5.1/7.1 ch audio problem on ASUS P5K/P5KC with Realtek ALC883

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone!

First of all, I'd like to greet the Forums from Budapest, Hungary - after browsing it for a while I found it to be a really nice, civilized and useful place. Cheers!

Now the reason I'm posting.
I've built a new PC (with Asus P5K mobo) for a friend who has a 6-channel speaker system and when I connect it to the mobo's on-board audio the Center/Sub speakers doesn't work. I began experimenting with a simple headset's jack and the driver has detected it in all ports (asking me what did I plug in), except for the Center/Sub and L-R Side-speakers' (for 7.1) ports.

The odd thing is I've tried this with two other PCs as well (these were P5KC mobos, but same on-board audio - Realtek ALC883, one with factory BIOS, the other with an upgraded one) and the results were exactly the same. I've tried all possible audio I/O settings in Realtek's control panel (headset, 2-4-6-8 ch) but nothing. Is there something I'm doing wrong or all ALC883s on Asus P5K series are deffective?!

And one more thing. If I configure the Front Panel audio port as Center/Sub in Realtek's control panel, it works just fine as Center/Sub!
I've called the tech-guys at the dealer's and they said they never heard about this problem before and I should take back the mobo. But is it possible that all three *different* mobos are deffective in the same way?

The config:
Mobo: ASUS P5K Rev. 1.02G
BIOS: 0603 (factory)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
RAM: Kingston DDR2 800MHz 2GB kit of 2
Video: Gigabyte GF8400 GS 256MB DDR2
Audio: Realtek ALC883 (on-board)
HD: Samsung HD321KJ 320GB (SATA II)
DVD: LG GSA-H66N (SATA)
OS: Windows XP SP2 Hungarian, Regional and Language Settings: Hungarian
(the OS's been just reinstalled, there's no other software except for the factory drivers)
DirectX: 9.0c
Audio driver: 5.10.0.5391 (latest from ASUS)

If anyone's got any ideas or experienced the same problem, please let me know!
Thanks!

same problem

I have the exact same problem..

trying Logitech Z5500 5.1 speaker system on a different MSI mobo but with same onboard ALC883 Realtek sound chip..
The center/Sub channel doesn't work.. unless connect it to the front panel audio jack.

the odd thing is in Linux.. it all works okay.. just in windows XP it doesn't..
I upgraded drivers to 5.10.0.5713, and still doesn't work..

How can you disable the jack- autosensing ... as it is useless.. and perhaps it is unable to sense a wire in the Center/Woofer channel so it is not turning it on ?

how did you fix it ?

no center/sub

Hi,
the problem is solved for me, sorry I didn't post my findings earlier.
It turned out that the chassis' front panel PCB caused the whole problem. When I disconnected the front panel audio from the mobo everything worked just fine. Except for the front panel of course :)) If it works the same way for you, you can try and experiment which connection causes the problem, but since my friend could do without the front panel audio I simply disconnected the whole thing and that's that.

In all three cases it was the same chassis - ASUS Vento A9.

Hope this was useful.
Greetings and Happy New Year, all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back