14 million people upgraded to Windows 10 in the first day

Scorpus

Staff member

Microsoft has announced that in the 24 hours after the launch of Windows 10, more than 14 million people downloaded and installed the update on their devices. While there's still a long way to go before Windows 10 displaces Windows 7 as the most used operating system in the world, these early figures indicate Window 10 is well on the way to being a success.

The number of Windows 10 installs is set to increase significantly over the next few days, as Microsoft states that they still have "many more upgrades to go" before they deploy the operating system to every person who reserved it. It's not clear how long it will take Microsoft to deploy Windows 10 everyone, but the process has been gradual so far.

The fact Microsoft has achieved so many Windows 10 upgrades in just 24 hours is in-part thanks to the company's choice to release the operating system for free to those upgrading from Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. This is the first time Microsoft has offered a major operating system update for free, a choice that has gone down well with consumers.

Windows 10 has been generally well received by the public, even though the operating system has launched with some bugs and issues. It's expected that the first major update to Windows 10 will launch as soon as next week, fixing some of these issues and applying general polish to the OS.

If you're not one of the 14 million people who have upgraded to Windows 10 already, and want to do so without waiting for your upgrade to be ready, you can simply download Microsoft's Windows 10 installation tool and perform an upgrade from there.

Permalink to story.

Everyone will upgrade cause it's free but the question is how many people will revert back once they try it out? It's a good OS and all, but still there will be people who don't like it and who are concerned about privacy. Someone should make an article on how to minimize the amount of data you send to Microsoft.

"14 million people downloaded and installed the update on their devices."

Yes, I know some of these people. Most of them really don't have a clue what they're doing. They just got an offer to upgrade for free and figured it was a windows update. They can't even tell the difference between "upgrade" and "update." These are your millions of average, clueless consumers. I'd be more interested in hearing how many people have actually PAID for Windows 10 already.

Most tech savvy people have made up their minds about Windows 10 a long time ago. The ones that simply couldn't wait have most likely already been running the beta for a while, and the rest are patiently waiting for the right time to upgrade, or simply don't want to (or need to).

I've made it no secret that DX12 is the selling point that's going to get me to upgrade, but I have some concerns about privacy and I don't much like ads. When I add that to my pile of concerns regarding a newly released operating system, there's not much incentive for me to upgrade yet.

There are lots of articles about limiting the info you share. Just google it.

Everyone will upgrade cause it's free but the question is how many people will revert back once they try it out? It's a good OS and all, but still there will be people who don't like it and who are concerned about privacy. Someone should make an article on how to minimize the amount of data you send to Microsoft.

Yes, I know some of these people. Most of them really don't have a clue what they're doing. They just got an offer to upgrade for free and figured it was a windows update. They can't even tell the difference between "upgrade" and "update." These are your millions of average, clueless consumers. I'd be more interested in hearing how many people have actually PAID for Windows 10 already.

Most tech savvy people have made up their minds about Windows 10 a long time ago. The ones that simply couldn't wait have most likely already been running the beta for a while, and the rest are patiently waiting for the right time to upgrade, or simply don't want to (or need to).

I've made it no secret that DX12 is the selling point that's going to get me to upgrade, but I have some concerns about privacy and I don't much like ads. When I add that to my pile of concerns regarding a newly released operating system, there's not much incentive for me to upgrade yet.

Then don't upgrade and just keep complaining about nothing!

Then don't upgrade and just keep complaining about nothing!

I thought it was a very balanced and honest post actually. He's not "brainlessly" updating to Windows 10 just because he can. He's waiting for the right moment. I am in a somewhat similar position. However, I am not forced with choosing between the two. I am fortunate enough to have two computers. I run Windows 7 on 1 computer and Windows 10 on the other.

But his point is very valid. It's the same as it was with Windows 8. There's not any truly compelling reasons to upgrade to Windows 10 at this point. It's all propaganda bullet points right now.

"Better Security" - phhffftttt!!!!! Look at all the security patches released for Windows 10 already and it's been out less than a week.
"Cortana" - phffftttt!!!!!
"Edge Browser" - phhhffftttt!!!!!!!
"Fast boot times" - I must admit this is actually a valid and desirable point but it's not enough on it's own to give up Windows 7
"Biometric Security" - pphhhhffftttt!!! - I won't use it.

