VLC Media Player 2.1.3
With a new audio core, hardware decoding and encoding, port to mobile platforms, preparation for Ultra-HD video and a special care to support more formats, 2.1 is a major upgrade for VLC.
Rincewind has a new rendering pipeline for audio, with better effiency, volume and device management, to improve VLC audio support.
It supports many new devices inputs, formats, metadata and improves most of the current ones, preparing for the next-gen codecs.
Rincewind fixes around a thousand bugs, in more than 7000 commits from 140 volunteers.
- Rewritten audio core, allowing better volume and device management.
- Rewrite of the audio modules, to adapt to the new core.
- Correct support for multi-channel layouts in all formats: 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1
- New audio outputs for Windows Vista, Android, iOS, OpenBSD and OSSv4.
- New remapping, gain, stereo widening, downmixing effects.
- Higher samplerate, precision, live configuration in the core.
- Numerous new audio metadata format supported.
- Port the OpenGL output to OpenGL ES.
- Support color conversion shaders in glsl on Android and iOS.
- New outputs for OpenMax IL on mobile and Decklink Blackmagic.
- New video outputs for iOS using OpenGL ES2.
- Support for deinterlacing for higher bit depth and XYZ colorspace.
- New anaglyph filter for side-by-side 3D.
- 4K-ready :)
- Add hardware decoding for OS X using VDADecoder.
- Add hardware decoding for Android using MediaCodec.
- Add hardware decoding for GNU/Linux using VDPAU.
- Add hardware encoding for Windows using Intel QuickSyncVideo.
- Support for G2M4, MSS1, MSS2, TSCC2, CDXL, Ut, VBLE video codecs.
- Support for Ulead DV audio, Indeo Audio Coder, RealAudio Lossless audio.
- Support for SCTE-27 and complete EIA-608 subtitles.
- Support for fragmented MP4, Wave/RF64 files.
- Extended metadata tags and cover art support in Ogg, AVI, MP4 and MKV.
- Support FLAC, Atrac, ADPCM, DV Type 1, 12bits DV audio in AVI.
- Extended support for AVI, MKV and MJPEG streams.
- Better recording of AVI and MKV format.
- Audio fingerprinting using AcoustID.
Input and Devices
- Support for screen input on OSX Lion and later.
- Support for Microsoft Smooth Streaming, developed by Viotech.net
- New RTMP input module, using libavformat!
- Support for VNC/rfb and Remote Desktop view-only modes.
- Important improvements on Blu-Ray, Dash, v4l2 and HTTP inputs.
- New AVFoundation OS X and shm framebuffer inputs.
For Anime fans
- New 6.1 downmixer to 5.1 and Stereo from MKV/Flac 6.1.
- Correct YUV->RGB color matrix in the OpenGL shaders.
- Improved MKV support for seeking, and resiliancy.
- Editions support in MKV.
- Better subtitles and metadata support from MKV.
- Various ASS subtitles improvements.
- Port to Android, from 2.1 to 4.3, on ARMv6, ARMv7, x86 and MIPS.
- New port to iOS, from iOS 5 to 7, on all iPads and iPhones after 3GS.
- Partial port to WinRT, for Windows 8, 8.1 and WP8.
- OpenGL ES optimized outputs.
- Improvements of OpenMAX IL decoders, encoders and renderers.
- New audio, video outputs and interfaces for mobiles.
- libVLC and most modules are now LGPLv2.1+.
- libVLC media framework can now be used in all types of applications.
- libVLC SDK packages now exists, in addition to more examples.
- Improved libVLC API, for better control.
- VLC's web plugins now support windowless mode, for smoother integration with HTML elements.
With the capabilities of "RinceWind", 2.1.3 fixes numerous bugs, and improves decoders, notably for the new formats (HEVC and VP9)
2.1.3 fixes numerous bugs, notably numerous regressions introduced in "RinceWind" and 2.1.2. Important fixes involve Audio and Video output management on most platforms.
2.1.3 also improves the demuxer and decoders for most formats, and the various interfaces.
- Fix broken behaviour with SOCKSv5 proxies
- Fix integer overflow on error when using vlc_readdir
- Fix DVB-T2 tuning on Linux
- Fix encrypted DVD playback
- Fix v4l2 frequency conversion
- Fix numerous issues (M2TS, VC1 interlaced, Lagarith, FFv1.3, Xvid) by updating codec libraries
- Bring fluidsynth back on Mac OS X
- Fix some Opus crashes with some filters
- Fix teletext crash on Windows
- Avoid an infinite recursion in MKV tags parsing
- Fix an issue with some Vobsub tracks
- Fix missing samples at the end of some wav files
- Fix divide by 0 on ASF/WMV parsing
- Fix audio device selection via command line on Mac OS X
- Fix audio crashes on Mac OS X
- Fix selection of DirectDraw as the default output for XP
- Fix transform off-by-one issue
- Fix screensaver disabling on Windows outputs
- Fix DirectDraw device enumeration and multi-display output
- Fix a potential crash when playing a fullscreen game at the same time as VLC
- Fix 24bits audio MTU alignment in RTP
- Fix record file names
- Fix minimal size possible on start
- Fix a crash with the simple volume widget
- Fix a crash in the audio menu building
- Fix multimedia keys issues on Windows
- Fix opening of DVD and BD folders on Windows
- Fix album art display on Windows
- Update of Bulgarian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, German, Modern Greek, Spanish, Basque, Finnish, French, Scottish Gaelic, Galician, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Norwegian Bokmål, Nepali, Dutch, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Sinhala, Slovak, Slovenian, Swedish, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Simplified Chinese translations
- Fix encoding for Windows installer translations
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: