Adobe's new photography tool lets you "copy" styling from another image

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It’ll let you in on a little secret about photography – virtually everything you see in a commercial capacity has gone through some form of post-processing enhancement.

While there are still plenty of photographers that strive to “get it right” in the camera, it can be nearly impossible to avoid a time-consuming run through Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop – especially if you’re going for an artistic, dramatic or otherwise unnatural effect.

Research from Adobe and Cornell University, however, may soon result in the minimization of how much time you’ll need to devote to post-processing such images.

The duo developed a technique called deep photo style transfer that builds upon recent work on painterly transfer. Simply put, the tool can seamlessly transfer the style of a source image – things like the time of day, weather, season and artistic edits – and apply them to a vastly different image.

For example, you could take a picture of a city skyline in brightly-lit, less than ideal conditions, feed the tool an image of a beautiful night skyline and have those ‘effects’ transferred over to your original image. It doesn’t sound all that impressive but the results above speak for themselves.

Adobe hasn’t said if it plans to bring the tool to one of its editing suites although as Engadget notes, if you’re running Linux, you can snag the necessary files from GitHub and take it out for a spin.

Permalink to story.

There are lots of Action files (.atn) that can do a similar thing in Photoshop. One can create these action files easily and apply them to other images.

This has is an extremely misleading heading (at least for me anyway). To me it makes it sound like adobe has this software readily available but it turns out they haven't even said if it PLANS to bring it to one of its suites..

This has is an extremely misleading heading (at least for me anyway). To me it makes it sound like adobe has this software readily available but it turns out they haven't even said if it PLANS to bring it to one of its suites..
It is available in Github for Linux users. Having to recompiling the source code to use, but it's not for newbies. I don't care enough to try. I'd rather do something similar with a HDR program like Photomatix

Anyone with a functional knowledge of Photoshop can already do this without a plugin. Color profiles are as old as Photoshop.

Back