7900gt choppiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

sellmesanity

My new 7900gt performs great but sometimes (in any game, notably Counter-strike:source) when im walking, every 2 or 3 seconds it skips a frame and looks generally choppy when moving through the map, despite the fact that i have high fps and vsync turned on. Then when i exit the game and reopen it everything is fine again until it randomly happens again (the next time i play one of the games). Anyone have this problem? I have a feeling it is a driver issue but i cannot confirm this unless people with 7900gt's tell me of similar issues.

Well, I don't have a 7900GT, but if I were you, I would check the card's temp. It may be overheating.

Also, make sure you have the latest Forceware.

My temperatures are fine, this card runs pretty hot anyway. They are usually about 58c and the highest it goes up to is like 62c.

As for my ram, I don't understand how it could be the ram doing this, but my ram is GeiL Platinum DDR 500 2x512, except I run it at DDR 400 2-3-3-6 1t at about 2.75 volts, because I don't want to overclock until I sort out all my problems.

I don't think it's the RAM coz it's good quality RAM and Geil rarely produces bad products. Might be fragmentation on the HDD or the PSU. The temps are fine too.

I thought it would be fragmentation, but in Steam you can check the files fragmentation and all of my Steam games have 0% fragmentation. My PSU is also high quality, an Antec True Power 2.0 480w that is only a couple weeks old. I don't think my x300 used to do this skipping choppy thing. I called Evga tech support and i talked to the upper level techs. They said that it could be AVG and to update to the newest beta drivers. I am not sure if this will fix it but I am currently testing it right now.

I uninstalled avg. Didn't fix it. I went crazy trying to figure out what was wrong, I uninstalled AIM triton and the problem looks like it went away. It didnt do it all day. Man triton is a wack program. I use GAIM now. I will keep you updated, eVGA techs said that they haven't heard of this so it must be caused by a program that my friends don't use but i do use. AIM TRITON IS THAT PROGRAM! ok well yeah more testing goes on...

I'll guess it has to do with incompatibility. Are you sure the card is compatible with your motherboard? Also, try turning v-sync off. I've seen it cause problems.

Oh no my man, the problem seems to have been solved. I was just asking what AIM triton has to do with my video card?

It probably used up your RAM. It has nothing to do with your card. Is your card integrated?

I have 1 gig of ram and hardly any programs running. My graphics card is not integrated, the title of the thread is 7900gt choppiness, as in Geforce 7900gt. It has something to do with AIM triton because now that it is gone, I do not get choppiness anymore. I just don't know how to connect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back