According to Sony, Vaio owners shouldn't upgrade to Windows 10 until October

Scorpus

Staff member

For the vast majority of users out there, upgrading to Windows 10 has been a relatively smooth process regardless of what hardware you're using. But for Sony Vaio owners, Sony is advising users not to upgrade to Windows 10 just yet as the company isn't even close to having drivers ready.

Over on the Sony Vaio support website, a large warning advises people to hold off on upgrading to Windows 10 until the company has compatible drivers available. For users who bought systems with Windows 8.1 or 8 pre-installed, these drivers won't be available until October or November respectively.

At least three months is quite a long time to wait to upgrade to Windows 10, especially considering those with devices from competitors have been able to upgrade from day one. Acer, Dell, Lenovo, HP and Asus are just some of the companies that are already providing Windows 10-ready drivers for their laptops, and many provide step-by-step instructions guiding users through the upgrade process.

While owners of some Vaio laptops previously running Windows 8 or 8.1 will eventually get drivers supporting Windows 10, those that purchased laptops running Windows 7 out of the box are out of luck. Sony doesn't provide any information on when these devices will receive drivers or upgrade instructions, which indicates Sony will not continue to support them into the Windows 10 era.

Sony's lackluster support for Windows 10 is disappointing, but not hugely surprising considering the company sold off their entire PC division to Japan Industrial Partners in early 2014. It's unlikely that Sony will continue to support their devices for much longer, so it might be time to look for an upgrade in the near future.

Permalink to story.

So I tried the upgrade install on my Vaio last night the whole process completed smoothy and win 10 was working however I ran some issues. The Core i5 which run at 2.53Ghz would not drop to the lower multipliers and down clock it would only hit 2Ghz where as on win 7 it will drop to sub 2ghz speeds at idle. I also saw High Cpu load from the Intel rst drivers. This machine has both Intel gpu an a Nvidia gpu.

I couldn't get the NV gpu working at all intel one was fine.

So ya this vaio isn't ready for windows 10 I restore back to 7 last night.

What is BS about this is fine don't provide drivers but remove your stupid driver locks so I can go to NV's site or AMD and install their drivers. Dropping support and not allowing us to try custom drivers or modified drivers is a big deal, if they are not supporting it open up the platform.

Computing.
Sony failed it !

So don't expect anything typical in terms of support,
when the mfg has exited the market place.

I can translate what Sony said for those who can't read between the lines:

"
Dear consumers, even though we had access to Win 10 for over a year in order to prepare the drivers, we have sat on on hands this entire time because we didn't have the foresight and really didn't care just how fast adaptation would be of Win 10 due to it being a Free Upgrade. Just look at our track record.
Regards, Sony

PS, the joke is on you!
"

Installed Win10 on my Vaio last week. Upgraded first then a clean installation. Only two drivers missing but fixed simply using previous Win7 drivers. Other than that no issues whatsoever.

But yeah, poor show, Sony. Poor.

I upgraded to windows 10. No issues yet.
My vaio is a gen 1 ultra book that came preloaded with windows 7

Vaio Z VPCZ133GX

Installed Win10 on my Vaio last week. Upgraded first then a clean installation. Only two drivers missing but fixed simply using previous Win7 drivers. Other than that no issues whatsoever.

Going to assume you both have newer models that came preloaded with windows 8?

I upgraded to windows 10. No issues yet.

Vaio Z VPCZ133GX

No, mine was preloaded with Windows 7, from around 2012 I believe. I read Sony's warning prior to upgrading but decided to ignore it - I guess I'm impatient. I can revert back to Win7 if it eventually goes t*ts up but so far so good. Windows 10 is actually very very good imo.

People............sony doesn't make parts that go inside of a computer. they dont make motherboards chipsets ram blah blah blah. it's not their responsibility to update bios, chipsets or anything in order to make them compatible with windows 10. that would be the other guys. quit flaming sony for something that isn't their problem.

No, mine was preloaded with Windows 7, from around 2012 I believe. I read Sony's warning prior to upgrading but decided to ignore it - I guess I'm impatient. I can revert back to Win7 if it eventually goes t*ts up but so far so good. Windows 10 is actually very very good imo.

I didn't do a clean install of win 10 on the laptop I will give that another go on the weekend.

Exactly what Mrjgriffin said above. Vaio computers dont use sony made motherboards, ram, cpu, etc. Download and upgrade the drivers yourself.

Not only does Sony not make motherboards, GPUs, etc... they don't even make VAIOs!!!

They sold it awhile back - so really, it would be Japan Industrial Partners' responsibility to support them...

Sony is responsible for plenty of crap (hello PSN downtimes!), but I hardly think we can blame them for this...

Vaio Z VPCZ133GX

Mine is a VPCEG16FM that came preloaded with windows 7. Sony did not reveal any further details regarding preloaded windows 7 laptops and I guess my laptop, though it is windows 10 compatible, will not be supported. That's why I went for a clean installation of windows 10, and installed the windows 8.1 drivers found on the Sony support page. I also have the Sony Vaio Flip (2014) that came preloaded with windows 8; I would prefer waiting for its drivers.

My Vaio FZ38M started off with Vista which I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium after I had the nVidia chip replaced. The upgrade to Windows 10 via the media creation tool has worked fine and even the function keys still operate as before. After my experiences with Sony support I think most Vaio users will be waiting forever for advice on upgrading their Sony machines. The good news is that Sony no longer make any computers. Hopefully the company now looking after the Vaio name have better qualified staff.

