13 Years of Assassin's Creed: An Annual Globe-Trotting Time-Travelling Stealth Game

"Who would have guessed that stealthily scaling a building with a trusty hidden blade would become an annual tradition"
Plenty of us who've seen every other franchise flogged to death by the same studio (Far Cry, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon / Rainbow Six / Splinter Cell, Anno, Rayman, The Settlers, Just Dance, Prince of Persia, etc)... I mean Ubisoft openly admit themselves that fresh original ideas are not exactly their thing... :D

Plenty of us who've seen every other franchise flogged to death by the same studio (Far Cry, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon / Rainbow Six / Splinter Cell, Anno, Rayman, The Settlers, Just Dance, Prince of Persia, etc)... I mean Ubisoft openly admit themselves that fresh original ideas are not exactly their thing... :D

The problem in my view is not coming up with something original, but making what you have good, fun and interesting, which is what they fail at. Look at AC Valhalla, they copied from CDPR and Rockstar many things, and instead improving and building upon what they copied, they just made it worse...

I can remember talking to some of the developers and team leaders back in early 2007 about their forthcoming Assassin's Creed game and one of them (I can't recall who) remarked that Ubisoft were committed to spending a seven figure sum on the development of the series. At that point it was clear that we were going to see a lot of AC titles -- have to recoup that kind of money somehow...

The graphics get prettier and prettier, but the gameplay remains as hollow and unconvincing as ever. I remember when I first played AC carefully planning my assassination against the first few targets like they said you should in the tutorial before I realized it wasn't necessary. Just pile in there, then run away two hundred yards and hide in a bale of hay, rinse and repeat.

I haven't played a single Assassins Creed since AC4: Black Flag.

My favorite is still AC2. The series jumped the shark with Assassins Creed 3, and should have stopped in AC4 or at least slowed down to only one title every 2 years or so.

Played the original. Played through it, beat it, liked it...but hated how they try to make the ridiculous future story instead of keeping the game rooted in the past.

Played the second, got bored, moved on to other franchises.

The original AC was fun - a bit repetitive and at times a little empty feeling, but still fun.

AC2 was a bit better, the combat was fleshed out more. Story was engaging, just as it was in the first game.

AC Brotherhood, not much changed over AC2. Story was still kind of fun to follow.

AC Revelations - the game series is now getting long in the tooth and the story is getting weird, like they're completely making things up as it goes.

AC3 - you are a f'ing one man army! 10 soldiers against you at one time - no problem! I'd get so bored in the game I used to get as many soldiers to fight me at once so I could just slaughter them. The ship combat in AC3 was kind of fun, but even the small portion of the game that utilized it, it got dull. I forgot how things went storywise from the previous games and didn't care at this point.

I stopped playing after AC3.

AC should never have had combat designed this way in my opinion. Going through and fighting hoards and hoards of soldiers is not what an Assassin does. Should be sneaking in, taking out a target and getting out without being spotted. The game Thief: The Dark Project that released back in 1998 did this very well....sneak in, taking on one soldier was doable, but posed a risk to your health. Taking on 2 or more and you were screwed. The object was to not get spotted, stay hidden, run to survive and do your mission without a lot of direct combat.

AC, much like the new Tomb Raider games, turned into a Terminator/John Wick/Universal Soldier game....you drop bad guys in combat with ease as you galivant across the world without a care because you're basically invincible.

The graphics get prettier and prettier, but the gameplay remains as hollow and unconvincing as ever. I remember when I first played AC carefully planning my assassination against the first few targets like they said you should in the tutorial before I realized it wasn't necessary. Just pile in there, then run away two hundred yards and hide in a bale of hay, rinse and repeat.

Right, when you boil it down, Assassin's creed is just a Tenchu clone, ten years later, but with vastly bigger budget.

I bought the original Assassin's Creed on release, and got bored with it in exactly the same amount of time I did with Tenchu 2; It boggles the mind how bored people must be to keep coming back for more historical bloody cut-scenes.

I'm ashamed to say it but I'm only now, for the first time, playing an Assassin's Creed title, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Now, I understand that for many AC purists, the Assassin's Creed series has become completely different from its origins and I feel for you because I know that I'd hate it if my favourite game series departed from what made it unique. I am by no means an expert on Assassin's Creed and I do not claim to be.

What I am an expert on however, is what makes a game great. I've played so many games in my lifetime that I'm not even sure that I could list them all. I started on an Atari 2600 when I was 4 and was an arcade hound in my teens. I can say with certainty however, that even if Odyssey isn't a "true" AC game, it is nevertheless phenomenal, easily one of the top three games that I've played in the last ten years.

