Administrator Access Probelms HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjangl337

whenever i try to access such windows 2000 applications of importance that only administrators or certain users should be able to get into, such as The administrative tools or the device manager i get rejected with this message "Access to specified device, path, or file is denied." Also i am a administrator on my machine and i have the service pack 3 and windows 2000. I am still able to do such things as change user's passwords and properties. Please help me...

I just recently tried to install sp4, but failed due to a service pack error
while inspecting current conifiguration "The file c:\winnt\system32\tftp.exe is open or in use by another application. when i try to close my other apps running it says operation is need for this process etc or that im denied to close that app

Try to log-off from your normal user-name. Then log-in as "Administrator" with your admin-password (try all blanks or the often used "admin" if you have "forgotten" it).
Then right-click "My Computer" on the desktop, selct "Manage" and check out "Local Users and Groups". Check that your username really is in the Administrator group.

While you are logged in as administrator, why not switch off your AV-program and other monitoring software and install SP4?

Or you could try creating another account and giving it administrator rights...

That should give you an account without any restrictions...

BTW: what have you done since last time you had access as administrator?

i am a administator and when i went to the users menu in the control panel it says that im a administrator and a debugger user? ill try making another accnt right now it seems i have admin rights just that im denied go use certain windows os apps

Hmm...

I would point the finger that the failed SP4 install...

You could pop in the win2k pro install cd, and repair it, though that would require you to install all your drivers (and SP's) again...

Alternatively, you could try re-installing SP4 and see if that helps anything...

Or wait until some more members see this thread and post their advices... :)

You could have a corrupted profile.

Log off, log on as another admin account - does it work now?

If so, delete the original administrator's profile and then log back on. Remember, if you had any icons on the desktop, bookmarks etc then they will be lost unless you back them up first.

Originally posted by jjangl337
thanx alot wow this is the nicest tech forum ive been to :D i guess ill just wait.... HELP

Hehehe...

We're just glad to be of service :)

If Phantasm66 advice didn't work, let us know, and I'm sure someone will come up with another solution... :)

You probably got virus, very likely the MSblaster.
The securities of those programs: tftp.exe or defrag....exe were changed to deny on all users.
You can delete tftp.exe under windows\system32\, the OS will replace a fresh good one.
Reset security will allow you to run. Let me know if this helps.

tftp.exe issues/admin right issues

Hi everyone, I'm new poster to this oh so great posting site... and have been roaming the internet to try to fix my computer issues, I have found this posting thread to be the most helpful.

I too am trying to download the SP4 for Windows 2000 Professional and I get that same error message about the file tftp.exe is in use. I have tried all of the suggestions posted in this thread.

The problem is that I do log-in as an adminstrator but it appears I don't have any admin rights, I'm sure I used to. I am denied access when I right click my computer and choose Manage. I am denied access when I try to delete the tftp.exe file from the system32 folder.

I do have Norton installed and frequently run virus checks and update my virus definitions, Norton has found nothing and specifically has not found the msblaster virus.

I have a registry healer which I've ran and fixed issues there as well and still, I cannot download the SP4 without getting the error I mentioned earlier.

Any suggestions on how I should go about fixing this? In summary, I need to somehow get my admin rights back. I'm crossing my fingers in hopes that a completed reformatting is not needed. Yikes!

Thanks a billion, sorry this posting is SO LONG!! Any and all help will be much appreciated.

Thank you SO MUCH! It worked. I was able to take control of the files I needed (which ended up being tftp.exe, mmc.exe and cmd.exe) and delete them for a successful install of the W2K SP4.

I'm still not able to access the Manage option when I right-click my computer which seems weird I think being that I'm the administrator but I now have the SP4 which was my main goal.

Thanks again I really appreciate your help!!!!

Glad you got it all straightened out, and I hope to see you stick around an possibly help others, or maybe get another question answered.

Donleyn,

go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools and select Computer Management

or

go to Start/Run and type in: compmgmt.msc /s

Both will get you into Management.

Hi donleyn / realblack,

I'm still not able to access the Manage option when I right-click my computer. Could you figure it out how to do it ??

However, if I go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools and select Computer Management

or

go to Start/Run and type in: compmgmt.msc /s

I am able to access management option :knock: . But not by right click. Why is it so ??? Can anyone help me out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back