A grandfather died of a heart attack after minors swatted him over his rare Twitter handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Another swatting attack has resulted in an innocent person losing their life. The incident, which took place last year, saw a 60-year-old grandfather targeted by minors in the US and UK because of his valuable Twitter handle. He suffered a heart attack when police surrounded his home and died shortly after.

WKRN News 2 (via GamingBible) reported new information on the April 2020 incident involving Mark Herring of Bethpage, Tennessee. A swatting incident—the act of calling 911 to report a fake crime so armed responders storm an address—was organized on Discord in an attempt to intimidate Herring into handing over his valuable @tennessee Twitter handle.

A then-minor by the name of Shane Sonderman was part of the campaign against Herring. "He was from Tennessee," says Corinna Fitch, Herring's daughter. "He's the one that collected all our information, my address, my sister's, my moms, my mother sister, and put it on a channel on Discord, which is a gaming chat forum."

A second minor, from the UK, called the local police department to make the false report. Herring's son said: "The neighbors called and said 'There's police everywhere, and they think a man has killed a woman and he's on your property, you gotta take cover.'"

"He went out the house with a gun, because he heard someone was on his property," Fitch explained. "He sees all these cops around him, and they ask if he is Mark Herring, 'put your hands up,' so he tosses the gun away from him to show he's not a threat, and [put his] hands up."

It was then that Herring suffered a heart attack. He died in hospital soon after.

Sonderman is currently jailed over the incident and awaiting trial. He faces a maximum of five years in prison and a $250,000 fine—a punishment Herring's family says is inadequate. "You've not just changed that one person's life; you've done a ripple effect. They need to pay for that," said Fitch.

As the minor in the UK who made the call is still underage, they cannot be identified or extradited.

Fitch added that Twitter handles such as the one used by Herring can go for up to three or four thousand dollars, "Like, pennies compared to a life."

Back in 2018, Tyler Barriss, the 26-year-old California resident behind a series of bomb threats and other crimes, including a swatting incident that resulted in the death of Andrew Finch, pleaded guilty to 51 federal charges. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison. The co-defendant in the trial, which revolved around a $1.50 wager on a Call of Duty: WWII match, was sentenced to 15 months.

Permalink to story.

I don’t know what’s worse:

The fact that people make prank calls that can result in the deaths of innocent people…

...Or the fact that the prank caller knows that the tactics of America’s militarized, trigger-happy police force is more than likely going to result in the death of the person they are targeting.

… or the fact that America’s criminal justice system punishment is so laughable that despite the fact that this has happened before there isn’t enough fear in the prank caller to not do something like this out of fear that they themselves will be severely punished."

...or that this happens so much, we've developed a term for it.

Last edited:

The fact that people make prank calls that can result in the deaths of innocent people…

Or the fact that the prank caller knows that the tactics of America’s militarized, trigger-happy police force is more than likely going to result in the death of the person they are targeting.

… or the fact that America’s criminal justice system punishment is so laughable that despite the fact that this has happened before there isn’t enough fear in the prank caller to not do something like this out of fear that they themselves will be severely punished.

The first one.

… or the fact that America’s criminal justice system punishment is so laughable that despite the fact that this has happened before there isn’t enough fear in the prank caller to not do something like this out of fear that they themselves will be severely punished.
You over-estimate the judicial power, because you can absolutely always bet on people's stupidity.

That underage minor in the UK is probably going to have to look over his shoulder for the rest of his life, once he becomes an adult (if that's even possible, for such a complete *****)

I wouldn't plan on any trips abroad, for a start.

Team America, World Police will put him on every watch list going, so that should he ever leave the UK and use his passport, He'll probably be arrested on an international arrest warrant.

Or the fact that the prank caller knows that the tactics of America’s militarized, trigger-happy police force is more than likely going to result in the death of the person they are targeting.

1 is the worst, these people calling killing people. 2 is second worst, I’ve never heard of this happening here in Aus, however I would note that the US police are at greater risk because everyone has guns and there is plenty of violence against police so they have to take more precautions, I mean this guy walked outside with a rifle and at least they didn’t shoot him. 3 is not bad, harsh punishment doesn’t do much to deter crime look at the war on drugs, the US death penalty etc, they don’t stop crimes being commited.

3 is not bad, harsh punishment doesn’t do much to deter crime look at the war on drugs, the US death penalty etc, they don’t stop crimes being commited.
Well, the death penalty does actually stop THAT person from doing it again. The problem is, the appeals process is so cumbersome and lengthy, you need bean counters for figure out if it's just cheaper to keep them for the rest of their lives. The costs from which almost certainly runs into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

IMHO, my solution is more elegant. "Death row", I believe is solitary confinement. So, why not stick another another equally violent psychopath into the cell, and let nature take its course. I figure the guards don'y really have to push the injured to the prison infirmary as fast as they can.

Here in the US we have an epidemic of 2nd & 3rd generation sociopaths, who kill without remorse or regret, over the stupidest arguments. (As an example, there were 36 shootings oveer last weekend alone, and maybe 2 or more fatalities),

IMO, instead of the parents pissing and moaning to the authorities to remediate the problem, old school justice should prevail, and the parents take responsibly for, and be held accountable for the crimes of their "children".