The sheer scale of this game is mind-boggling. The open world itself is gigantic. I used to think that Skyrim and Witcher III had big worlds but they pale in comparison to Odyssey (or at least it seems like they do). Recently, I've been disappointed by how quickly I finished both Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Those games lasted me a week each while Odyssey has lasted me six weeks so far and it's still not done (I have the legendary version with all DLCs included). I finished the main story a week ago so the base game lasts about five weeks.

The fact that this game hasn't gotten the least bit boring is a testament to how much effort Ubisoft Montreal put into it. The naval battles with Greek Triremes is just awesome ("RAMMING SPEED!") and the way the Agean Sea acts is incredibly realistic with different states from calm and flat to storms with huge swells and waves. I still love going out and sinking pirate ships, something that I think will never get old.

Finally, the presentation of the game is nothing short of awe-inspiring. Ubisoft's attention to detail is made very apparent with the designs of the major cities like Athens, Corinth, Argos, Thebes and Sparta. Presentation-wise, this game is every bit as beautiful as Witcher III and that is high praise indeed.

Beautiful and realistic city-states alone aren't enough though because lots of games have that but some of those developers ignored the "little things" that give the cities life. Ubisoft Montreal on the other hand, has ignored nothing. In Odyssey, the characters actually sound Greek (unlike in the countless movies where the Ancient Greeks sounded like English royalty).

Also, the spellings and pronunciation of everything is authentic. Hell, I had to go back and edit what I wrote because I realised that I had typed "Korinth" instead of "Corinth". Learning that "Macedonia" is actually spelled "Makedonia" and pronounced "Mak-eh-do-NEE-ah" really gives a feel of being in Greece instead of just playing a game that is set there. There is no "soft c" in the Greek Alphabet so anything word with a c in it is comes from kappa which is K and Ubisoft took the time to implement this. I've also heard the word "malaka" so many times that it's starting to feel like a normal word. :laughing:

I think that part of the reason that I love Odyssey so much (other than having always been fascinated by Ancient Greece, even as a child) is that it eats up time very quickly. It's the perfect game to lose yourself in to fend off cabin fever when you're stuck at home during a world pandemic. Being bored is impossible when playing this game because even the more grind-y missions are interesting.

I'll definitely be playing more AC titles now because, as much as I hate to admit it, I actually have been enjoying it more than Far Cry (and I LOVE the Far Cry series). It's quite clear that Assassin's Creed is definitely Ubisoft Montreal's marquee title series. Not bad for a game that was originally supposed to be the next "Prince of Persia" sequel, eh?

I got the legendary version (on sale) for $28CAD. When I saw it, I thought "It must be good to have survived this long and had this many titles so what the hell?" and bought it. It's easily one of the biggest games I've ever downloaded at over 90GB. Considering how it has made me immune to COVID cabin fever, it's perhaps the best gaming value that I've ever purchased. Well, ok, it's the second-best because nothing could compare to the original PC version of Starflight because that took over a year to complete. :laughing:

I thoroughly enjoyed first and second games. Then I stopped playing them for a while. I returned for Black Flag and loved almost everything about it (my love for sea games is eternal).
Then I took a long break again, after finding out I hated the one about England.
I fell in love with ancient Greece. I mean the gameplay was much to be desired, but when I started discovering those little islands with houses built of white granite, I started studying Greek architecture. The emersion in the world was a great memory for me and it was 40 bucks well spent.
I think most of us will agree, nobody creates those ancient cities and countries like Ubisoft does. 30 years ago it would be very hard to believe that you could walk on the streets of old Florencia, to see an ancient Egypt city from a pyramid top, and to see many more amazing places we once built again.
I feel like one day a new gaming studio could rise. A studio that would recreate amazing places that were built hundreds of years ago, but it would also take time to implement an amazing gameplay, gameplay that Ubisoft does not know exists.
And that would be the end of Assassins' Creed series.

I'm ashamed to say it but I'm only now, for the first time, playing an Assassin's Creed title, Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Now, I understand that for many AC purists, the Assassin's Creed series has become completely different from its origins and I feel for you because I know that I'd hate it if my favourite game series departed from what made it unique. I am by no means an expert on Assassin's Creed and I do not claim to be.

What I am an expert on however, is what makes a game great. I've played so many games in my lifetime that I'm not even sure that I could list them all. I started on an Atari 2600 when I was 4 and was an arcade hound in my teens. I can say with certainty however, that even if Odyssey isn't a "true" AC game, it is nevertheless phenomenal, easily one of the top three games that I've played in the last ten years.

The sheer scale of this game is mind-boggling. The open world itself is gigantic. I used to think that Skyrim and Witcher III had big worlds but they pale in comparison to Odyssey (or at least it seems like they do). Recently, I've been disappointed by how quickly I finished both Rise and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Those games lasted me a week each while Odyssey has lasted me six weeks so far and it's still not done (I have the legendary version with all DLCs included). I finished the main story a week ago so the base game lasts about five weeks.

