Adaia to unveil $1,300 Android phone for adventurers

David Tom

Struggling handset manufacturer Nokia has seen its fair share of problems, highlighted by extreme downsizing and mass layoffs. However, Nokia’s turmoil has launched a series of promising startups; one of which is Adaia, a 16-person initiative led by ex-Nokia employee Heikki Sarajarvi, which is working on a new rugged smartphone that can withstand the toughest environments.

“I was so fed up. I can’t be the only one who is destroying these smartphones doing completely normal things,” Sarajarvi said while explaining his motivation behind the venture. Unfortunately, premium devices also come with premium price tags. Early reports suggest that the handsets will cost anywhere between $1,300 and $6,500.

finnish adaia android smartphone nokia satellite communications

The Android-powered handset is expected to release in 2014 and is targeted at adventurous individuals. The phone can supposedly function while submerged under ten meters of seawater, as well as at altitudes that exceed 9,000 meters. To further its image as an emergency device, the new handset will have a unique SOS feature. With the touch of a button, users are connected to an emergency response team via a satellite network. This means that distress calls can be sent from virtually anywhere, regardless of whether a cell tower is nearby or not. The initial version will only support outgoing satellite communication; however, the Adaia team hopes to add two way connectivity to the next rendition of the device.

According to Engadget, Finnish publication Digitoday recently received a prototype of the Adaia smartphone. Although the publication has yet to release any photos of the device, they did explain some of its characteristics. Digitoday claims that the phone has a 4.8 inch screen and weighs between 240 and 250 grams. Comparing this weight to other handsets currently on the market, this is definitely on the high side. Digitoday also mentioned that the device will be able to have its battery hot-swapped without ever turning the phone off.

It will be interesting to see how the device fairs in the competitive smartphone space. Will Adaia successfully corner the premium niche, or will its extravagant prices take a hit on sales?

Permalink to story.

There's a cell phone case by Otter box called Armored you can buy that can dive under water up to 6.6ft and withstand 2 tons of crushing force, for $79. that takes care of 30% of the listed feature and it doesn't cost $1300 or $6500 dollars. this is why nokia fails.

There's a cell phone case by Otter box called Armored you can buy that can dive under water up to 6.6ft and withstand 2 tons of crushing force, for $79. that takes care of 30% of the listed feature and it doesn't cost $1300 or $6500 dollars. this is why nokia fails.

I agree with everything, as I have seen the Armor series cases and they are as you describe. But what does Nokia have to do with this?

I agree with everything, as I have seen the Armor series cases and they are as you describe. But what does Nokia have to do with this?

my point and opinion was that since this company was founded by ex nokia employees. hence this is the type of people Nokia hires/hired that envisions their product development, which has very little appeal to the general consumer and have high price/value ratio.

my point and opinion was that since this company was founded by ex nokia employees. hence this is the type of people Nokia hires/hired that envisions their product development, which has very little appeal to the general consumer and have high price/value ratio.

It's a little disingenuous to blame Nokia for this, only because ex-Nokia employees have sought other ventures. Even worse, to assume this is the kind of people Nokia hires without any frame of reference. Especially considering that unlocked Nokia devices are widely known to be considerably cheaper than competing smartphones...

It's a little disingenuous to blame Nokia for this, only because ex-Nokia employees have sought other ventures. Even worse, to assume this is the kind of people Nokia hires without any frame of reference. Especially considering that unlocked Nokia devices are widely known to be considerably cheaper than competing smartphones...

if you couldn't sense my sarcasm in the original post, you're taking it way too seriously.

if you couldn't sense my sarcasm in the original post, you're taking it way too seriously.

I didn't see sarcasm, because there seemed to be none of it. Hence my first reply to you asking for some context. Your second reply seemed to only prove even further that what you said at the end of you first post was what you meant.

I didn't see sarcasm, because there seemed to be none of it. Hence my first reply to you asking for some context. Your second reply seemed to only prove even further that what you said at the end of you first post was what you meant.

my second reply was in response to the fact that it seems you didn't get the reference relation of "ex nokia employee". seriously... it was meant to be sarcastic.. if you didn't get it then you didn't get it. let it go.

Back