A third of all Netflix subscribers in the US share their passwords

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Nearly one in three US-based Netflix subscribers share account login credentials between households. The data, from an online survey of 4,400 US households conducted by Leichtman Research Group, reveals that 64 percent of Netflix subscribers pay for the service and do not share it with others outside their household. The remaining 33 percent participate in some form of sharing.

Netflix is well aware that lots of subscribers share their accounts with others. Earlier this month, the streaming giant said it will soon be testing features design to help sharers do so easily, securely and fairly.

At the forefront is the "add an extra member" option, which as the name suggests, will allow account holders to add up to two sub accounts for people that don't live under the same roof. Each sub account will have its own profile, recommendations and login credentials, Netflix said.

The trial is expected to start in the coming weeks in Chile, Peru and Costa Rica.

Netflix in its most recent earnings report said it had 222 million paying subscribers worldwide. The company no longer breaks down its US subscriber count, but estimates suggest Netflix has around 75 million subscribers across the US and Canada. If even a small fraction of these users are sharing accounts with others, it results in the potential loss of millions of dollars – money that Netflix could use to finance even more original content.

Consider this: if everyone paid their fair share, we likely wouldn't see price hikes nearly as often. Viewed through this lens, one could argue that existing account holders who share their credentials with others are a primary driver of price increases that directly impact their own wallets.

Image credit cottonbro, Juraj Gabriel

Permalink to story.

This is peak bait and switch: Of course most people are sharing passwords, Netflix ENCOURAGED THE PRACTICE THEMSELVES. Now that they're failing to meet their impossible target numbers due to no fault from their subscribers AT ALL but just fierce competitors coming into the arena like Disney NOW they want to gaslight people into paying for something their own CEO said it was an okay thing to do 5 or 6 years ago.

Sorry but no: If I'm not able to share passwords I'm honestly not even gonna bother paying for Netflix at all anymore and on the rare occasion they have a show or movie exclusive to them that I want to actively seek out (Which happens honestly 1 or 2 times per year) I'll just abstain or find other ways to watch it, probably by getting someone to share it with me regardless of how much they complain.

Eh....considering I only watch a small fraction of their "original" content I can't say I'm really that impressed by some of the US content lately. I've found myself watching content from other countries since their shows seem to appeal to me more.

In all honesty, if my 9 year old son didn't like watching cartoon stuff on Netflix, I probably wouldn't have a subscription to them anymore. The wife and I find plenty of stuff to watch on Discovery+ or Peacock.....otherwise I just watch what I have on my Plex server (over a thousand movies and dozens of complete TV series) since I find the stuff on there entertaining.

I really should complete my Futurama series (missing 2 of the movies and the last 2 seasons). Same with House....need the last 2 seasons. And I really wish that the Psych movies came out on DVD/Blu-ray.....I'd rather have them in my possession and play off Plex than to have to stream them and use data.

I can very much relate, but brother, just make sure you DO NOT get Disney+ :D

Indeed. Supporting today's Disney is literally supporting pedophilia. They have actively fought against child protection measures like the Parental Rights in Education bill and are vowing to support efforts by schools to expose kindergarten kids to graphic sexual indoctrination without parental knowledge. Make sure Disney doesn't make a dime off of you and spread the word that their supporting institutionalized pedophilia.

I have never shared my subscription with anyone, and likely never will. Unfortunately, it sounds like Netflix dug their own hole and jumped, thus finding it potentially too deep to get out of. Needless to say, sharing is not important to me. If Netflix s-cans sharing, I am sure some subscribers will leave, but if those who are, essentially, getting it for free pay their fair share, perhaps that will stem further price increases.

Indeed. Supporting today's Disney is literally supporting pedophilia. They have actively fought against child protection measures like the Parental Rights in Education bill and are vowing to support efforts by schools to expose kindergarten kids to graphic sexual indoctrination without parental knowledge. Make sure Disney doesn't make a dime off of you and spread the word that their supporting institutionalized pedophilia.
Propaganda from the left = Propaganda from the right. The truth? Somewhere inbetween. As Kosh from Babylon 5 said:

Understanding is a three-edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth.