The fact that this game hasn't gotten the least bit boring is a testament to how much effort Ubisoft Montreal put into it. The naval battles with Greek Triremes is just awesome ("RAMMING SPEED!") and the way the Agean Sea acts is incredibly realistic with different states from calm and flat to storms with huge swells and waves. I still love going out and sinking pirate ships, something that I think will never get old.

Finally, the presentation of the game is nothing short of awe-inspiring. Ubisoft's attention to detail is made very apparent with the designs of the major cities like Athens, Corinth, Argos, Thebes and Sparta. Presentation-wise, this game is every bit as beautiful as Witcher III and that is high praise indeed.

Beautiful and realistic city-states alone aren't enough though because lots of games have that but some of those developers ignored the "little things" that give the cities life. Ubisoft Montreal on the other hand, has ignored nothing. In Odyssey, the characters actually sound Greek (unlike in the countless movies where the Ancient Greeks sounded like English royalty).

Also, the spellings and pronunciation of everything is authentic. Hell, I had to go back and edit what I wrote because I realised that I had typed "Korinth" instead of "Corinth". Learning that "Macedonia" is actually spelled "Makedonia" and pronounced "Mak-eh-do-NEE-ah" really gives a feel of being in Greece instead of just playing a game that is set there. There is no "soft c" in the Greek Alphabet so anything word with a c in it is comes from kappa which is K and Ubisoft took the time to implement this. I've also heard the word "malaka" so many times that it's starting to feel like a normal word. :laughing:

I think that part of the reason that I love Odyssey so much (other than having always been fascinated by Ancient Greece, even as a child) is that it eats up time very quickly. It's the perfect game to lose yourself in to fend off cabin fever when you're stuck at home during a world pandemic. Being bored is impossible when playing this game because even the more grind-y missions are interesting.

I'll definitely be playing more AC titles now because, as much as I hate to admit it, I actually have been enjoying it more than Far Cry (and I LOVE the Far Cry series). It's quite clear that Assassin's Creed is definitely Ubisoft Montreal's marquee title series. Not bad for a game that was originally supposed to be the next "Prince of Persia" sequel, eh?

I got the legendary version (on sale) for $28CAD. When I saw it, I thought "It must be good to have survived this long and had this many titles so what the hell?" and bought it. It's easily one of the biggest games I've ever downloaded at over 90GB. Considering how it has made me immune to COVID cabin fever, it's perhaps the best gaming value that I've ever purchased. Well, ok, it's the second-best because nothing could compare to the original PC version of Starflight because that took over a year to complete. :laughing:
If you liked Odyssey, you might also enjoy Origins,which is usually on sale for a solid price. That is, if you ever run out of things to do in Odyssey!

When Assassin's Creed first debuted, I think traversal and mobility of the character was a big deal. Today the standard to impress a gamer is way higher. There have been ups and downs to the series, but they seem to have made detailed settings and characters a staple of the franchise. The ability to blend that with fun gameplay or interesting characters helps the title stand up over time.

This article is only telling me a lot of people at Ubisoft haven't an original thought in their head. Far too many AC games in 13 years. Far too many.
I'm not really sure what you're thinking but Ubisoft Montreal is one of the largest video game development studios in the world. Ubisoft Montreal puts out Assassin's Creed but that's not all they produce there. Don't forget about the Far Cry and Tom Clancy series as well. Not bad considering that Montreal is only one of Ubisoft's locations. In fact, there have been so many games put out by Ubisoft Montreal that the list of them has its own dedicated wikipedia page. Remember, this is only the Montreal location, not all of Ubisoft:
List of Ubisoft Montreal video games
Ubisoft is easily one of the top-5 video game developers in the world and they make a lot more than just Assassin's Creed. I'm actually amazed that the people working at the Montreal studio have time for anything considering the quality put into the Assassin's Creed and Far Cry series alone.

I appreciate about Assassins' Creed, mostly, its attention to detail and environment.
The best is one with the setting in France imo.

Its a way they tell a story through the feel of the environment and the architecture of the building as if you are asked to explore more and more every nook and edges on the buildings to navigate, as they said in the article. The thing about exploring is that imagination fulfils that scene, as long as everything seems right and the design artists used theirs to make the feel about things right. You just sit back and enjoy whatever your exploration lead you into. Might be the sunsets, the edge of a river or morning by the side of a farm.

One of the greatest gaming franchises ever! The different settings, the different fight mechanics, different stories and exploration. There isn't a series that even comes close. I have enjoyed them all, so glad that Ubisoft took a chance like no other developer/publisher. Could you imagine if EA had done the same with the Star Wars license? What kind of amazing games could we have to play now?

Back