At the rate this country is going, breeding licenses, mandatory abortions, and sterilizations wouldn't be bad ideas either.

Last week, we had a murder over the sale of a "ghost gun". Hey, maybe the system is working after all. (y) (Y).

I live in "da hood", and I firmly believe, we should pump as many guns into it as the market will bear.

Philly has had 300 gun murders thus far this year, 90% of which are black on black events.It occurs to to, that perhaps that the BLM crew should take stock of, and remediate the problems within its ranks, instead of selling T-shirts, while looting and burning down businesses, over some lifelong, useless, felon like George Floyd. Yes, officer Chauvin was guilty of murder. He should have been charged as such, and that have been the end of it.

As for the whole "driving while black" nonsense, how many of those stops were of people with no insurance, non registration, suspended drivers licenses, warrants for their arrest, and what have you.

BTW, George Floyd's arrest, addiction, and incarceration records are all available online. Is this turd really who you want as "your poster boy"?

Last edited:

...Or the fact that the prank caller knows that the tactics of America’s militarized, trigger-happy police force is more than likely going to result in the death of the person they are targeting.

… or the fact that America’s criminal justice system punishment is so laughable that despite the fact that this has happened before there isn’t enough fear in the prank caller to not do something like this out of fear that they themselves will be severely punished."

E: all of the above.

You’re thinking too hard; it’s 2 more dumb teenagers doing dumb teenager things in the 21st century.

If they were “trigger happy”, he’d have died of gunshots rather than heart attack.

Any justice system doesn’t stop every stupid teenager from committing a crime, no matter how severe the punishment. As mentioned above, see the war on drugs.

It’s simple.

You’re thinking too hard; it’s 2 more dumb teenagers doing dumb teenager things in the 21st century.

If they were “trigger happy”, he’d have died of gunshots rather than heart attack.

Any justice system doesn’t stop every stupid teenager from committing a crime, no matter how severe the punishment. As mentioned above, see the war on drugs.

It’s simple.

#1 No I'm not

#2 I want severe punishment of people who do things like this.

#3 That is all.

I think you are missing the point. These kids had/have no f'ing clue what they were doing. Not only that, but they probably were so immersed in fakebook or tweeter or what the heck ever "social gaming platform" they are on that they had no idea this had happened before and no idea there would be consequences.

IMO, we can top off that with the fact that capitalistic values placed such a high value on a meaningless moniker for a lame and meaningless social platform, and the kids cluelessly believed that the moniker had real value.

I don't understand how they could be so easily fooled by those calls, they should do a minimum of investigation before terrorising people.

I don't understand how they could be so easily fooled by those calls, they should do a minimum of investigation before terrorising people.

The information they received from the prank phone call is the information to go off of. If there is a potential murderer on a property, in a country where guns are very prevalent, what investigation would you suggest? Walking up to the door unarmed every time this happens and politely asking who’s home? Reality says differently.

They aren’t terrorizing anyone - they’re showing up to a scene and doing their jobs off of intel that they received. There is a massive misconception of “guys with scary guns and armor don’t need that at all” - and it’s comically wrong.

Understanding American society, our population size, our gun count, and political slant towards personal independence is key to why ERTs need to be armed the way that they do.

Not picking on them, but good example - I can’t tell you how many Brits I watch wince at the sight of British Transport Police carrying rifles in the Underground. Most of the citizens have no experience with firearms, so they are naturally hesitant to think why -anyone- would need them. Different environment, different exposure.

The death penalty is not a deterrent when it takes 20-40 years to get around to it.
In situations like this where we know beyond a shadow of a doubt who is responsible, it should be done immediately after sentencing. Make it public. All news stations should carry it. Declare the crime and then show the consequence.
But the problem our justice system has, is that progressives in the late 1800’s decided that justice was not about punishing but reforming. I’m sorry, but that is a dumb idea. It places a higher value on the potential future goodness of evil criminals than on the actual goodness of average decent citizens.
The social contract is that I delegate my right to vengeance to the state and they pursue justice by holding a fair trial to establish guilt (under the presumption of innocence). This way my anger as a wounded party does not cloud the discovery of truth. Also, should the victims be too weak to seek vengeance themselves or should there be no survivors to seek vengeance the state is the proper vehicle to punish.
But when the state fails to deliver equal, impartial justice then it has become criminal itself.

Well, the death penalty does actually stop THAT person from doing it again. The problem is, the appeals process is so cumbersome and lengthy, you need bean counters for figure out if it's just cheaper to keep them for the rest of their lives. The costs from which almost certainly runs into hundreds of thousands of dollars.

IMHO, my solution is more elegant. "Death row", I believe is solitary confinement. So, why not stick another another equally violent psychopath into the cell, and let nature take its course. I figure the guards don'y really have to push the injured to the prison infirmary as fast as they can.

Here in the US we have an epidemic of 2nd & 3rd generation sociopaths, who kill without remorse or regret, over the stupidest arguments. (As an example, there were 36 shootings oveer last weekend alone, and maybe 2 or more fatalities),

IMO, instead of the parents pissing and moaning to the authorities to remediate the problem, old school justice should prevail, and the parents take responsibly for, and be held accountable for the crimes of their "children".

