A Google-funded startup just launched a fully functional drone delivery service

Greg S

A hot potato: One of Alphabet's startup companies has beaten Amazon to commercializing a drone delivery service. Wing is now officially launching its services in Australia to residents of Canberra, who can have certain goods delivered within minutes.

Startup company Wing is one of the many projects managed by Google's parent, Alphabet. Wing has received approval from Australia's Civil Aviation Safety Authority to begin delivery of goods via commercially operated drones.

Wing's delivery services are going to be extremely limited in Canberra, Australia. Approximately 100 homes will be eligible to select drone delivery through a dedicated app. Those that are able to receive packages via drone are supposed to receive their order within minutes.

In a demo of the service, coffee shop Kickstart Expresso loaded an order of food and drinks into a takeout bag for aerial delivery. Other eligible items for delivery include medicine, fresh foods, and ice cream. Current flights are expected to take around five minutes, with the shortest routes taking just three minutes.

For safety reasons, Wing's drones must remain more than 16 feet above any humans and at least 6.5 feet clear horizontally. Deliveries must also only take place after 7 AM Monday through Saturday and after 8 AM on Sundays. Anyone who does order something with drone delivery will also be given a safety briefing reminding them not to retrieve their items until the drone has retreated a safe distance.

Although Wing's services are highly limited in scope, the company has already completed more than 3,000 drone deliveries during its testing phases. Going forward, the startup has plenty of opportunity to capitalize on its early experience in this new field.

Permalink to story.

Drone Delivery could theoretically make it possible for any company to deliver any product to any house on the planet.

But NATIONAL SECURITY and SPYING fears will ensure that never happens.

At the most, we'll be lucky to see clearly identified drone routes solely for delivering medical supplies.

AND for some of us the shotgun is cleaned, loaded, and at the ready next to the front door (in case my neighbor gets a delivery that I want to know more about ...)

It could also deliver a bomb anywhere, replacing the suicide bombers.
So could a car, automated car, human, oh my! Current postal service oh my! Hobby air planes from the 80s oh no! Someone could put a bomb in your mailbox! gee willakers! They might put landmines in the park oh nos! Better buy some more .22 amno. I think the color threat level today is pastel.

Drone Delivery could theoretically make it possible for any company to deliver any product to any house on the planet.

But NATIONAL SECURITY and SPYING fears will ensure that never happens.

At the most, we'll be lucky to see clearly identified drone routes solely for delivering medical supplies.
The article states it already happened is happening and will continue to happen.

Back