128MB or 256MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggert

OK, I've decided to go ahead and get the Sapphire RADEON 9800 ATLANTIS PRO but I was wondering if I should go ahead and spend the extra cash and get the 256MB of memory on the card or just 128MB?

Thanks,
William T. Thompson

I have no idea. What's the price difference?

The 256MB ones use DDRII, which ought to be able to be overclocked a bit higher than DDRI, and that may be worth it.

The reviews I've seen don't show much of a difference between the 128MBDDRI and 256MBDDRII boards...I think I'll wait until the 256MB boards make it to a few more review sights b-4 making up my mind on that one...

Here's a review I found a HotHardware comparing the two cards. It's a very extensive review, but I think it will tell you what you want to know. Here's a snippet of there conclusion.
Overall we were impressed with the 256MB ATi Radeon 9800 Pro. However, It is tough to justify spending the extra money for a 256MB video card at the moment. We're certain the extra memory will come in handy in the future, when more demanding games like Doom III or Half Life 2 are released, but for now there isn't much of a benefit unless you're running at higher resolutions with Antialiasing enabled. Presently, the 128MB Radeon 9800 Pro can be found for approximately $400 at some on-line retailers. When it ships, the 256MB model's street price is expected to hover around $500. Deciding whether or not the extra performance is worth the $100 price premium is ultimately up to you......
Edit; Also see the new front page thread.

Originally posted by olefarte
Edit; Also see the new front page thread.

Due to the human factor that review will have to wait a few more minutes ;)

I pulled the news because it linked to their old review... Will be back up again as soon as Anton fixes it... The review was of 7 different 9800 boards...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back