At the rate this country is going, breeding licenses, mandatory abortions, and sterilizations wouldn't be bad ideas either.

Last week, we had a murder over the sale of a "ghost gun". Hey, maybe the system is working after all. (y) (Y).

I live in "da hood", and I firmly believe, we should pump as many guns into it as the market will bear.

Philly has had 300 gun murders thus far this year, 90% of which are black on black events.It occurs to to, that perhaps that the BLM crew should take stock of, and remediate the problems within its ranks, instead of selling T-shirts, while looting and burning down businesses, over some lifelong, useless, felon like George Floyd. Yes, officer Chauvin was guilty of murder. He should have been charged as such, and that have been the end of it.

As for the whole "driving while black" nonsense, how many of those stops were of people with no insurance, non registration, suspended drivers licenses, warrants for their arrest, and what have you.

BTW, George Floyd's arrest, addiction, and incarceration records are all available online. Is this turd really who you want as "your poster boy"?
Floyd is a "poster boy" in spite of his serious imperfections because he was murdered in public by a cop that was asked to take his knee of of Floyd's neck. He declined and proceeded to kill the man, that he previously knew and disliked.

Cops can pull you over for MANY reasons. I live in a big city and I could bust blacks EVERY DAY on my way home from work for smoking weed in their cars. I literally smell it coming from their cars around me on my way home from work every day. These people are plain STUPID! They get busted for weed/drugs more frequently than whites because they are so cavalier about it. HINT - Just because you're driving in a car with the windows down doesn't mean nobody can smell your weed burning dummy!

The information they received from the prank phone call is the information to go off of. If there is a potential murderer on a property, in a country where guns are very prevalent, what investigation would you suggest? Walking up to the door unarmed every time this happens and politely asking who’s home? Reality says differently.

They aren’t terrorizing anyone - they’re showing up to a scene and doing their jobs off of intel that they received. There is a massive misconception of “guys with scary guns and armor don’t need that at all” - and it’s comically wrong.

Understanding American society, our population size, our gun count, and political slant towards personal independence is key to why ERTs need to be armed the way that they do.

Not picking on them, but good example - I can’t tell you how many Brits I watch wince at the sight of British Transport Police carrying rifles in the Underground. Most of the citizens have no experience with firearms, so they are naturally hesitant to think why -anyone- would need them. Different environment, different exposure.
I feel that the American society doesn't seem very civilised, worse isn't keen on becoming one. The incompetence of the US government (regardless of who's there) doesn't help thing either.

Floyd is a "poster boy" in spite of his serious imperfections because he was murdered in public by a cop that was asked to take his knee of of Floyd's neck. He declined and proceeded to kill the man, that he previously knew and disliked.
Floyd died because he was a violent felon who was out in public, high on fentanyl trying to commit a crime when the cops got called on him. If he were serving the appropriate time in jail for his previous crimes he would not have ended up the way he did. Or he could have just gotten into the back of the police car with out resisting. There are literally infinite ways to not die at the hands of the police but only a few that will increase that likelihood.

I feel that the American society doesn't seem very civilised, worse isn't keen on becoming one. The incompetence of the US government (regardless of who's there) doesn't help thing either.

I would agree that our government is incompetent in a monumental level, regardless of who’s in office.

As far as civilized, that’s open to interpretation. Depends what side of the fence you stand on. A lot of Americans state things about the EU that I’ve personally witnessed to be false - because they don’t have the real experience to know better.

But, unfortunately the same thing happens when outside countries try to assume things about America. The news is a horrible place to draw opinions about the US. They specialize in overemphasizing issues and downplaying progress.

U funny.

U don't know American cops...
lol yup they don't call in SWAT when they want to investigate they shoot first and ask question later!

That is a job for regular cops.

The death penalty is not a deterrent when it takes 20-40 years to get around to it.
In situations like this where we know beyond a shadow of a doubt who is responsible, it should be done immediately after sentencing. Make it public. All news stations should carry it. Declare the crime and then show the consequence.
But the problem our justice system has, is that progressives in the late 1800’s decided that justice was not about punishing but reforming. I’m sorry, but that is a dumb idea. It places a higher value on the potential future goodness of evil criminals than on the actual goodness of average decent citizens.
The social contract is that I delegate my right to vengeance to the state and they pursue justice by holding a fair trial to establish guilt (under the presumption of innocence). This way my anger as a wounded party does not cloud the discovery of truth. Also, should the victims be too weak to seek vengeance themselves or should there be no survivors to seek vengeance the state is the proper vehicle to punish.
But when the state fails to deliver equal, impartial justice then it has become criminal itself.
Been saying this for the last 10 years now. Hang them in public at city hall or town square to set an example for the rest. This were gonna put you in prison feed you and let you get an education no thanks. Do that with your own tax money not mine.

Honestly one of the best comments I have read and thank you for taking your time posting it.We need more people like you stating this stuff since your head isn't in the sand and you don't sugar coat anything.

Feel like this whole swatting thing isn't being taken seriously by the right people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back