Powerful new tools, such as Timeline and Cinemachine, empower artists to create cinematic content and gameplay sequences without the need of an engineer. Creators can now spend more time doing, less time queueing.
For beginners, students and hobbyists who want to explore and get started with Unity. Completely free — no royalties, no credit card required You fully own any content you create
Everything you need to get started
Unity Personal is a great place for beginners and hobbyists to get started. It includes access to all core game engine features, continuous updates, beta releases, and all publishing platforms.
Move efficiently from prototyping to full production with a truly flexible editor and intuitive workflows supported by tons of tutorials and ready-made assets to guide your learning and development.
Work with the latest
Continuous updates allow you to develop with all the latest and most advanced features for high-end visuals, audio, animation, physics — everything you need to make any kind of game.
Build for all audiences
Target more devices more easily — with Unity, you can build once and deploy to the largest range of mobile, VR, desktop, Web, Console and TV platforms in the industry with a single click.
What's New in version 2019.1:
Editor workflow & performance improvements. 2019.1 marks the start of the newest tech cycle, with lots of new features and functionalities. It increases your potential iteration speeds when developing for Android, improves your workflow and gives you more control over the editor.
Incremental Garbage Collection (Experimental)
In Unity 2019.1 we’re introducing the Incremental Garbage Collector as an experimental alternative to the existing garbage collector for projects targeting the Universal Windows Platform. The Incremental Garbage Collector is able to split its work into multiple slices. Instead of having a single long interruption of your program’s execution to allow the GC to do its work, you can have multiple, much shorter interruptions. While this will not make the GC faster overall, it can significantly reduce the problem of GC spikes breaking the smoothness of animations in your project by distributing the workload over multiple frames.
What to expect from a beta
As with any beta program, you’ll have early access to new features and will be able to assist in the final steps of their development. That means you’re likely to experience Unity as less stable than a final version.
The beta phase begins once all scheduled major features have been included and a quality baseline has been established. Several beta versions will be made available during this phase and quality will improve with each iteration.
NOTE: Remember to backup your project before running it in a Unity beta.
Known Issues in 2019.1.0b2 under investigation
- Asset Import: Error message - Asset import did not unload metadata path. This will leak memory (1106466)
- Editor: "Opening Project in Non-Matching Editor" pop up is missing in HUB while opening 2018.3.x project in 2019.1.a12 (1108963)
- Graphics: Editor throws "GetGfxDevice() should only be called from main thread" errors and eventually crashes when in Play Mode (1110007, 1119496)
- Package Manager: Packages fail to compile and show Package Manager because of missing .NET Core prerequisites (1110751)
- Prefabs: Editing prefabs directly in the project browser is no longer possible (1120805)
- Scripting: Editor crashes when ScriptableObject filename does not match class name when reloading the ScriptableObject (1118266)
- Shaders: ShaderGraph - Slider Node doesn't refresh when values are changed (1106475)
- Video: Video Clip renders only in single Game Window when multiple Game Windows are open (1109551)
Known Issues - won't be fixed in 2019.1
- XR: Linear color space has driver issues on Gear VR with S7 Adreno based phones running Android 7.0.
New 2019.1.0b2 Entries since 2019.1.0b1
- XR: Updated Google VR to version 1.18.0.
- Terrain: Added new callback APIs to monitor the terrain texture changes:
- TerrainAPI.TerrainCallbacks.textureChanged These callbacks tell both the rect region being changed and if the change is CPU synchronized or not (i.e. GPU only).
- Terrain: Added new TerrainData APIs for easier modifying the terrain textures:
- TerrainData.CopyActiveRenderTextureToTexture These two may be used for copying the content of the active RT into the terrain textures, optionally delaying the CPU synchronization, for instance at the event of mouse move in the middle of painting.
- TerrainData.DirtyTextureRegion These two may be used alternatively to the two functions above if the user directly changes the GPU resources by other means.
- TerrainData.SyncTexture These two may be used to do a full synchronization from GPU to CPU, for instance at the event of mouse up.
- Terrain: Deprecate Terrain.ApplyDelayedHeightmapModification. Use TerrainData.SyncHeightmap instead.
