Acer 7520 boot problem

Having a bit of a problem with an Acer 7520 laptop, yesterday it crashed to a white screen with bits of static on it, almost like the graphics card had overheated. I switched it off and left it for a while and now its refusing to boot up.

When you press the power button it begins booting and the lights come on, but after a couple of seconds it powers down, then tries to start again. It never gets far enough for the screen to come on and it will keep doing this cycle until the power is unplugged and the battery is removed.

Ive tried the following without any luck:

Booting up with battery removed and power in/vice versa - no effect
Opening up the back and cleaning all the dust out of it - no effect
Removed one of the two ram chips and tried booting, then same with other - no effect
removed both Ram chips and tried booting - no effect (the fact that it isnt even complaining that there is no ram in it leads me to believe something in it is seriously messed up.)
Re-seated hard disk - no effect
Removing battery and unplugging from power and leaving overnight - no effect

So its looking like its a dud but if anyone has any ideas for other stuff i can try i would be very grateful.

I dont think a cpu would be able to go from room temperature to overheating in the space of a couple of seconds would it? Also the heat sync appears to be on fine and the fan is working correctly.

Correction, it can in a second, specially with an inefficient cpu fan or thermal pastes no longer conducts heat.

There is a threshold range of core temp set in your BIOS on when to stop booting to prevent damage to the processor due to overheating. Better check your processor, and clean the heatsink and fan.

I just checked the processor, its seated fine and isnt getting hot. I redid the thermal paste on the heat sync just in case and cleaned out the fan and its all fine but has had no effect on the problem.

have you tried re-applying thermal gel for the graphic card? i encountered similar problem with acer 5920 before (8600m gt problem). note some laptop video cards are MXM, they are removable.

Back