0x0000007B Blue Screen Error at Bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I'm posting here because the hdd is most likely causing the problem.

I put together a pc. Everything is new except the hdd, cd rom, and floppy. It turns on, i can get into bios, but if I don't choose to get into bios a few secs later I get this blue screen error-
0x0000007B(0XF78AE640,OXC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000). It says that there was a problem and the computer has been turned off to protect from damage, etc. Then it gives the above number and says to check for viruses on hdd, check hdd and hdd controllers, and to remove any new hardware.

I think that the cause of the problem is that there were too many hardware changes done at once or windows doesn't have the drivers for the new hardware. This is a hdd from my other computer, and right now I have Windows XP Pro installed.

So, how can I fix this? I mean..I know there has to be a way to install a hdd from another computer. Thanks.

Unfortunately, there is no simple way to transfer an HDD from one motherboard to another. Most savvy people wouldn't even dare it.

This is exactly the behavior to expect from such an upgrade.

If you want to keep trying, see if you can go into Safe Mode by pression "F8" just before the Windows logo appears.
If you can get into Safe Mode, you'll have to get into Device Manager and remove all the hardware of your old stuff. As well as any startups relating to old hardware.

Basically, XP has to rebuild its driver information, its HAL, and other such files. If it can't, well, you see here.

Backup and reload is the best option.

I tried safemode already and it doesn't work. What exactly do you mean by backup and reload? Do i have to format the hdd? Thanks for the reply.

Yes, you'll want to format and reload. Backup is getting any data off the system before you format, or it will all be LOST! That means address book, E-Mail, favorites, Office documents, Word, Excell etc... Any tax data, Quicken, special downloads you want to keep.

Somehow you'll have to transfer the files somewhere else before you reload.
Then, put in your XP CD and start the computer, it should say "Press any key to boot from CD...". Do that. Then follow the instructions.
At some point it will show you the partitions, you want to format NTFS when it comes there.

Note that this will completely erase the drive and XP will be loading from scratch. When it's done you'll have to find, download, and install any drivers and updates needed.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back