- Timeline: Exposed FootIK option on Timeline Animation Clips (1115652)
- 2D: Editor crashes when spriteshape with one sprite on a single angle in scene closes the angle (1115439)
- 2D: PSB files do not get packed when added to Sprite Atlas (1114959)
- 2D: Sprites randomly flipping when moving/zooming camera (1108407)
- Android: Fix Android Plugin Importer - Non-native libraries respecting CPU properties causes problems. (1076868)
- Android: Fix automatic resolution scaling when using Vulkan (1108491)
- Android: Fixed problem with different sign configs for release and debug configuration (1109570, 1120585)
- Editor: Calling GetComponent on a game object for a missing component type will now only cause a GC allocation the first time for the specific game object and missing component type. (1118303)
- Editor: Debug Internal inspector no displays all properties (1118915)
- Editor: Fix SceneViewEditMode tools not exiting on selection or active tool changes. (1115873, 1122167)
- Editor: Fixed an issue where text flickers when displaying a button or label using the IMGUI that has a long text with wordwrap enabled (1115607)
- Editor: Fixed scene un-hide sometimes not working (1111720)
- Editor: Fixed scene visibility column hiding the search path of the hierarchy (1114645)
- Editor: Fixed textures being imported with the platform-specific format when the platform override property is false. (1104345)
- Editor: Removed the incorrect error when a script with spaces in name is attached (1118301)
- Editor: Unhandled Group assertion failure removed when asset store filter was used (1109197, 1118311)
- Editor: Update Undo to return Prefab instances with missing assets to previous state correctly (1056446, 1120316)
- GI: Fixed issue where we can't set Lightmap Parameters from script on non-prefab objects. (966408, 1118289)
- Graphics: Batchmode never calls resource clearing at the end of frame render, as it is done during present. add a new graphics command to notify gfxdevice to clean up frame resources at the end of BatchModeUpdate. (1093649, 1119568)
- Graphics: Editor crashes at MaterialScripting::Lerp when Renderer.material.Lerp() has a null material (1117775, 1119503)
- Graphics: Fixed 16 bits format disabled for RenderTexture on PS4 (1115197)
- Graphics: Fixed crash when using BC6H on PS4 (1115196)
- Graphics: Fixed Package Manager UI not rendering correctly on GLES2. (1108286)
- Graphics: Fixed RenderTexture asset UI to lose selected format data when the selected format is not supported. (1116500, 1116501)
- Graphics: Fixed sRGB RenderTexture failing to be created when enableRandomWrite is on (1115223)
- Graphics: Fixed texture inspector label repeating sRGB twice (1117187)
- Graphics: Fixed WARNING message on Mac Editor with Android build target were a warning shows up for decompressing ETC textures also that the expected behavior because desktop GPUs don't have native ETC format support (1115543)
- Graphics: Improved RenderTexture asset UI to store the user requested format (1115203)
- IL2CPP: Avoid using managed exceptions during time zone initialization. This cause cause crashes on some platforms. (1100856)
- iOS: Fixed crash on startup on 32bit devices using oldish iOS (1109610)
- iOS: Fixed issue where an App won't be automatically deployed to Device when building project via Build and Run. (1108944, 1115493)
- Linux: Fixed cursor not being confined to the game window when using CursorLockMode.Confined on Linux standalone player. (1105204, 1115743)
- Linux: Fixed issue with keyboard input not being captured by the Game view when in Play mode (1109908)
- Package Manager: Disable delete and rename menu items for all package root folders in the Project window. (1101384)
- Particles: Particle Systems could cause graphical glitches and error messages. (1099125, 1111132, 1116662)
- Prefabs: Driven properties no longer cause Prefabs to have overrides for those properties. (1115499)
- Scripting: Consistent targetframeworkversion as shipped with Unity.
- Scripting: Fixed random crash in Asset GC (1091878)
- Scripting: Fixes issue where processing SynchronizationContext tasks would allocate (1114295)
- Scripting: Fixes potential crash when an exception is thrown during domain unload (879906)
- Scripting Upgrade: Fix NotImplementedException when calling XmlSerializationReader.ReadString (1106236)
- Timeline: Added Apply Foot IK option to animation clips to allow users to turn off Foot IK on humanoid animation clips in Timeline (1115652)
- Timeline: Fixed animated object in timeline popping for a single frame when switching Timelines (1109118)
- Timeline: Fixed Animation Clips with Root Curves not properly putting Transforms into Preview Mode (1116007)
- Timeline: Fixed Scene position getting updated with Timeline in Preview Mode when changing offsets (1116297)
- Web: Fix disposing WWW object that has been yield returned from coroutine. (1117213, 1120581)
- WebGL: Make audio work again in Safari after Apple added auto-play restrictions (requires clicking on content to enable audio). (1089060)
Unity Game Engine 2018.3.6
- XR: Update Vuforia to version 7.5.26.
- 2D: Fixed crash on when passing array of nulls to SpriteAtlas.Add. (1089125, 1120906)
- Animation: Fixed a crash when parenting an GameObject during an AnimationEvent. (1115423)
- Asset Pipeline: Optional parameter added to SceneManager.UnloadScene function allowing to unload assets embedded in a scene without calling UnloadUnusedAssets. (998958, 1111167)
- Build Pipeline: Fixed rare data corruption when building asset bundles with LZMA compression. (1118331)
- DX12: Fixed a crash when switching to exclusive fullscreen.
