Tomahawk is a music player that fundamentally changes the way music is consumed and shared.
It decouples the name of the song from the source it was shared from - and fulfills the request using all of your available sources.
This creates a universal translation layer across music repositories, streaming services and geographic territories.
Let’s start with Tomahawk 0.5. The most obvious things you will see are the new grid views/playback controls, redesigned artist pages and new track pages. But, we also have new Preference and Plug-in Management settings that, among other things, now let you sync your Spotify playlists (bi-directionally) and Last.fm data.
We’ve also improved a bunch of the interface and user experience by adding forward/back navigation controls, prioritizing resolution of any track you try to play (no more waiting for the all the tracks above it in a list to resolve before you can start listening), and adding keyboard media key controls for Windows & Linux in addition to the support for Mac we already had.
A new New Releases feature is now available that lets you browse and play new releases by genre. This is a great companion to our existing Charts (including data from Hype Machine, We Are Hunted, Rdio, Spotify, iTunes, Billboard and more), and a yet another great way to discover music you may love. You will also now find detailed track info pages (from any list by clicking the “i” icon or the song name in the Now Playing window). On that page you you can explore, play and queue related songs.
There are also new controls. In addition to easily being able to play artists and albums directly from the artwork grid views, we also now let you granularly control which of you gTalk, Jabber and Twitter connections can stream from you. We’ve also heard the requests and added support for you to be able to tell Tomahawk to stop playing after a certain song in a list.
A new sharing widget (in the Now Playing window) now lets you easily post your currently playing song to your favorite social networks. To better understand how the sharing works, keep reading below about all the new stuff on Toma.hk to see how sharing and playback of songs and playlists works for virtually any recipient… regardless of whether they use Tomahawk or not.
Last, but not least, Tomahawk has now been translated into more languages including Arabic, Bulgarian, French, Spanish (Castilian), Catalan, Russian, Polish and more. If your language is not completely translated or not yet supported, we would love your help in localizing.
Remember, Tomahawk is open-source and survives on the contributions of others… we can help support us via code, donations (via Flattr) and our/or by buying some or new Tomahawk merchandise.
- Fixed playback-loop caused by duplicate tracks in a playlist.
- Improved peer handling and removed connection support through Twitter.
- Taking an account offline now also disconnects associated peers.
- Improved Spotify protocol handling.
- Added “Append to Playlist” context menu item.
- User-friendlier collection handling: added info-buttons for artists and albums. Double-clicking an item expands it now.
- Charts only load on-demand now.
- Fixed Diagnostics information not correctly updating.
- Fixed issue with hidden sidebar and panels.
- Fixed issues with some color schemes.
- Fixed playing files with special characters in the filename.
- Improved stability.
- Added translations for Catalan, Czech, Galician, Greek, Italian and Chinese.
- (Windows) Smoother and more responsive audio playback.
- (Linux) Fixed grid issues with GTK-styles.
From the Forums
Subscribe to TechSpot
Receive a weekly update of our best features and tech news you don't want to miss: