2 IPs on one network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! First time poster here.
I got a second computer which I connected to my main one with a cross-over cable. Everything works like in a dream, except for I want to assign a different external IP to the new computer (I get 2 from my ISP). Is that at all possible with my configuration? I looked around on the web and it always mentions a router or a hub.
Thanks for your help.

if you mean the dns ip's just switch the 2 around
you need a back up incase one fails
so your nic config looks som'n like this:
static ip's
192.168.1.100 ----> 192.168.1.200
255.255.255.0 ----> 255.255.255.0
192.168.1.1 ------> 192.168.1.1
dns
++.++.++.++ -----> 00.00.00.00
00.00.00.00-------> ++.++.++.++
if you dont have static
go to advanced setting and the dns tab set the dns ip's here
I never used this feature hope it works

I assume you are using some newer Windows here..

On the host computer, instead of using ICS, bridge the two network cards. (Select the two interfaces in Network Connections, right click, bridge.) This joins the two network segments you have and you can use the second computer just as if it was directly connected to the external network.

What ISP are you using?

I think you need to better explain what you want.

If you want to connect both computers to the internet, I would suggest a cheap router. The router has a built in firewall (one extra layer of protection) and it blocks your local computer<->computer traffic from the internet.

If you need two separate public IPs (the ones your ISP gives you) then get a switch. My ISP gives two IPs and I use a switch to connect one of my computers to so I can test access from outside my own network. This will allow your computer<->computer traffic to be possibly accessed from the internet. If you go this route I would get another NIC for each computer and then research routing on Google.

I read
different external IP
that the dns he wants to use for WAN is not the first one issued but 2nd one
not sure how to config the modem to give a static ip
never liked those cheap modems and the software

so under the tcp/ip properties tab click on advance and add the dns numbers in the order you want
they are not looking to bridge
or team
I think they want to force communication from 2nd machine to the 2ndary ip address
???????????????????????????

I believe I put.

If you need two separate public IPs (the ones your ISP gives you) then get a switch.

So he gets a switch (preferably one with auto-mdi/mdx) and then hooks his two computers to hit. It will then pull two seperate public IP addresses.

Yes, he can put a second IP address on an adapter under W2K and WXP. I'm not sure how his routing table will look at that point though as you want to route all netbios (file and printer sharing) traffic to the private IP and all the rest to the public IP.

hi....

if it ain't broke don't fix it.....

but seriously.....

i agree not enough information here, i will give a different spin on this, here in BC canada, a DSL connection lets you have 2 lines from the main ISP (telus) what i do is throw away the install CD, and manualy MAC in to their system thru their manual options and the web site. not giving away secrets here, but you can MAC in any MAC address, so i have a router's address and a seperate PC address for a back up. if this is what "H0M3R" wants to do? with out the router, i can use a basic hub and then MAC in 2 comps to the ISP.

HOM3R <<< could you post back and give a bit more information?

cheers

Sorry I haven't replied in a while... been busy. I am in BC as well and my ISP is Shaw. What I want to do is to have my two computers use two different public IPs. They're using the same one right now. So for example, if I have ftp servers on both of them, when someone tries to access ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx he gets to the server on one computer and if he tries to access ftp://yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy, he gets to the other server. So, two public IPs are on one network and are assigned to two different computers so they are accessible from the web. And I don't want to have to buy a switch or hub or whatever, just because I'm cheap. I hope that's detailed enough. :giddy:

ok
now I get it
not the dns wan but the gateway ip
you have to buy another to do this
I don't know about where you are at ,but here US of A you get 1 ip per account
and 2 dns server address's
if you got 2 address from your provider it will be how you would log in to the net (I would think)
try to setup as a proxy ???
or use the dsl software to config the modem or in this case you may need 2 modems to make it work.

Hi....

may i toss this one out at you.... i take it you are useing shaw modem, can you get into the modems settings in any way? and if so can you configure your firewall to port-forwarding?
i am guessing you are running XP-pro? or are you running server XX?

i have two things come to mind,

1. pick up a second NIC (buy and sell $5,,,or try http://vancouver.craigslist.org/ (free) ( i am just guessing you might be in the GVRD )
or in comp section routers are cheap ;) with the second NIC you can easily assign a second internal IP for port forwarding, but you will also have to use a routing system in your OS to make it all work

IE: 192.168.10.100:2200 << (calling 2200 FTP port assigned) then what will happen is when someone types in FTP://gary.net at (555.555.555.XX) your OS'es routeing system will go thru the firewall and with port forwarding it will know that port :2200 is assigned as a open listening port for FTP etc.

2. one thing i cant figure out thou... with shaw... does your modem have more than one rj45 outlet? if not you must be useing a second NIC to run your second machine.... or how are you wired together?

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back