- Free and open source software under GPLv3
- Multi-platform: runs on Windows, Linux and Mac
- Full UTF-16 support
- Full EPUB 2 spec support
- Multiple Views: Book View, Code View and Preview View
- WYSIWYG editing in Book View
- Complete control over directly editing EPUB syntax in Code View
- Table of Contents generator with multi-level heading support
- Metadata editor with full support for all possible metadata entries (more than 200) with full descriptions for each
- User interface translated into many languages
- Spell checking with default and user configurable dictionaries
- Full Regular Expression (PCRE) support for Find & Replace
- Supports import of EPUB and HTML files, images, and style sheets,
- Documents can be validated for EPUB compliance with the integrated FlightCrew EPUB validator
- Embedded HTML Tidy: all imported files have their formatting corrected, and your editing can be optionally cleaned
The latest versions of Sigil contain hundreds of changes, bug fixes and new features while still retaining the same easy to use interface of earlier versions. Almost all of Sigil’s code has been updated and improved with particular focus on the following areas:
- Stability: All known crashes and related bugs from previous versions have been identified and fixed – making Sigil completely stable for updating your EPUBs.
- Robustness: Sigil can correct even more common problems when reading files, and will no longer exit when opening invalid EPUBs. Saving has been enhanced to perform more integrity checks. Splits and merges can now be done exactly where you want without potential data loss. The cursor position is correctly updated when you switch views, and Find & Replaces work consistently and accurately over one or all files.
- Performance: Sigil is now significantly faster in many areas: opening and changing tabs, generating a TOC, merging files, bulk renaming, replacing text, etc.
- Flexibility: More preferences, options and features were added to let you use Sigil the way you want.