A question about my Compaq Presario laptop

learninmypc

When I originally got it from a friend a few years back,it had a bogus XP Pro OS on it so another friend gave a valid copy & I put it on & all went great till about 15 months ago when it mysteriously crashed. I suspect an angry (mentally ill) neighbor possibly used a flashdrive because when I rebooted it, it didn't.
I don't remember what it said on the screen but I did use the CD my other friend gave me to try to re install the OS & even after reformatted the harddrive,it said it couldn't proceed.
Well, I knew I had a recovery CD package but couldn't find it till tonight. On the triple CD set,it says ;
"HP Pavilion recovery. Below that,it says These CD's contain a backup copy of all software originally installed and can ONLY be used with an HP Pavilion PC".
So, my question is do you think it'll work or not? TIA

Give it try. No way to tell to you try it. If they are indeed the orginal recovery disk, They should work.

Give it try. No way to tell to you try it. If they are indeed the orginal recovery disk, They should work.
Ok, I should of said the recovery disk package did NOT come with the laptop but I'm still willing to try since I doubt it'll do any harm. What do you think?

If it is not the laptops, Recovery disk. I very much doubt it will work. Hp /Compaq. Code their recovery disk to the computer or laptop that it came with.

If it is not the laptops, Recovery disk. I very much doubt it will work. Hp /Compaq. Code their recovery disk to the computer or laptop that it came with.
Where on the CD package is that code because this one has an 8 digit number with a - dividing the first 4 from the 2nd 4 & its on what appears to be a paper gummed seal to keep the case closed.

The software it self is coded. It will not install. The numbers you are talking about. Are the part numbers . For the Recovery cd.

I have three Hp computers Who all run win 7. There recovery disk can only be used on the computer that its ment for.

Sound like you need to find someone who has a valid copy of Xp and give that a try.

Ok,thank you for your replies. I didn't have much hope for it,but knew it wouldn't hurt to ask.(y)What might happen if I tried anyhow :)?

If you try the recovery disk . It will goes as far as to install windows files. Then a blue screen will come up and tell you It not for your system. Like I said you are better of getting a valid copy of windows. Then trying that. Providing nothing else is wrong with the laptop.

If you try the recovery disk . It will goes as far as to install windows files. Then a blue screen will come up and tell you It not for your system. Like I said you are better of getting a valid copy of windows. Then trying that. Providing nothing else is wrong with the laptop.
Thanks.Have a great FIRST day of summer today.(y)

OK, although the disks say w/me on them & on the bottom of the laptop the MS Sticker also says Windows ME, I decided to try it any how & quickly got an ERROR screen so I give up.:)(y) Maybe some day the pc gods will smile on m & ..........:D Thanks everybody.

Back