Instantly access to your favorite games
We have thousands of games from Action to Indie and everything in-between. Enjoy exclusive deals, automatic game updates and other great perks.
Join the Steam Community
Meet new people, join game groups, form clans, chat in-game and more! With over 100 million potential friends (or enemies), the fun never stops.
Create and Share Content
Gift your friends, trade items, and even create new content for games in the Steam Workshop. Help shape the future of your favorite games.
Automatic game updates
Hunting for patches and downloading from unorganized web sites is so twentieth-century. On Steam, your games stay up-to-date by themselves. No hassles.
Whether you’re on a PC, Mac, Linux box, mobile device, or even your television, you can enjoy the benefits of Steam. Take the fun with you.
Available on PC, Mac, and Linux
We offer a catalog of PC, Mac, and Linux games, many of which support Steam Play so you can buy once and play anywhere, and Cross-Platform Multiplayer so you can play with all your friends, no matter where they log in
Updated: This client was re-released with an updated Steam Subscriber Agreement that reflects legal changes between Valve Corporation and its affiliate companies, effective January 1, 2017.
Updated web control to CEF v55.0.2883. This version requires Windows 7 or macOS 10.9 and above, users on older OS versions will continue running the existing version.
- Improved the error message shown when trying to run a 64-bit game on a 32-bit OS.
- Improved download and patching speeds when games are installed to a traditional non-SSD hard drive.
- Improved error messages when unable to launch a game that requires a third-party key.
- Added web links to Steam Support pages in Change Password wizard.
- Fixed crash on launch if you had some malformed music album images.
- Fixed third-party mods showing up as the incorrect game name in the friends lists.
- Fixed an issue that could cause non-stop re-downloading of workshop content
- Improved navigation when using the Steam dashboard with the Oculus Touch controller.
- Added higher bandwidth options for 4K streaming.
- Automatically restart Steam if it crashes while streaming a game.
- Updated to support NvFBC with the latest NVIDIA driver.
- Implemented support for Steam Controller personalization while streaming.
- Fixed audio stuttering and dropout when streaming games to a Mac.
- Fixed game crash in D3D9 games when alt tabbing away from them while streaming.
- Added access to the music settings page in the Settings dialog.
- Fixed multiple Web tabs opening in the Web Browser when clicking certain types of links.
- Fixed taking of screenshots in Vulkan-based games
- Show game names in the library page when art for the game is slow to load.
- Fixed crash when launching into Big Picture with an active voice chat.
- Fixed game art being clipped on the suggested game row of the main page.
- Added overlay support for the Windows 10 insider build for 64-bit games.
- Fixed black Store, Community, and web views when Steam is installed underneath an NTFS junction
- Fixed a bug that caused the client to freeze when generating internal error reports.
- Fixed ignored keystrokes for certain keys such as '0' under some versions of macOS
- Fixed issues when installing games onto filesystems, such as ZFS, that report abnormally large sector sizes.
- Added Steam Configurator support for PS4 Dual Shock Controller. Enable in Big Picture settings Add/Test Controller settings. When enabled, PS4 controllers will have access to the same sort of customization/configuration support as Steam Controllers, including native API support. PS4 Controllers using this system can map the trackpad, gyro, buttons, etc. to keyboard, mouse, or x-input outputs and can make use of action sets, touch menus, radial menus, and so forth.
- Added software gyro+accelerometer integration for IMUs without hardware integration. Allows Joystick-Move/D-Pad/Mouse Leaning support for the PS4 gyro input.
- Added New Mode – Joystick Mouse. This is a joystick based mouse control useful for stick based controllers.
- Added controller preference setting for haptics. Haptics can now be globally disabled for a controller or default to the configuration preferences.
- Added support for LED Color setting. Controllers which are capable of setting an LED color can now set this in controller personalization.
- Added LED Brightness/Color controller action binding. The light on the controller can now be changed via a binding. This is useful to mark changes in state such as different action sets or mode shifts, or on start/release press activators for changing while a button is pressed, for example. Light settings are reset to user preference when changing applications/configurations.
- Added software calibration for non-Steam controller based IMUs to counter for gyro drift.
- Modes and bindings which are unavailable to desktop and Big Picture modes will no longer be shown in the configurator.
- Steam now shows a dialog when trying to edit a config for a controller which has opted out of being configurable.
- Unified Radial Menu Button Press/Release behavior on digital inputs such as physical face buttons or d-pads.
- Dismiss quit menu when minimizing or turning off a controller.
- Controllers now support a default Rumble Preference to be On or Off. Games can override this setting or use the default preference for that controller. Setting is available under each controllers Preferences in Controller Settings in Big Picture.
- Individual games can opt out of using Steam Configuration support for the PS4 controller under each game’s Controller Settings. If a game has native PS4 support this allows it to continue to be recognized directly.
- Changed mode shift button activators to be uninterruptible by default.
- Changed Mouse mode Gyro Enable Button to default to Always On when placed on a PS4 Controller.
- Changed Joystick Mouse to default to Wide Response.
- Configuration Browser can now be toggled to show all available controller types rather than the default of the in-use controller type.
- Configurations can now be marked as “Unique” to a specific controller. This configuration will only be applied to that controller for that user's account. By default, all controllers of a specific type will share a configuration unless marked as Unique.
- Fixed a bug where rumble would send to the incorrect controller and could cause controllers to control the incorrect player.
- Fixed default settings not applying properly to mode shifted modes, which could cause certain parameters to be incorrect by default on mode-shifts.
- SteamOS users should update to the latest version of SteamOS, as described here.
- Linux users should consider upgrading your udev rules to allow Steam access to /dev/hidraw* , as described here.
Apps similar to Steam Client 4
Download Origin to play anywhere, challenge friends, explore exciting new games, and stay connected to the Origin community.
Uplay is Ubisoft's PC games portal, where you can find all their games.
GOG Galaxy is a fully optional client to install, play and update your games. It also offers online multiplayer, achievements, chat, game-time tracking and more - but it’s up to you which features you want to use.