My Vaio FZ38M started off with Vista which I upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium after I had the nVidia chip replaced. The upgrade to Windows 10 via the media creation tool has worked fine and even the function keys still operate as before. After my experiences with Sony support I think most Vaio users will be waiting forever for advice on upgrading their Sony machines. The good news is that Sony no longer make any computers. Hopefully the company now looking after the Vaio name have better qualified staff.
Yeah, I believe Sony just wants to make sure no user suffers compatibility issues by providing the most convenient drivers. Actually, I am a big fan of Sony :p .. Although Vaio laptops they provided were sometimes overpriced with average graphic cards (I am not a heavy gamer so I don't mind), they really showed experienced work and devotion in comparison to other firms such as HP, Acer, Lenovo and Toshiba considering every aspect. I own 4 Sony Vaio laptops :)

I'm guessing your Sony laptops are of fairly recent vintage and don't have the nVidia 8400/8600 graphics chip. This turned out to be a disaster and most laptop manufacturers were quick to acknowledge the problem and provide a fix. Sony tried to bluff their way out and it was very difficult to get support. Those who had the motherboard replaced found the problem recurring.

Vaio laptops have lots of function keys and if you do a clean install of Windows 10 it could be really hard to get full functionality back. I'd recommend doing an installation where all programs documents and drivers are kept for the upgrade using a Microsoft recommended path.

My Vaio was bought with a defective graphics chip and no hard drive. I paid for a professional graphics chip upgrade but what really surprised me was how hard it was to restore all the bells and whistles that came with the Vaio. Software had to be installed in a particular order and some essential drivers were not on the Sony support websites. Their tech support was clueless. When I sorted everything out I emailed the support advisor to give him the necessary information and he failed to recognise that I was helping him.

My laptop cost £2 plus postage on eBay but had I paid in excess of £1000 for it new as the seller did I'd be pretty unhappy with Sony. Having said that I reckon that Sony are currently well ahead of the competition with their compact digital cameras.

I upgraded my duo 13 to Windows 10 last week. I had maybe two issues one with distorted videos which was caused by something called X-Reality in the vaio control center (disabled this and the video issue is resolved) the other seems to be related to the gpu fan kicking in and full rpm and not slowing time ... randomly.

I'm guessing your Sony laptops are of fairly recent vintage and don't have the nVidia 8400/8600 graphics chip. This turned out to be a disaster and most laptop manufacturers were quick to acknowledge the problem and provide a fix. Sony tried to bluff their way out and it was very difficult to get support. Those who had the motherboard replaced found the problem recurring.

Vaio laptops have lots of function keys and if you do a clean install of Windows 10 it could be really hard to get full functionality back. I'd recommend doing an installation where all programs documents and drivers are kept for the upgrade using a Microsoft recommended path.

My Vaio was bought with a defective graphics chip and no hard drive. I paid for a professional graphics chip upgrade but what really surprised me was how hard it was to restore all the bells and whistles that came with the Vaio. Software had to be installed in a particular order and some essential drivers were not on the Sony support websites. Their tech support was clueless. When I sorted everything out I emailed the support advisor to give him the necessary information and he failed to recognise that I was helping him.

My laptop cost £2 plus postage on eBay but had I paid in excess of £1000 for it new as the seller did I'd be pretty unhappy with Sony. Having said that I reckon that Sony are currently well ahead of the competition with their compact digital cameras.
First, I am sorry you suffered all that :p and Yeah, you're right, I have no such nVidia in any of my laptops. I would agree also that installing drivers of any firm should have some logical path. Upgrading the graphics chip should be preceded with thorough checks to verify the compatibility of the hardware with the rest of the laptop. It seems you were aware of that and did so. In Windows 8 and above, I felt that all Sony's special keys were automatically verified and worked good due to Microsoft's strategy (embed numerous drivers in the OS installation) to make OS upgrade an easy task. Well yes, support can be disappointing sometimes, and this can happen in any tech giant. I can't agree more regarding digital cameras

Compact digital cameras is, in my humble opinion, a fairly foolish thing to be investing much in... Smartphones will pretty much destroy this genre - if they haven't already done so...

In the case of my FZ range Vaio that launched with Vista I found that the same driver package worked perfectly when I upgraded to Windows 7. During the upgrade to Windows 10 I didn't need to change any drivers. If any new ones were installed that was all taken care of by the installation process and I was not notified. The only glitch I noticed was that the wireless adaptor was dropping its connection. Uninstalling the device and drivers made no difference because the driver was the correct one. In the end I found that the problem was Windows 10 turning off the device to save power. All that was needed was to untick a box somewhere in network settings. It took me ages to work that out though. :)

I paid for a Windows 7 disc on eBay so it was a legitimate copy. The Microsoft upgrade paths handle everything when installing W10. I didn't have to enter any key. Windows 10 was activated automatically. I wouldn't recommend just banging in a W10 disc and hoping for the best.

Did Win 10 tell you which drivers were missing and where to get them? I have Win 8.1 on my Sony Vaio Ultrabook. Am I able to install Win 10 now?
If you are willing to do a clean install, then download windows 8.1 drivers found on the Sony support site. Next, check for updates through windows update and make sure no yellow exclamation mark is found on the device manager. You can also upgrade to Windows 10 as long as your VAIO is working fine on Windows 8.1. Answering your questions, Windows 10 does not tell you which drivers are missing, and YES you can install Windows 10 now.

Back