8800gtx possibly dieing?

I'm having a problem similar to this guy.

evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=667379&mpage=1#669179

Yellow/blue horizontal lines down the monitor. Bios is pretty much unreadable since there numbers and letters everywhere (only in bios/post). When the computer just freezes I can move the mouse and sound plays fine, but after a few minutes it just goes to bsod. As long as the video card is disabled I seem to have no problems, except for one stick of ram, which will only work on the furthest dimm slot. If its moved from there I get 1d and c1 errors. As long as the video card stays disabled, the system seems to be stable. I have ran memtest with no errors also. All parts are running at stock speeds, no OC.

I've done just about everything I can think of - reinstalled video drivers, flashed bios, checked temps. Everything looks good. Only thing I couldn't test was the psu (no multimeter). I suppose I could test it with everest? Volts look fine from bios though (what I can read of it anyway)

I'll attach a few minidumps (8) from the past few days.

specs: evga 680i sli
8800 gtx
corsair xms2 D. 2gb
intel core 2 E6600

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• minidumb.zip
    120.7 KB · Views: 1
I'll read your minidumps but what you describe sounds like arifacting and has to do with your video card. This can be caused by:

1. System temparatures are too high.

2. The video card itself is overheating due to a faulty fan.

3. The card itself is dying (I speak from personal experience).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: Five of the eight most recent files were read. Two are 0x8E errors and these are almost always caused by hardware and sometimes by faulty drivers.

Three errors are 0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

Four out five cited same Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll as the cause of your issues.

Question: When you reinstalled your video drivers did you use something like Driver Sweeper to make sure all the old drivers were removed befor installing the new ones?

I'll read your minidumps but what you describe sounds like arifacting and has to do with your video card. This can be caused by:

1. System temparatures are too high.

2. The video card itself is overheating due to a faulty fan.

3. The card itself is dying (I speak from personal experience).

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: Five of the eight most recent files were read. Two are 0x8E errors and these are almost always caused by hardware and sometimes by faulty drivers.

Three errors are 0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER
A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

Four out five cited same Nvidia display driver nv4_disp.dll as the cause of your issues.

Question: When you reinstalled your video drivers did you use something like Driver Sweeper to make sure all the old drivers were removed befor installing the new ones?

Yes, I did. From Guru3D.

Is it possible for you to borrow a video card from a friend for as long as it takes to install and run his/her card to see if indeed it is the video card?

The fact that the system is stable when the video card is disabled strongly points to the card itself, but if you can do the above so much the better.

Also, if the card itself is bad then no amount of driver updates will help.

Back