- Editor: Fixed an issue where text flickers when displaying a button or label using the IMGUI that has a long text with wordwrap enabled. (1106201)
- Editor: Fixed crash and validation errors when opening editor windows. (1085277)
- Graphics: Disabled GPU skinning in the Editor when Graphics Emulation is enabled. (1107282)
- Graphics: Fixed an issue where Light Probe Proxy Volumes did not function correctly with Vulkan as the graphics API. (988476)
- Graphics: Improved terrain painting that produces quantization when using OpenGL API. (1114680)
- Graphics: Vulkan: Various stability, performance and correctness fixes.
- Graphics: Vulkan: Various stability, performance and correctness fixes.
- Graphics: [ShaderGraph] Fixed Transparent preview not clearing framebuffer. (1068062)
- IL2CPP: Add support for marshaling fields which are arrays of structs which in turn have arrays as fields. (1106047)
- IL2CPP: Added protocol support for IPv6 on Windows. (1099133)
- IL2CPP: Correctly indicate that IPv6 is not supported on non-IPv6 platforms. (1108823)
- IL2CPP: Emit proper C++ code when type names include characters that are not valid for C++ source code. (1108435)
- IL2CPP: Fixed a crash when using the Environment.MachineName property on some machines when targeting UWP and make it return results consistent with the Standalone Player. (1093953)
- IL2CPP: Fixed an intermittent crash in the native linker on Android. (1108960)
- IL2CPP: Fixed InvalidCastException that can sometimes happen when passing managed object that derives from a native Windows Runtime class to native code. For instance, this happens when deriving from Windows.UI.Xaml.Control.ContentDialog and trying to show it. (1104540)
- IL2CPP: Generate proper C++ code for an out parameter used as SizeParamIndex. (1115412)
- IL2CPP: Handle null explicitly casted to an array and indexed. (1115145)
- IL2CPP: Loaded field addresses via unsigned native integer types properly. (1104370)
- IL2CPP: Prevent a compilation error in generated C++ code when the ldtoken opcode is used in some cases. (1108435)
- IL2CPP: Prevent an compilation error in generated C++ code when an enum field is marshaled. (1104889)
- IL2CPP: Prevent an exception during IL2CPP code conversion that can happen with Trace statements in some cases. (1120880)
- IL2CPP: Prevented a crash at runtime with the .NET 4.x equivalent scripting runtime that can occcur when an enum is nested in a generic type. (1113091)
- IL2CPP: Properly generate code using the in modifier for parameters on abstract methods in a generic type. (1103142)
- Package Manager: Fixed moving files in the editor project view (drag and drop) not working in local packages. (1114391, 1117976)
- Particles: Fixed erroneous Particle System error message: "Sub-emitters must be children of the system that spawns them". (949522, 1089804)
- Particles: Fixed Frame Debugger failing to show draw call information for Particle Systems. (1107382)
- Particles: Fixed incorrect curve evaluation when using the Limit Velocity over Lifetime module with a micture of optimized and non-optimzied curves. (1096701)
- Particles: Fixed particle bounds when using Sprites in the Texture Sheet Animation Module. (1107722)
- Particles: Fixed particle trails could being culled incorrectly when using the World Space trails option. (1089679)
- Particles: Fixed regression bug where offscreen Particle Systems failed to play. (1114729)
- Particles: Fixed scaling regression bugs with Particle Systems. (1112937, 1116160)
- Particles: Fixed Velocity Module Speed Modfiier not applied to the initial simulation step of newly spawned particles. (1111134)
- Particles: Update particle bounce light immediately when the multiplier is changed on the Light. (1102543)
- Physics: Ensure that ContactPoint2D and Collision2D types do not get stripped causing a crash. (1121995)
- Prefabs: Fixed references to Prefabs from scene getting lost if prefab is modified. (1116476)
- Prefabs: Updated Undo to return Prefab instances with missing assets to previous state correctly. (1056446, 1120322)
- Scripting Upgrade: Fixed crash in ScriptUpdater.exe when code contains qualified references to methods of type that were statically imported (#using static). (1081267)
- Shaders: Fixed incorrect shader code generation with tessellation shaders when using the Vulkan API. (1092160)
- Universal Windows Platform: Fixed IL2CPP crashing when using certain new types (like Windows.Foundation.GuidHelper.Equals) in Windows SDK 17763 or newer.
- Universal Windows Platform: Fixed memory leaks on .NET backend when calling Mesh.SetVertices(), Mesh.SetUVs(), Mesh.SetTriangles() methods. (1042218)
- Windows: Fixed setting refresh rate in exclusive fullscreen mode having no effect on D3D11 and D3D12. (975924)
- XR: XR devices in new input system package are now all Y-up is away from the user. (1091918)
Apps similar to Unity 2
Unreal Engine is now free. Free for game development. Free for Virtual Reality. Free for education. Free for architecture. Free for film.