- A new trojan virus is targeting computers running Mac OS X and initiating an encrypted reverse-shell connection, allowing attackers potentially unfettered access to infected machines armed with basic, inbound-only firewalls. Security firm Intego appears to be the first to report…
- In partnership with Symantec, Microsoft has disrupted yet another botnet, marking its sixth takedown in the three years since starting Project MARS (Microsoft Active Response for Security). Called "Bamital," the malware network has evolved into several variations since Symantec began…
- Microsoft Security Essentials has once again failed to make the grade for certification at AV-Test, an independent but non-required honor that most anti-virus programs enjoy. By extension, Windows 8's built-in virus protection, Windows Defender, likely suffers the same shortcomings as…
Three days after a critical Java vulnarability was widely reported, Oracle has issued an update to shut down the potential exploit and secure browsers using Java. You can update to Java SE 7u11 to secure your PC (or disable Java altogether). The security hole made browsers vulnerable to remote exploits when visiting a malicious website.
- A sophisticated, multi-layered trojan dubbed "Eurograbber" is estimated to be responsible for siphoning over €36 million -- or about $46.5 million -- from the bank accounts of unsuspecting Europeans. In a case study (pdf) performed by Versafe and Check Point Software Technologies, researchers reveal…
- Researchers at Kaspersky Lab have discovered an advanced piece of malware dubbed miniFlame (officially referred to as “SPE” and “John” by the designers) being used to attack high-profile targets. miniFlame works as an espionage add-on tool alongside similar state-sponsored code…
Downloads and Drivers
Subscribe to TechSpot
Get free exclusive content, learn about new features and breaking tech news.