Advice for the paging file size for my Dimension 9150 PentiumD (dual core)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoril

Hi there:)

To rule out my paging file as a possible cause for my blue screen error (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) I intend to create a new paging file. My system has 1 gig ram. It is Windows XP Professional and is 4 weeks old.

1.) I read the article re paging files. My current settings (when shipped) by Dell for this computer are Custom size - initial size 1536mb - maximum size 3052mb. Does this seem ok to you?

2.) Would it be better to let Windows chose the size of the paging file? I know when I had Windows'98 SE it helped a bit to have the same minimum and maxuimum size (app 1.5 times the maximum ram) as mentioned in the article. would this apply to my system also?

3.) Does having a dual core processor affect the custom configuration of the paging file if I use that option?

Any replies appreciated,

Howard

a paging file is the unlikely cause of such an error.
Windows XP automatically sets the correct size. You're fine there.
Zip your last 3 minidumps and attach them and send them up.
I would also have all the correct BIOS and windows updates.

Hi there:)

Thanks for the reply. I think that you have seen the last three minidumps from the earlier post. No more since then. If I get more I will definitely send them if that is ok. I seem to get the "blue screen of death" every 1/2 days so far...

I am disabling software one item at a time to see if the problem is software driver related. The hardware seems ok according to all the extended tests so far using recommended products. I have checked in the security forums. I ran a number of scans from different anti-trojan, anti-virus software, and rootkit detectors . Nothing showed up! Hijackthis doesn't indicate any problems.

Windows updates are completely up to date and I have checked to make sure that the bios is also.

All the very best,

Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back