I have never shared my subscription with anyone, and likely never will. Unfortunately, it sounds like Netflix dug their own hole and jumped, thus finding it potentially too deep to get out of. Needless to say, sharing is not important to me. If Netflix s-cans sharing, I am sure some subscribers will leave, but if those who are, essentially, getting it for free pay their fair share, perhaps that will stem further price increases.

Propaganda from the left = Propaganda from the right. The truth? Somewhere inbetween. As Kosh from Babylon 5 said:
Its an actual bill, not propaganda. Here's the full text:

Well, that got dark fast.

At first, I only shared my subscription with folks who couldn't be bothered to try it out, but over time they added features like 4k (and with every feature bump came a free increase in number of streams.)

What the hell an I supposed to do with this forced-bundled features? If they suddenly cut everyone else off, I sure-as-hell won't be paying for 4k anymore.

I mostly watch animation , so I would guess the 720p plan would be fine for that!!

At first, I only shared my subscription with folks who couldn't be bothered to try it out, but over time they added features like 4k (and with every feature bump came a free increase in number of streams.)

What the hell an I supposed to do with this forced-bundled features? If they suddenly cut everyone else off, I sure-as-hell won't be paying for 4k anymore.

I mostly watch animation , so I would guess the 720p plan would be fine for that!!

You get 3 plan choices:
Basic - 480p for $9.99/month
Standard - 1080p for $15.49/month
Premium - 4k for $19.99/month

It's only fair to point out the Disney's "agenda" was asking for the repeal of the don't say gay act. While it's true that Disney should have read it more thoroughly, myself, I would rather see a don't say trumpist act, against trump and all his spineless bigots. That's my agenda.

Last edited:
It's only fair to point out the Disney's "agenda" was asking for the repeal of the don't say gay act.
The same Disney that funded it?

Bottom line is corporations will do anything for money. Don't anthropomorphize them.

The only reputation a corporation deserves is to be expected to whatever a particular situation suggests will be the path to more profit. That has nothing to do with ideologies beyond simple amoral greed.

As far as I've read, Disney executives chose to fund the bigoted irrational legislation. Employees found out and complained. Now, the executives want the public to think the company didn't support the legislation — to pacify the employees and get good press. The money Disney gave to fund the legislation helped to get it passed, so Disney is trying to pretend its executives had the opposite agenda.

Bottom line is corporations will do anything for money. Don't anthropomorphize them.
Which, if legal, is fine. It's the way of the free society.

The only reputation a corporation deserves is to be expected to whatever a particular situation suggests will be the path to more profit. That has nothing to do with ideologies beyond simple amoral greed.
Earning money is not greed. Break no laws, be good to people, rake in what you can.
And greed IS good. If lawful.

Anyone notice the large amounts of pedo's came from Disney employees? One of them was in charge of the operation that was posted by law enforcement and the lead detective looked like he was going to throw up in disgust. This was posted 1 or 2 weeks ago. Anyone want to post it? I don't feel like searching again. Anyway sorry for dragging this on.

The only thing I've noticed, other than the PR game Disney executives are playing, is that the bill is socially corrosive and passed anyway.

That's unfortunate. What various Disney employees do in their spare time is a lot less important in the big picture.

Mandating ignorance is not smart. Pretending that legal US citizens don't exist is insane.

I'm pretty sure that this was the plan all along:
- allow people to share their passwords with others
- wait a few years to get as many people hooked as possible
- then, by the time the number of new subscriptions dries out, pull the plug on password sharing and voila! a new wave of new subscribers, aren't we great?!
If I'm allowed a shameless parallel, the drug dealers also offer the first one free, eh?

Back