3d card issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, just signed up for the board and thought mayhaps you might be able to help me with my problem.

Well i ordered a gainward geforce 4200 this last week and it arrived in the mail yesterday. plugged it in fine, and then my first problem arose. the drivers cd was chipped and unuseable, so i just downloaded the cd components from their website, which was basically the detenator drivers from nvidia. I also upgrade to directx 9.0 at this time, seeing as it was one of the cd components.
My first problem arose when attempted to run 3d mark se2002 version 330 and it gave me an error stating that : my 3dcard didnt meet the minimal requirements to test and to check my directx version. I ran dxdiag and its up todate and supposedly working fine. another interesting thing that occurs: when starting up relativley new computer games (ive tested it with Battlefield1942, raven shield, age of mythology, and spearhead) the screen either loads up and goes blank, or blanks out once loaded to a black screen or back to desktop. Older games such as counterstrike and dungeon siege work just fine.
I tried reinstalling again with latest detanator drivers and no luck. I couldnt figure out how to uninstall directx9.0, or i wouldve attempted to revert to 8.1.

any ideas why this is occuring? id appreciate any help. thanks :)

As far as I know, you can't uninstall DX9(someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I don't remember the build number, but there is a build of 3DMark 2002 that supports DX9, upgrading 3DMark should solve that.

I'm not sure why your games aren't loading though.

Do the games have a video configurator or a run in Safe Mode? If so try running it and switching API's - if it's DirectX than switch it to OpenGL, and if it's OpenGL than switch to DirectX.

It's actually Build 330 that supports DX9, which he has, so that isn't the problem.

Have you tried different Detonator drivers and reinstalling DirectX?

There is a Direct X9 uninstaller for XP you can download it here.

http://www.xbetas.com/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=75

but direct X 9 may not be your problem Gainward has had a problem with recent Ti4200 cards seems there was a shipment with bad capacitors. you can read about the problem here.

http://www.excessivehardware.com/mo...e=article&sid=249&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

here is another source of info about the extent of the problem

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166031&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

hmm gonna try the direct x revert to 8.1 tmorrow, i dont think its the capacitor problem, as the card itself is ok, just seems to be software issues more. does anyone know where i can find directx8.1

The easiest way to revert back to 8.1 would be to use a restore point prior to installing Dx9

What kind of graphics card did you have before getting the Ti4200 and what kind of Power supply do you have? Nvidia and AMD both recommend at least a 300 watt power supply for their products.

i believe my power supply is fine, ran my old geforce 3 ok. not sure exactly what type it is, but it was manufactured in the last year.

Open up your case, if it's a good PSU it'll have the specs listed on the side where you can easily read them, and if it's a bad PSU it'll have the specs on the top :giddy:

In order to run an Athlon XP and a GeForce 4 you need a PSU that can pump out at least 200 watts on the +3.3v and +5v channels combined. I had to find that out the hard way. Went through three different motherboards and two different GeForce 4's before I found out it was my lame PSU that was supposed to be rated at 600W puke: . If it does turn out to be your PSU make sure you replace it with an enermax or antec PSU. I just had to invest $90 on a new enermax :dead: .

well its not my power supply, b/c i just reinstalled my old geforce 3 and the same problesm arise, after i uninstalled my drivers and reinstalled newones for my geforce 3.

Originally posted by GeneticFlea
when starting up relativley new computer games (ive tested it with Battlefield1942, raven shield, age of mythology, and spearhead) the screen either loads up and goes blank, or blanks out once loaded to a black screen or back to desktop. Older games such as counterstrike and dungeon siege work just fine.
Old games don't use new 3D features. Maybe some of your Detonator settings are incorrect? I'm not familiar with these new 3D cards, but try GeForce Tweak Utility or RivaTuner. Start from lowest settings, see if it works, then enable some to see if it locks up, etc..

Switch DirectX -> OpenGL

Originally posted by Vehementi
Do the games have a video configurator or a run in Safe Mode? If so try running it and switching API's - if it's DirectX than switch it to OpenGL, and if it's OpenGL than switch to DirectX.
And how can one do this, thanks ?

Depends on the game, naturally. Not all of them have the ability to choose the 3D renderer - at least Unreal engine based ones do.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Depends on the game, naturally. Not all of them have the ability to choose the 3D renderer - at least Unreal engine based ones do.
Now that's very interesting guys, but can we know HOW to do this, for a game based on Unreal engine?? I think Splinter Cell and Raven Shield are, and I can't play them in DirectX, the mouse is laggy. Isn't that incredible, here are my specs:
-Athlon XP2100+ (fsb133)
-512Mo Samsung DDRAM2100 (2-2-2-6-1)
-GeForce4 Ti4600
-Windows XP SP1
-IBM 45 Go 7200 rpm.
-PSU Noiseblocker 400 W
-Logitech Mouse + MouseWare drivers 9.41

Basically in all my DirectX games mouse has a tendancy to lag as soon as i am >= 1024x768 with FSAA and Aniso, be it 2x and 1x respectivelly. ALL OpenGL games (mohaa, rtwc, quake3, sof2,...) run flawleslly at 1280x1024, details on Highest, FSAA 4X, Aniso 8X. I have normal results with Sandra, and a result of 11000 at 3DMark SE. So it's somehow DirectX which slows down my games, but I cannot figure it how :(. And that's why i'd like to switch to OpenGL for every game where this is possible.

And i have another question too, how can you see in a game the fps rate you're having? Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back