A real challange for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, just meet with a problem I have never seen before (guess it wouldnt be a problem otherwise) and I think that I am a bit out of my depth here so I have to look out for the experts for help. Here is what happened.

This happened to my mates laptop just last week. The system was obviously downloading some windows update when my mate forced it to shut down (a very long press on the power key). The next morning when we loaded the system, it appears to be doing some installation before the operating system is loaded; just before the log on stage. When we got into the system, a screen poped up asking us if we want to load with all the system files or just the minimum. We selected all sys files. From that point onwards there was no hardware. I mean, windows cannot find any hardware, the device manager box is just a blank page. However, I searched for the hardwares manually and you can still find them. Also, windows seems to be using the hard-disks, motherboards etc all fine. Yet, we cannot get the internet or the sound card working and we cannot find a way for windows to recognize itself that it has these hardware connected.

I would most appreaciate it if anyone can provide me with some suggestions as to what the problem might be. Thanks alot!

Try System Restore if this is Windows XP. Obviously, use a restore point before all this happened.

I forgot to mention, my mate has not switched on system restore; there are no restore points, and his DVD-ROM is not working so we cant really reinstall the system. Ofcourse, we can boot from lan but all that is a load of trouble and I would prefer not having to do that. But thanks for your comment.

when you mean not working do you mean that windows can't use it, or that it is physically broken? You should be able to boot off of it even if windows can't use it. Repair the OS. Replace the dvd drive if you have to.

Unfourtunatly, it is physically broken... I am suspecting that becuase windows was installing some updates or soething of the sort when it was physically shut down, it is probably a registry error, but where I dont know...ofcourse, I could be way off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back