Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.
- Beta version updated to 1.7.49
- New version of the Gecko engine based on Firefox 24.
- Preparation work for the Direct3D command stream.
- Window management fixes in the Mac driver.
- Support for IPHLPAPI functions on Android.
- Various bug fixes.