- Play all files, in all formats, including exotic ones, like classic VLC media player.
- Play MKV, multiple audio tracks (including 5.1), and subtitles tracks (including SSA!).
- Support for network streams, including HLS, MMS or RTSP.
- Include video filters, playback speed manipulation, and fine seeking.
- A video media library, with WiFi Upload, Dropbox integration and optional passcode lock.
- Integration for bluetooth headsets and AirPlay.
- Supports iOS 5.1 or later including the first iPad.
- Completely free, libre and open source.
Devices and iOS version:
VLC for iOS requires iOS 5.1 or later. It runs on any iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, including the first iPad.
Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 5.1 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
- Added support for Apple Watch - control VLC from your watch! - playback control, media info and library browsing
- Added mini-player to browse the library during playback
- Added support for looping playlists
- New ingest mechanism for audio files
- Improved remote command support
- Improved thumbnail generation
- Improved thumbnail and web interface performance on devices with A5 SoC and above
- Fixed crash when playing media from a folder or music album on iPad
- Fixed crash when app goes to background while a video is playing
- Fixed privacy leak when using a passcode to protect the library
- Removed stray popup announcing VLC's crash all the time while it actually
- didn't crash before, but terminated by the user
- Added support for password-protected PLEX shares
- Thumbnails displayed in the media library are updated to the last playback position
- Improved reliability when sharing media library on the local network
- Improved media library search delivering more accurate results
- Fixed 'crop to fill screen' on iPad
- Fixed issue which prevented downloading of a few files via UPnP
- Fixed crash when screen is being locked during playback
- A large number of bug fixes affecting most parts of the app