A proposed Chipmaker's Visa could reform H-1B, but will Congress go for it?

emorphy

Staff
Something to look forward to: The semiconductor industry is in dire need of new workers and it is unlikely to find them in the United States. One possible solution has been proposed by the Economic Innovation Group, but can Congress come together on this sensitive issue in an election year?

It is difficult to overstate the importance of the H-1B visa system to the US tech industry. American firms rely on it to bring in engineers, computer scientists, and technicians from foreign countries to do much of the advanced R&D and technical work they need to stay competitive. Americans work for these companies, too, of course, but their numbers don't come close to meeting the industry's needs.

Last year, the Semiconductor Industry Association and Oxford Economics released a study showing that the US is facing a projected shortfall of 67,000 of these specialty workers in the semiconductor industry by 2030, and a gap of 1.4 million such workers throughout the broader US economy.

But the H-1B program has its problems. It is a company-sponsored visa that is typically valid for three years and extendable to six. There is a 65,000 total annual cap on the visas, which are awarded by lottery tickets – a highly inefficient process that does not ensure they go to the best use, or to occupations of pressing national concerns, such as semiconductors, according to Adam Ozimek, chief economist at the Economic Innovation Group (EIG).

The system is also not easy to tinker with, at least politically. Critics of the H-1B visa say that it brings in foreign workers who are willing to work for less money than US workers, and that it is used by offshore outsourcing firms to replace US workers. Any discussion to ease some of its requirements usually leads to accusations that it will cost US jobs.

But the growing need for these workers, especially in the semiconductor industry, is prompting both the industry and the government to try and improve the process.

The US State Department recently announced a pilot program to allow eligible H-1B holders to renew their visas in the US instead of leaving the country. There had been a domestic renewal program in earlier years, but it was discontinued in 2004 over security concerns. But the scope of this pilot is limited as it is only open to current H-1B visas issued by Mission Canada from Jan. 1, 2020 through April 1, 2023 or by Mission India from Feb. 1, 2021 through Sept. 30, 2021.

Another solution offered by EIG details a more comprehensive solution. They have proposed a new Chipmaker's Visa specifically for the semiconductor industry that would streamline the process by auctioning off 2,500 visas per quarter to qualified companies for a total of 10,000 per year with an expedited path to a Green Card. The visas would be good for five years and renewable only once.

EIG will be working to draft a policy this year with members of Congress who are interested in taking the lead on this, says chief economist Ozimek. There is hope that the idea could catch on; the CHIPS and Science Act of 2022 – which is generating even more demand for skilled workers in the US – was passed with broad bipartisan support.

On the other hand, this is an election year, and nothing will be easy to pass on highly polarized Capitol Hill. The Chipmaker's Visa also has a branding problem – few in the government are talking about it, says Royal Kastens, director of public policy and advocacy at SEMI. "It's hard to predict. There are certainly people on the Hill who would appreciate the idea. There are some who would have questions."

Permalink to story.

Maybe we’d have more domestic labor in tech if people weren’t seeing these hard-earned professions offshored while being forced to train their replacements.

STEM careers are hard and should be compensated accordingly. Don’t expand H1-B and continue to devalue our domestic supply of skilled labor. This is also a national security issue.

Stop bringing in hordes of people to offset your local workforce. Half of these H1Bs can barely turn a computer on. Blind is FULL of threads complaining about these ding dongs being brought in because they are cheap, mucking up everything, then the few competent locals left are forced to fix everything. This is what causes non productive behavior from employees. Why should any of them work hard when they just get replaced? Any company that receives any form of grants or tax relief should be banned from using the H1B visa program.

As a foreign student myself, I have seen firsthand where the problem lies. Semiconductors and every other field gets pooled in along with Software and IT for these visas. Most of these visas as shown here goes to candidates in IT and SW. This post is regarding Chips Act and the possible solutions to improving the semi workforce. My company and other semiconductor players mostly seem to rely on Asian immigrants who are all at least a master's degree holder. There is just simply not enough Americans pursuing degrees in majors like Materials science which is one of the keys for this sector. My research group had a grand total of 1 American.

To the person above me complaining about threads he's seen on Blind, I'd say take it with a grain of salt. These IT outsourced jobs exist because companies want to save money. Apple does it too. They go through consultancies to hire incompetant people who then get the stuff done in India for a price. End of the day, company gets their low priority stuff done for cheap. Of course, the engineering side is different. So this annoys me as much if not more because I can't get a H1B because of these scammers.

Is there a shortage, or are companies not paying high enough salaries and providing scholarships to get more people in the industry? I suspect that companies see H1B reform as a cheap shortcut.

Perhaps H1B needs to be reformed, but I wouldn't trust for-profit industries as the provider of the reason why it should be.

Just improve the education, make it free as in EU countries to allow the smart kids to actually learn something, make public education actually teaching kids instead of limiting them, and create better working environment. Sure, the foreigners are happy to work 60 hours a week, they are desperate, but your citizens are not. There have to be a balance in work and life, and US has already forgot about it.

It is not that there are no smart workers in US. The problem is, you simply do not educate them, and kinda let other countries educate their citizens and you import a ready product. Which allows government to forget about education expenses and keep it cheap and... not educating enough.
And exploiting workers constantly is same - foreigners have to cope with that and they just work and sleep. So, citizens have to do same, work, party, sleep, repeat...
Tackling visas makes no sense. Solid educational reforms and workers rights can bring you a locally trained experts in 10 years maybe, but... it means, for next 10 years you still give knowledge and experience to Chinese guys who will come back to China further enforcing their strengths and science. Not treating your own citizens like investment into future is undermining it.

The US should not give H1B's to people from counties that are hostile towards their neighbors and also people from countries that aren't allowed to buy chip-making tools are are known for spying and stealing tech.

Back