7600GS AGP mipmap flickering in 3D games

Status
Not open for further replies.
My recently bought Gigabyte 7600 GS AGP card (the passive one) is causing problems with mipmapping in every 3D game (old, new, D3D, OpenGL), although it's most evident in older OpenGL games like the Half-Life modification Natural Selection, which is the only game I play seriously, thus care the most about. When I stand still ingame, everything looks perfect, but as soon as I move, the lower half of the screen is flickering weirdly. This is something I'd normally expect when playing at 60Hz, but I play at 1280x1024 at 85Hz and tried lower resolutions at 100Hz, which all produced the same result.

I tried every driver version from 84.66 - which seems to be the first driver that supports my card and also the fastest - to 93.71 to the newest unofficial ones. I tried every single driver setting including setting everything to High Quality with Anti-Aliasing & Anisotropic Filtering on (yes, in the proper way), they all had no positive effect. I'm using the newest chipset drivers & BIOS version. I didn't overclock anything, ever. Everything on and in my PC is configured and working perfectly, there are no hardware/software/driver conflicts or defects, no unnecessary programs running in the background, no spyware, no viruses etc (just in case you might wonder). Everything is properly cooled, the GPU heats up to 55°C max, the CPU up to about 45°C max.

In short: It is definitely a problem caused either by the graphic card or the components it uses (PSU, Monitor), because it worked fine before with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (yes, I installed the new card and drivers properly).

I'm sorry if I sound a bit all-knowingly arrogant with this, but I'm simply trying to avoid getting a lot of possible "solution" replies that won't help because of people assuming wrong things or suggesting something I already tried. I hope this is understandable.

On a rather important sidenote, I found out that one possible solution to this is turning Vertical Sync on, which is unfortunately not an acceptable option for me (please don't ask why, it's simply a matter of personal preference).

System specs:
Case: Artic Cooling Silentium T1
PSU: 350w Seasonic Model SS-350ATC Active PFC (17A on 12V)
Mainboard: Asus K8N Socket 754 (nForce3 250)
CPU: AMD A64 3000+ Socket 754
Cooler: Aerocool High Tower HT-101 SE
RAM: 2x 512MB Corsair XMS PC3200 CL2
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce 7600 GS AGP (passive)
Monitor: Hyundai ImageQuest P910+ 19"
HDDs: 1x IDE Samsung 160GB (SP1604N), 2x S-ATA Samsung 250GB (SP2504C)
DVD: Teac DV-516G
DVDR: Pioneer DVR 108
Sound: E-MU 0404

I searched all over the net and didn't find anything concerning this problem, only articles and forum threads about texture flickering and how to "fix" it by turning everything to High Quality etc, which is NOT the problem I'm having, in case you might've thought so. Well, in fact, the textures flicker, but that seems to be a known problem with newer NVIDIA cards and I don't think it's that of a problem compared to the one I'm having. Right now, I'm really starting to wonder if people just don't realize this because they're used to it. I hope someone will be able to prove me wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back