AdBlock wants to buy ads to promote getting rid of ads

Scorpus

Staff member

adblock ads advertising crowdfunding campaign

In one of the stranger crowdfunding efforts we've seen in recent times, Adblock, known for their ad removal extensions for web browsers, are campaigning to fund ads of their own. Simply put, they're "going to use ads to get rid of ads", using any money they raise to produce banner ads, video commercials and even billboards promoting their software.

According to AdBlock founder Michael Gundlach, the campaign will "help make the internet a better place", as of course, "everyone deserves a better Web". The campaign wants to get the word out to the remaining 7 out of 10 internet users that still see ads, so they can be empowered to "choose an online world without advertising".

People who donate to the cause can receive a bunch of rewards including stickers, T-shirts, hoodies, a chat with Gundlach, and even choosing an AdBlock April Fools Day joke. With 27 days left, AdBlock have already reached their first goal of $25,000, and are now hoping that they can fund a Times Square Billboard with $50,000, or even a full page spread in the New York Times with $150,000.

The concept of promoting ad blocking through ads themselves is riddled with irony, but it might have the intended effect. That said, most websites, including TechSpot, rely on advertising to produce the content that you read and enjoy every day. If more people turn to blocking ads, we could end up with a very different internet.

Permalink to story.

That is hilarious!

But don't worry Techspot, I'll keep you on my exceptions list ;)

In fact, as long as the adverts don't seriously slow down the website, I generally unblock them so they get the advertising money, YouTube is the exception since having a bloody video advert every other video is the most annoying form of advertising known to man...

Don't mind watching the adverts providing the content is free. I get the feeling if ads disappear so will a lot of the internet.

Down with adblock! :)

That is hilarious!

But don't worry Techspot, I'll keep you on my exceptions list ;)

In fact, as long as the adverts don't seriously slow down the website, I generally unblock them so they get the advertising money, YouTube is the exception since having a bloody video advert every other video is the most annoying form of advertising known to man...

I think they only get money if you click on the ad to follow the link.....

In which case it doesn't matter if they are visible or not on my monitor. I never click on ads, and most of the time they are completely irrelevant to my interest. I do my own search instead, for links I am interested in. I've been burned by Mal-ware too many times with convenience links. It is easier to ignore all ads, than it is to try and memorize which sites may be safe. I practice my safety habits within the confines of search results.

To me it's important not to watch ads, they are psychologically tailored to make you feel emotional about stuff you dont need and make you waste your money

and I love how they talk about targeted advertising like it is a good thing, "this way we can deliver ads that are more relevant/interesting to you! thats great!" yeah... manipulating me by knowing my interests to make me buy more stuff and separate me from my money, NO THANKS

a good read is "Brandwashed" a book about the tons of manipulative techniques advertisers use to make you buy stuff

Been using Adblock for years. Whenever I have a problem, Michael always notes my report and fixes it. I am more than happy to contribute.

It's very simple, if a too large percentage of people block AD's either all your favorites sites will go under.
Or they will implement a feature where the site will not load when they detect that an AD blocker I in use.

Until then, I'll happilly keep using ad block
and then the next thing after it

I don't mind ads as long as they don't include obnoxious flash videos that begin playing as soon as the page loads. I also despise Captcha boxes that use video ads for Tide and Downey.

I think if this site takes a public television method of earning money you will be more then happy with the money you will receive. simply have a pledge drive with different method of payments and different plans such as a monthly plan or just a pay once plane and allow your customers to pick the amount of money they can give techspot will have enough money to run the site. many youtubers are doing this now and are reasiving much more money than they initially wanted.

Not true, certain sites (I believe this very site is one of them) get a small amount for each viewing of an advert, adblock stops the advert from ever loading therefore it is not counted as a view.

Correct me if I'm wrong though if anyone here knows better.

I wish you could make exceptions in the system for the type of ad. Like, I want to allow google ads, but none of the others...

Guest said:
Then you will happily buy a monthly subscription to read content!

As with cable television when it first started.
We all know how that turned out. :eek:

I wish you could make exceptions in the system for the type of ad. Like, I want to allow google ads, but none of the others...
That's actually a good idea, I want to block youtube's stupid video ads but I don't mind the ones on the side.

I hope AdBlock are reading this :p

I think there should be a "click here" on sites, if you want to see ads, you click on a button, otherwise you don't see them.
I've been using ABP for a long time, and will continue. Some sites I turn it off, but most, I leave it on.

I don't want to see ads period. I know what I want/need when I want/need them. Ads simply annoy me with crap I don't need or want at any specific time.

I don't want to see ads either but like on my forums I can't control the host pushing ads base on my content.

My first forum I can control it and in other forums which they changed the code in 2011 which the 2010 code did allow you to block them out. I don't want to see ads just want to surf fast. Ads can slow the the browsing under the old dial-up days.

Although those are gone but Ads today are not just GIF, JPG, PNG, TIF, nor java script they're Flash Java Animated base and those can do a lot more than the old static ads could do.

On browsers you can block the ads, you can block from the host file you can do second layer firewall software base. Adblock extension been around for years now.. I use it along with Blocker extension for Chrome. There is that Private Browsing feature but still if you don't want to read them it should be your choice.

What sites can do is give you the option to see ads or not. Thus doing so would get rid of the need of adblock.

Wait, I thought this was Adblock Plus. I forgot Adblock Plus and AdBlock are two different addons. Well, I suppose advertising an ad blocker, however ironic, will obviously be very effective at reaching all the people they're looking to reach (people without an ad blocker).

Techspot is the only site I view ads on, and it isn't by choice. It's the darn captchas showing videos, they're not too bad though I guess. I put up with it since Techspot allows me to post as a guest, which I like.

Sounds like a plan. After all, "how many wars have we fought to end war"? And now we have global peace, er don't we....:D ?

....[ ]....What sites can do is give you the option to see ads or not. Thus doing so would get rid of the need of adblock.
Right, good luck with that.

Back