Unity Game Engine lets you create real-time 3D projects for games, animation, film, architecture, engineering, manufacturing and construction. Unity includes tools to empower artists to create cinematic content and gameplay sequences without the need of an engineer.
Many high-profile games have been created using Unity, supporting multiple platforms including desktop, mobile, console and VR.
Is Unity free?
Unity offers a free Personal plan that includes all core features to create games and interactive experiences. It also includes support for Unity Ads and the in-app purchase plugin. You can download it and use Unity free of charge as long as your revenue (or funds raised in the last year) does not pass $100K.
Can I create AAA games with Unity?
Yes, you can. Unity has been used to create hundreds of popular games. Highlights include the likes of Among Us, Beat Saber, Genshin Impact, Pokémon Go, Super Mario Run, Iron Man VR, PC Building Simulator, Pillars of Eternity, Kerbal Space Program, Hearthstone, Temple Run, among many others.
Which is easier to use, Unity or Unreal Engine?
There is no right answer to that question. Both game engines are extremely robust and offer a fully featured free version to get you started. Both have strong communities in which you can participate and consult with. The general consensus at this stage is that Unity and Unreal Engine both are beginner friendly and won't require advanced programming knowledge for simple projects which will get the ball rolling as you learn.
Can I make money with Unity (free)?
Yes, you can create a game and legally sell it with the free version of Unity. You won't pay royalties or any revenue share unless you exceed sales of $100K in a year.
Can I create a game in Unity without coding?
Unity relies on the C# programming language and does require text-based programming. However, to be more welcoming to users with no coding experience, there is a "First-time Users" option that offers completed mini-games that you can edit and play around with, so you can get a better grasp at how the engine works. In that mode, Unity will guide you with step-by-step instructions to create your own tasks and build your own projects.
For beginners, students and hobbyists who want to explore and get started with Unity. Completely free --- no royalties, no credit card required. You fully own any content you create
Everything you need to get started
Unity Personal is a great place for beginners and hobbyists to get started. It includes access to all core game engine features, continuous updates, beta releases, and all publishing platforms.
Move efficiently from prototyping to full production with a truly flexible editor and intuitive workflows supported by tons of tutorials and ready-made assets to guide your learning and development.
Work with the latest
Continuous updates allow you to develop with all the latest and most advanced features for high-end visuals, audio, animation, physics --- everything you need to make any kind of game.
Build for all audiences
Target more devices more easily --- with Unity, you can build once and deploy to the largest range of mobile, VR, desktop, Web, Console and TV platforms in the industry with a single click.
Known Issues in 2022.1.7f1
- AI Navigation: NavMesh::Raycast freezes the whole editor in an infinite loop on Application.UpdateScene (UUM-2496)
- Asset - Database: The creating and import of a new script in Editor became really slow in trunk (UUM-2620)
- HD RP: [HDRP] refraction proxy volumes projection breaks depending on camera orientation and position (UUM-3324)
- Linux: [Backport] [Linux] Editor crashes at "GfxDeviceGLES::DrawBuffersBatchMode" when entering Play Mode in the LEGO tutorial (UUM-971)
- Package: Empty "StreamingAssets" folder gets created after building an empty project (1423325)
- Scene/Game View: Game View is not displayed after setting language pack in Editor (1420291)
- Shader System: Editor crashes when building if calling "ShaderKeyword" methods in "IPreprocessShaders" classes (UUM-2536)
- Shadows/Lights: Individual baking of reflection probe is broken (UUM-1339)
- Text: [Mac] ShortcutManager ignores Shift modifier (UUM-4083)
2022.1.7f1 Release Notes
- Windows: Added "-force-d3d11-flip-model" command line parameter to force Unity to use DXGI flip model swap chain.
- UI Toolkit: Added: Added a NestedInteractionKind enum to ScrollView to give control over event propagation while scrolling.
- 2D: Fixed duplicate instantiated GameObjects from Tiles on Tilemap Prefabs when instantiating the Tilemap Prefabs. (UUM-1671)
- Android: Fixed high memory usage when uploading 2D array textures using Vulkan on Adreno devices. (1418261)
- Android: Fixed Java local reference leak when AndroidJavaProxy is passed as argument to AndroidJavaObject.Call/CallStatic. (1389252)
- Android: Fixed video with alpha when using Vulkan on some older devices. (1407184)
- Android: Fixed VideoPlayer with Vulkan on Samsung GPUs. (1416478)
- Android: To change android:screenOrientation value from "fullSensor" to "fullUser" so that the orientation of the screen can be locked when screen orientation on a device's setting is turned off. (1410778)
- Asset Pipeline: Increasing the default import worker connect timeout, to avoid import worker client processes shutting down unnecessarily, when working with larger projects. (UUM-2502)
- Editor: Fixed crash when moving non-empty folder to a target containing another folder with the same name in the Project Browser. (1389594)
- GI: Fixed SetLightingDataAsset with multiscenes (caused the lightmaps to disappear for other scenes). (UUM-916)
- Graphics: Fixed metal code generation for shaders using IBFE opcode. (UUM-2292)
- Graphics: Fixed occasional crash when compressing to ETC2 with Texture2D.Compress. (1417802)
- Scripting: Fixed issue where OnPostRender is called multiple times per frame when setting Application.targetFrameRate. (UUM-911)
- Scripting: Fixed issue where yielding WaitForEndOfFrame was getting called too many times per Editor player loop. (UUM-904)
- UI Toolkit: Fixed disabled UIDocument still being rendered on editor start. (UUM-793)
- UI Toolkit: Fixed for issue where ArgumentOutOfRangeException is thrown when adding/removing elements from a List in the Inspector. (UUM-957)
- UI Toolkit: Fixed for offset issues and layout delays in default PropertyField on array values when adding or removing items. (UUM-902)
- UI Toolkit: Fixed nested scroll view behaviour on mobile; scrolling will stay in the scroll view that initiated the drag. (UUM-941)
- UI Toolkit: Fixed wrong focus grabbing when refreshing BaseVerticalCollectionView. (1397542)
- Universal Windows Platform: Fixed Application.OpenURL asserting due to not freeing temporary memory. (UUM-2205)
- VFX Graph: Fixed exception when there is a GPU in subgraph and flow link in parent graph. (UUM-571)
- Windows: Fixed Screen.currentResolution containing incorrectly rounded refresh rate. (UUM-1512)
- Windows: Fixed the game window teleporting to another display on certain display setups when switching to exclusive fullscreen mode at resolution that's significantly lower than the display's native resolution. (UUM-1513)
Package changes in 2022.1.7f1
- com.unity.mobile.notifications: 2.0.1 → 2.0.2
Recent Unity news
Software similar to Unity 6
Unreal Engine is now free. Free for game development. Free for Virtual Reality. Free for education. Free for architecture. Free for film.
The most powerful game development platform is now available to everyone. Full engine source code. All features. No royalties. No obligations. No license fee.
More similar downloads