8800GT GPU overheating, hitting 128c?

Hi everyone,

so i've been having some problems with my 8800GT. I know its an older card but I'd expect it to still run okay. It has been going fine for a long time. Just recently my card has been artifacting and shutting itself down which results in my comp shutting down.

It seems to happen only when i try to play a game that puts stress on the card. Usually it would sit at around 64c. Now all it does is say 0.0c then 1 second later says 128.0c. I've tried using speedfan,gpu z, and riva tuner. They all give the same reading and i've put my card at 100%.

Now prior to this I was getting mad that it kept shutting down. So I took out my card, opened it up and woah! There was A LOT of dust, clogging up the fan that pushses the air out of the heatsink. So I took about an hour or two cleaning all the dust out. Once I finished there was no dust at all. I put the card back in and it still was reading the exact same temp? I was like wth... so then i thought maybe it needed new thermal paste. So with rubbing alchohol i took off the old one and applied some new thermal paste. Still the exact same reading! I'm stumped. I'm not sure what to do. The fact that my card bounces from 0.0c to 128.0c leaves me confused too as I have no accurate reading but the 128c.

Any Ideas?

The numbers you pointed out point to a faulty sensor because your video card will never get cold as 0.0c, after you cleaned it out is it still artifacting and shutting itself down?

Back