Powerful new tools, such as Timeline and Cinemachine, empower artists to create cinematic content and gameplay sequences without the need of an engineer. Creators can now spend more time doing, less time queueing.
For beginners, students and hobbyists who want to explore and get started with Unity. Completely free — no royalties, no credit card required You fully own any content you create
Everything you need to get started
Unity Personal is a great place for beginners and hobbyists to get started. It includes access to all core game engine features, continuous updates, beta releases, and all publishing platforms.
Move efficiently from prototyping to full production with a truly flexible editor and intuitive workflows supported by tons of tutorials and ready-made assets to guide your learning and development.
Work with the latest
Continuous updates allow you to develop with all the latest and most advanced features for high-end visuals, audio, animation, physics — everything you need to make any kind of game.
Build for all audiences
Target more devices more easily — with Unity, you can build once and deploy to the largest range of mobile, VR, desktop, Web, Console and TV platforms in the industry with a single click.
Known Issues in 2020.1.7f1
- 2D: Crash on Tilemap::ValidateAllTileAssets when opening a specific prefab or dropping it into the scene (1275562)
- AI: A NavMeshAgent GameObject teleports to a near NavMeshSurface when collided with a moving NavMeshObstacle (1072945)
- Asset Bundles: [Performance Regression] AssetBundleLoadAllAssets - Load_Prefabs_AllAssets is significantly slower than 18.4 (1203512)
- Asset Bundles: [Performance Regression] AssetBundleLoadSingleAssets : LoadAsync_Prefabs_SingleAssets is significantly slower than 18.4 (1203511)
- Asset Import Pipeline: [Asset Import] Errors thrown on creating a project using microgame templates (1268154)
- Asset Importers: [Performance Regression] Importing an fbx model is noticeably slower when the model contains Animations (1265275)
- Audio: Unity crashes in Play Mode at FMOD_Resampler_Linear (928576)
- Build Pipeline: Building subscenes without platform package doesn't work (1270120)
- Global Illumination: [GPU PLM] OIDN produces noisy results (1272954)
- Global Illumination: [GPU PLM] Optix denoiser produces noisy results (1272950)
- Global Illumination: [GPU PLM][macOS] Baking is stuck on 'Finalizing Bake' stage when baking on OSX with AMD GPU (1204412)
- Global Illumination: [OSX] Crash on 'Preparing Bake' stage when rebaking GI after changing lighting settings and clearing baked data (1271626)
- Global Illumination: [macOS] BugReporter doesn't get invoked when the project crashes (1219458)
- Global Illumination: gi::InitializeManagers() takes 0.6s during Editor startup (1162775)
- IL2CPP: UnityLinker strips classes used with the SerializeReference attribute (1232785)
- Input: [Linux] Keypad number keys reporting incorrectly (1280104)
- MacOS: [OSX] Shader import in an external exFAT drive crashes Unity (727114)
- Mobile Rendering: [Android][URP] Unpredictable FPS Throttling on a device while rendering an empty Terrain (1261629)
- Mobile: [Android] Keyboard doesn't show up when trying to input text in an Input Field with Hide Mobile Input checked on Android 11 (1258071)
- Mono: Crash with various stack traces when exiting Play Mode after recompiling scripts (1238859)
- Package: [Reflect] Standalone build fails with package errors if Unity Reflect is installed (1266377)
- Packman: Editor crashes when upgrading/downgrading between 2020.1 and 2020.2 (1276565)
- Profiling: Hold on window appears and loads infinitely when setting ProfilerDriver.selectedPropertyPath while the Profiler holds no frames (1278249)
- Project Browser: Crash on using global search patterns (1267138)
- Scene Management: Allocated memory is not cleared when loading and unloading scenes (1275751)
- Scene Management: Crash on GameObject::ActivateAwakeRecursivelyInternal when enabling a broken Prefab (1280054)
- Scripting: Building a project crashes when a Script Component has serialized array of a type that contains a serialized PropertyName field (1267271)
- Scripting: Switching targets in SRP projects will cause XR errors on some platforms (1196164)
- Scripting: [CompilationPipeline] Project recompile and package changes takes a long time when Project includes a lot of packages (1272396)
- Scripting: [SerializedField] fields produce "Field is never assigned to..." warning (1080427)
- Serialization: Prefab changes are not applied and an error occurs when changing fields that have SerializeReference attribute (1237191)
- Serialization: [Performance]Console Pro causes Slow asset refresh when modifying any script, 45 seconds on one line change (1270910)
- Serialization: [SerializeReference] Polymorphic instances are always recreated when applying any inspector value change (1193322)
- Shadows/Lights: Skybox lighting is not rendered after creating gameobjects in the new scene until the lighting is rebaked (1250293)
- Version Control: Unity crashes when connecting to a perforce server with an invalid workspace name in the Project Settings (1275466)
- WebGL: Using XElement.Load(string uri) causes an uncaught abort exception when using dlopen() dynamic linking in Emscripten (1192963)
- WebGL: [Linux] WebGL build always fails and throws a FileNotFoundException (1268262)
- Window Management: [window layout] cannot load editor layout, stuck in infinite loop of "failed to load window layout" (1275270)
- iOS: [UaaL] UnityFramework with 3rd party plugins triggers watchdog termination after launch (1262272)
- iOS: [iOS 14] VideoPlayer crashes on EXC_BAD_ACCESS or signal SIGABRT when audioOutputMode is set to APIOnly or Audio Source (1274837)
2020.1.7f1 Release Notes
System Requirements Changes
For running Unity games
- iOS: minimum version incremented to 10.0 (from 9.0).
