
- Tag MP4 files as encoded with HandBrake
- No more merging short chapters
- Newer copies of x264,
- VBV 2-pass patch for x264
- Sets keyframes for x264 by frame rate.
- Support for >2GB MKV files in Linux
- Code audio languages in a way QuickTime understands
- Better subtitle positioning
- Fewer crashes in 2*pass encoding
- Leopard Only
- Reads .eyetv files as well as .dvdmedia files
- Much better queue
- More white space
- Code restructuring
- Activity window logging, complete with a "black box recorder" for crashes
- Ability to open a single title for a DVD instead of scanning the whole thing
- Warns people when they try to queue up two files with the same name
- Maintains picture filter states between jobs
- .xib Interface Builder files SVN can track
- Switches to NSImageView for previews, so no more useless OpenGL effects
- Temporary loss of localizations for foreign languages (the old system was broken anyway)
- Separate filter settings for every queued job
Apps similar to HandBrake for Mac 3
HandBrake is a GPL'd multi-platform, multithreaded DVD to MPEG-4 ripper/converter.
ffmpegX is a Mac OS X GUI to ffmpeg the "hyper fast video and audio encoder".
FFmpeg is the leading multimedia framework, able to decode, encode, transcode, mux, demux, stream, filter and play pretty much anything that humans and machines have created.