Accidently Deleted Avast "False Positives" Found In Spybot, Comp Now Running Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Last week I all of a sudden starting detting "virus detected" alerts from from Avast. The virus was a trojan called "Win32:Delf-MZG" and was found in several Spybot files. I panicked and deleted two files from Spybot search and destroy that Avast said had the trojan, one was "Teatimer" and I can't remember what the other was. I then found out that these alerts were "False Positives" and there was a bug in Avast's recent update which I believe they fixed the next day.

So I went to un-install Spybot so I could re-install it again to replace the files I had deleted and it wouldn't let me. So I simply downloaded spybot again without un-installing the existing Spybot on my system. I then had two spybot icons on my desktop, one from the new install, the other from the old install. I deleted the old install icon and for some reason the new install icon then lost it's Spybot "Skin" and went to an icon with a blue arrow in the bottom left hand corner pointing to a little screenshot with icons on it.

When I click on that icon, Spybot still loads and works and removes spyware on my system but I've noticed since all this happened (the virus alerts, the deleting of the files, the new Spybot install) my computer now takes longer to boot and certain websites (mostly forums) take longer to load. And for some reason my broadband connection has gone a bit erratic going from "Excellent 54mbps" to "Excellent 48mbps" to "Good 36mbps" to "Excellent 36mbps" throughout the day.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

Try a System Restore to date before the False Positives were removed.

Visit the Spybot forum for information on the 2 False Positives and how to handle them.

You are posting in our Vitus and Malware Removal Forum. If you need help for that, please follow the steps HERE, then leave the 3 logs for our review.

Try a System Restore to date before the False Positives were removed.

Visit the Spybot forum for information on the 2 False Positives and how to handle them.

You are posting in our Vitus and Malware Removal Forum. If you need help for that, please follow the steps HERE, then leave the 3 logs for our review.

Hi, Bobbye, thanks for the help.

I'm a bit cautious of System Restore. Is it safe? Will I lose files? What could potentially go wrong with it? Should I do it in safe mode?

Thanks

From Microsoft:
Note System Restore does not affect personal files, such as e-mail, documents, or photos. You can only restore files that you have deleted if you have made backups of those files.

If you delete files that go to the Recycle Bin but forgot to empty the bin, you can also restore the files from there.

Details here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

System Restore may be the very best tool you have on your system! You set a restore point before you install, uninstall, update or do other system work. then if it causes a problem, you use System Restore to go back to the way the system was before you did it.

The system will set restore points automatically if the computer is on, about every 24 hours. You should also set your own restore point before doing any of the above I mentioned.

Big tip: Always set a restore point before doing a Windows update. Then if the update messes p the system, you can restore to date right before the update. Works like magic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back