- Android: Fixed bug that caused wrong colors for particles when using instancing on Adreno. (1256567)
- Android: Force MSAA support for R11G11B10 on Adreno drivers where we force R11G11B10-support. (1265267)
- Animation: Fixed a memory leak when clearing a playable output notification queue while iterating over this queue. (1266586)
- Audio: Audio with channel counts larger than 2 specified to be encoded as XMA are now automatically encoded as Vorbis due to limitations in the XMA decoder. (1251528)
- Bug Reporter: Fixed a bug that allowed temporary files to be uploaded. (1220950)
- Burst: Fixed a bug on macOS/Linux where if a native hardware exception was triggered, the stack was not aligned correctly and could cause a crash. (1275056)
- Editor: Fixed inspectors not updated when using 'Recompile After Finished Playing. (1196494)
- Graphics: Fixed CopyTexture not copying non-square mips with a width or height of 1. (1272789)
- Graphics: Fixed not correctly falling back to CPU skinning on feature level D3D10.x. (1269149)
- IL2CPP: Correct IL2CPP_SIZEOF_VOID_P defines. (1234885)
- IL2CPP: Fixed error "Attempting to constrain an invalid type" when making a constrained call on a by ref parameter with a modreq or modopt modifier. (1265192)
- IL2CPP: Fixed memory corruption accessing generic structs with StructLayoutAttribute.Size in arrays. (1254451)
- IL2CPP: Properly throw a DirectoryNotFoundException exception on Xbox One when a malformed path is used. (1259468)
- IL2CPP: Properly throw an exception from a finally block nested in a try/catch block. (1248673)
- IL2CPP: Throw a TypeLoadException for a recursively defined type. (1259566)
- IL2CPP: Work around ARM linker branch out of range errors for large projects by enabling the IL2CPP_LARGE_EXECUTABLE_ARM_WORKAROUND define. (1261925)
- Playables: Fixed issue where playing a PlayableDirector in OnDisable would crash Unity. (1274413)
- SceneManager: Fixed crash in EditorSceneManager when running tests with debugallocator.
- SceneManager: Make sure you can't load scenes from script while exiting playmode. (1266194)
- Scripting: Corrected an error in the UnityLinker with System.Text.Json.dll is used. (1241237)
- Terrain: Fixes crash that occurs when modifying terrain data asset during terrain callbacks. Disables destruction of terrain data during callbacks. (1152858)
- Terrain: Improved error messages when parsing BaseMapGen shader passes. (1224162)
- Video: Fixed a race condition that could result in a crash when running play mode tests on Mac. (1254242)
- Timeline: Updated Timeline package version to 1.3.6
- System Requirements
- For development
- OS: Windows 7 SP1+, 8, 10, 64-bit versions only; macOS 10.12+. (Server versions of Windows & OS X are not tested.)
- CPU: SSE2 instruction set support.
- GPU: Graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities.
- The rest mostly depends on the complexity of your projects.
Additional platform development requirements:
- iOS: Mac computer running minimum macOS 10.12.6 and Xcode 9.0 or higher.
- Android: Android SDK and Java Development Kit (JDK); IL2CPP scripting backend requires Android NDK.
- Universal Windows Platform: Windows 10 (64-bit), Visual Studio 2015 with C++ Tools component or later and Windows 10 SDK
For running Unity games
Generally content developed with Unity can run pretty much everywhere. How well it runs is dependent on the complexity of your project. More detailed requirements:
- OS: Windows 7 SP1+, macOS 10.12+, Ubuntu 16.04+
- Graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities.
- CPU: SSE2 instruction set support.
- iOS player requires iOS 10.0 or higher.
- Android: OS 4.4 or later; ARMv7 CPU with NEON support; OpenGL ES 2.0 or later.
- WebGL: Any recent desktop version of Firefox, Chrome, Edge or Safari.
- Universal Windows Platform: Windows 10 and a graphics card with DX10 (shader model 4.0) capabilities
- Exported Android Gradle projects require Android Studio 3.4 and later to build
Recent Unity news
Software similar to Unity 5
The Unigine SDK allows the development of 3D graphics software for simulation, visualization, scientific research, video games, virtual reality systems and more.
Unreal Engine is now free. Free for game development. Free for Virtual Reality. Free for education. Free for architecture. Free for film.