50 Game Benchmark: GeForce RTX 3080 12GB vs. Radeon RX 6900 XT

Well for those who want to buy a GPU now, hold on your gun till the end of this year for the 4000 series and make your amor heavier. If you can pay 1600usd/euros now, that money will bring you much better value with the 4000 series.

I know it's expensive - and would make for double the work for Techspot staff... but you really need to have 2 reference systems... one AMD and one Intel...

It would be nice to know what you can expect from an Intel or AMD build when it comes to purchasing expensive components.

As we've known for a while, it seems AMD's Infinity Cache and lower TFLOPs hits its limits at 4K, whereas Ampere gets to flex its raw shader power a bit more.

I'm running an AMD 6800xt at the moment. If I could have gotten a 3080 at the time I would have went with it. I don't know that ray tracing is worth the performance hit really even with DLSS...but it's always nice to have the option. As it stands I will say that my 6800xt is pretty impressive.
Hopefully AMD is working on something that will bring the 6000 series up to speed on the RTX stuff.

If both core same then RTX 3080 12GB is better. Almost same performance but much faster RT and DLSS support

I wouldn't trust GPU benchmarks from Techspot unless you don't need RTX, due to their disregard of RTX, which when turned on, the AMD card keels over in comparison.

Well for those who want to buy a GPU now, hold on your gun till the end of this year for the 4000 series and make your amor heavier. If you can pay 1600usd/euros now, that money will bring you much better value with the 4000 series.

Depending on rumors, if true, you might need to save up for a beefier PSU as well.

I know it's expensive - and would make for double the work for Techspot staff... but you really need to have 2 reference systems... one AMD and one Intel...

It would be nice to know what you can expect from an Intel or AMD build when it comes to purchasing expensive components.

TS has said before that you can get Intel CPU-based tests from other sites so they're sticking with the 5950X for now. The sites complement each other, check both. I think they've also said that they'll choose the fastest available CPU when the time comes to build a new reference machine, which means it'll be Alder Lake or whatever does better between Raptor(?) Lake and Zen 4.

I wouldn't trust GPU benchmarks from Techspot unless you don't need RTX, due to their disregard of RTX, which when turned on, the AMD card keels over in comparison.

You don't need Ray Tracing. It's mostly useless and not worth the FPS loss even on Nvidia cards. Now if you'd mentioned DLSS, that's an actual useful feature which could swing a choice to Nvidia if all other considerations balance out. And calling Ray Tracing "RTX" makes it seem like Nvidia has successfully brainwashed people already.

[QUOTE="MarcusNumb...Well for those who want to buy a GPU now, hold on your gun till the end of this year for the 4000 series [/QUOTE]

Coming soon? Indefinite RTX NVIDIA or TSMC delays? Reading the news today I am convinced that China is now closely watching how Biden is continuing in handling the Ukraine dilemma. Next at stake it’s the future of Taiwan. China wants it back as it considers Taiwan to be a rebel region that must be reunited with the mainland. America in turn actually never officially recognized Taiwan as a country and the United Nations expelled Taiwan in 1971 and instead recognized the CCP/PRC as the official government of China.

For a minute or so I was under the distinct impression that gasoline here would stay under the average price per gallon of less than $3.00 and my dream of a RTX30 series would imminently come true. But the news media now uses the word imminently as a call to war. The review headline here also suggests that the 3080 12GB is a kick *** graphics card. But for some reason I feel that it's me being kicked in the *** paying now $6.59 per gallon for premium gas here in LA! I need gas to keep my job and staying in commuter 'freeway traffic' for 2-hours per day each way! Greetings from the man on the street.

Last edited:
You don't need Ray Tracing. It's mostly useless and not worth the FPS loss even on Nvidia cards. Now if you'd mentioned DLSS, that's an actual useful feature which could swing a choice to Nvidia if all other considerations balance out. And calling Ray Tracing "RTX" makes it seem like Nvidia has successfully brainwashed people already.
Most people don't know how RTX works, they think it's just reflections and can be done without, it's actually much more than that, any game that uses realistic global illumination (to get correct shadows etc.) will make use of RTX.

I wouldnt buy either of them at these prices. Right now, I'm just going to grit and bear my neanderthal 480 until AMD stops making drivers, then wait for the generation after that. If prices havent come back to earth IDK what I will end up doing. Maybe getting a gaming laptop. If I end up with a desktop GPU for $1000+ whatever it is its gotta be something that will work for another 8+ years.
There’s only one reason why you might favor the 6900 XT and that’s the extra 4GB of VRAM, though it’s hard to say when that will be of benefit. Frankly, 12GB should be enough for the foreseeable future and shouldn’t become an issue within the realistic lifespan of this GPU generation as a high-end gaming product.

What counts as a realistic timespan? Because a 6900xt customer today may very well be using said card when the PS6 comes out at this rate. Who really thought that the most used card in 2022 would be budget cards from 2016?

Most people don't know how RTX works, they think it's just reflections and can be done without, it's actually much more than that, any game that uses realistic global illumination (to get correct shadows etc.) will make use of RTX.
Any game that does "realistic global illumination" will be unplayable. The "realistic" things we've seen from RTX have been vastly underwhelming, slightly different shadows and lighting at the cost of half your frame rate. Hardware T&L this is not.

RTX encompasses many additional lighting features, and no they do not all need to be on at the same time.

Any game that does "realistic global illumination" will be unplayable. The "realistic" things we've seen from RTX have been vastly underwhelming, slightly different shadows and lighting at the cost of half your frame rate. Hardware T&L this is not.

RTX encompasses many additional lighting features, and no they do not all need to be on at the same time.
Many games have RTX global illumination at the moment and are playable, but any developer knows they have to get it as performant as possible on AMD system, but if everyone had Nvidia cards they could push it much further.

Many games have RTX global illumination at the moment and are playable, but any developer knows they have to get it as performant as possible on AMD system, but if everyone had Nvidia cards they could push it much further.
That's just Ray tracing. RTX is a feature set that includes Ray tracing among others.

"This is a particularly impressive result for AMD considering that ray tracing was enabled using the ‘Extreme’ preset."

lol Forza Horizon 5 only uses RT in the Autovista. It's not used at all when racing. So it's not gonna make any difference. I'd have thought you would know this.

Bottom line is that new technologies such as Smart Access Memory, ray tracing, dlss AND FSR make it harder than ever to make a concise GPU recommendation

Fixed that a bit for you. Its ok, humans make mistakes and forget things…

If image quality is a deer thing to you, other then doing games but being productive, the Radeon is overall better. I mean techspot should invest some time in which vendors provides the more "clear" picture since memory compression is a real thing with Nvidia.

Their memory compression is a bit stronger which leads to overall "less" graphics quality sort of say compared to AMD. Has bin for years.

While it is known that AMD’s GPU is weak in RT heavy games, placing a RT heavy game in the comparison where rest of the games have RT disabled don’t make any sense to me. The result is an outlier in this case and ideally should be represented in a pure RT performance comparison. Otherwise it clearly distorts the graph.

If image quality is a deer thing to you, other then doing games but being productive, the Radeon is overall better. I mean techspot should invest some time in which vendors provides the more "clear" picture since memory compression is a real thing with Nvidia.

Their memory compression is a bit stronger which leads to overall "less" graphics quality sort of say compared to AMD. Has bin for years.
Lol what

I'd love to see your source for that... and some empirical evidence proving it...

Back