67% of people are happy to binge-watch Netflix in public

midian182

Staff member

You can’t beat a weekend of Netflix binge-watching in the comfort of your own surroundings, but it turns out that more than half the streaming service’s subscribers enjoy its content away from home. The practice has become even more common since Netflix started allowing downloads for offline viewing last year.

Conducted between August 24 - September 7, 2017, an online survey commissioned by Netflix asked over 37,000 people around the world about their viewing habits. The biggest takeaway is that 67 percent of people are now happy to watch the site’s TV shows and movies while in public, the most popular places being planes, buses, or while commuting. Seven percent of people even admitted to watching Netflix in public restrooms.

A few people actually feel awkward if someone spies them watching the likes of Stranger Things on a train; the survey found 18 percent of those interviewed thought being spotted engaging in public binging was embarrassing.

If you ever find yourself bursting out laughing while viewing some Netflix content in public, don’t worry; you’re not alone. More than half the survey’s participants say they have “LOL’d” while watching something on their phones, which is less embarrassing than the 20 percent who said they’ve cried.

It seems that if you intend to catch up on your favorite Netflix shows while traveling to and from work, be prepared to have your device spied on—45 percent of people say they caught someone sneaking a look at their screen in public. But in addition to annoying the viewers, engaging in such snooping spoiled shows for 11 percent of the respondents.

There’s also the risk that public viewings will result in someone trying to talk to you about the show you’re currently enjoying, something that happened to 27 percent of people.

If you want to avoid public humiliation, snoopers, and loquacious types, you could always copy 37 percent of those surveyed and watch Netflix while at work. You could even do some viewing in your employer's restrooms, which some people admitted to .

Permalink to story.

"...the most popular places being planes, buses, or while commuting."
I think that should be of no surprise.

"There’s also the risk that public viewings will result in someone trying to talk to you about the show you’re currently enjoying..."
I am one of those people not afraid to talk to random people but I won't cause spoilers.

67% of what age group? I think the stock photo of the young lady in the theater looking at her phone is an indicator.

67% of what age group? I think the stock photo of the young lady in the theater looking at her phone is an indicator.

Netflix says: "The sample was balanced by age and gender and representative of an adult online population who watch movies and TV shows via streaming services in public settings".

What's I find strange here is that only 67% of the 'adult online population who watch ... streaming services in public settings' watch Netflix in public settings. Presumably the rest watch other services.

If it's public viewing then it's the public viewing it. I don't see how you can be upset if members of the public start watching what's on your tablet/phone. It's human nature to react to moving images and to be curious. Once you bring your netflix or calls into the public domain, you lose any right to privacy.

This article is a pretty embarrassing reflection of todays culture. Put your damn phones/tablets and devices down. Try to use them less and less as you get older.

This article is a pretty embarrassing reflection of todays culture. Put your damn phones/tablets and devices down. Try to use them less and less as you get older.

Why? What's wrong with enjoying entertainment while commuting?

"Netflix says: "The sample was balanced by age and gender and representative of an adult online population who watch movies and TV shows via streaming services in public settings".

You realize that means absolutely nothing. How about some specific statistics - age, gender, income level, geographical location, etc. Give us specific demographics, not a "We surveyed a bunch of people and trust us, it covers everyone," whitewash statement. ;)

I binged 'Rick & Morty' on my commute and I had a few nods of appreciation for that, I just watched '13 Reasons Why' that way and it was difficult, think I saved the last half for home as they were starting to get too harrowing and was wary of what people might see!!

I don't see anything wrong with it why not watch videos on a bus??

59919693.jpg

Playing Devil's advocate, I binged on podcasts, music and books when commuting years ago - how is watching Netflix worse?

I at times can be a curmudgeon, but I could care less what people do when they commute (for example). Just use some headphones and take your eyes off the damn thing when you walk.....you don't need to watch getting on and off the transit, moving down the street etc. Park yourself and binge away...and enjoy that teeny tiny screen.

Back