Windows 10 just doesn't bring all that much new to the table that actually makes a difference. Maybe in time it will.

"Better Security" - phhffftttt!!!!! Look at all the security patches released for Windows 10 already and it's been out less than a week.
"Fast boot times" - I must admit this is actually a valid and desirable point but it's not enough on it's own to give up Windows 7

IMO there are no good reasons to upgrade but I did just to see what's up and to have the "latest" operating system, that's pretty much the reason.
Security? I already feel more secure by knowing MS is collecting as much data as they can, having my passwords and email and everything, selling info to government.
Edge browser is really fast and is there with Chrome and Firefox, I liked it until I saw that music will stop if you minimze the browser.
I disabled Cortana, not interested. Also, boot times don't matter to me and I've talked about security.

I thought it was a very balanced and honest post actually. He's not "brainlessly" updating to Windows 10 just because he can. He's waiting for the right moment. I am in a somewhat similar position. However, I am not forced with choosing between the two. I am fortunate enough to have two computers. I run Windows 7 on 1 computer and Windows 10 on the other.

But his point is very valid. It's the same as it was with Windows 8. There's not any truly compelling reasons to upgrade to Windows 10 at this point. It's all propaganda bullet points right now.

Windows 10 just doesn't bring all that much new to the table that actually makes a difference. Maybe in time it will.
To that, I can only say, "Cheers!" It's nice to see that there are people in this world who can read, and furthermore, has the ability to reason.

Privacy is a issue with windows 10 but is no different from any other company collecting data. I am more worry about the fact that if u upgrade like I have already u can't change any major hardware or there is a high chance that your windows will not activate most people are always going to upgrade hardware at some point.
Now u will be force to buy the retail version, and trying to go back to your original OS is already causing many people issues. I hope that Microsoft will address these issues in the near future and change their Privacy policy but I serious doubt it.

I agree.
My tech savvy friend told me this:
I already installed it on the Surface Pro, in order to test it and decide if I will revert to 8.1 (I have a full backup) or not
I already disabled Cortana, Windows defender (since I use a full-fledged security suite) and many useless features.

What I did notice though is the awful settings panel, even more convoluted than in Win 8.1 and settings that plain disappeared, I had to go to the Group Policy editor to disable Windows Defender for instance.

plus, there were really many things to disable, telemetry, error reporting, sharing your wifi SSID with your contacts (what dumb idea is this ?) Yes there are many useless services, "apps" and stuff to remove in the first place.

To all those people who downloaded windows 10 - great if you can get it !!
Latest e.mail from microsoft says it could be days or weeks before it is available to all.
What a pathetic marketing stratagy.

To all those people who downloaded windows 10 - great if you can get it !!
Latest e.mail from microsoft says it could be days or weeks before it is available to all.
What a pathetic marketing stratagy.
You can download it manually, you don't have to wait. Just Google it I can't remember the name of their program.

This is one of those instances where an asterisk, ' * ', is required next to the stat.

It's sort of like when the guy who just broke the season home record, gets caught using performance enhancing drugs. "Batster McHitithard", blasted 75 home runs during the 2018 regular season. He will begin serving his 100 game suspension for doping at the beginning of the 2019 season, along with an asterisk being placed next the somewhat suspect statistic...

M$'s "Windows 10" was downloaded 14,000,000 times on the day it was released. But, since 13,999,999 of those copies were free, it gets the big...." * ", next to the stat.

Ten games were tacked onto the end to the suspension, because Batster spit a plug of chewing tobacco at an umpire, after being called out on strikes in the 9th inning of the last game of the regular season. During the press conference after the game, McHitithard remarked, (clearly suffering from "roid rage"), "these umpires are blind, I've lost 250.000 followers on Facebook over a charge of which I'm completely innocent, and now because my thieving agent didn't pay my Windows 10 subscription fee, M$ has shut off my computer...."!:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
In installed windows on one of my computers last night. It installed properly and I was using it when a message popped up stating that there was an error ad it would be collecting data. I left the computer alone for a while. When I returned a hour later the same screen presented. I turned the computer off to restart. It did not restart. My screen says no signal even though the power button is lite. Fortunately, I've made a USB bootable disk with easeus todo backup earlier. I think I have to restore to the the old system. And have to lose the files saved on the desktop. :D

Back