Advice regarding purchasing a Viewsonic 27" LCD and suitability for my system

Leeky

Hello guys and girls. :D

I've been considering purchasing a bigger LCD for a while now. Currently I have 2x 22" Viewsonic VA2216w-4's, but I'm looking at replacing them with 1x Viewsonic 27" VX2739WM LCD (click here) but I have a couple of questions I think I know the answer to, but would like to confirm if possible please.

1. I'll be connecting this via HDMI cable, my graphics card has one so all is good; but will my GPU handle the size and rendering of the screen OK?
2. Given the resolution of this HD LCD, will it be compairable to my 2x 1680x1050 LCDs overall, or will I be losing loads of desktop space?
3. If I decided to purchase another one down the road, would my graphics card be OK running both of these, or do I seriously need to consider upgrading BEFORE getting these LCDs.
4. If I used two monitors, would they both function with full HD using the HDMI connector on the graphics card, and the DVI-D connector to the 2nd one?

Most know by now I don't do gaming, but I do intend on purchasing a blueray player and using it to watch movies in HD. I have no requirement or need to ever play any games on this PC. My PC spec's are above, currently both monitors are connected by D-SUB (they don't have DVI/HDMI), my graphics card is listed here. This card has 1x D-SUB, 1x DVI, 1x HDMI.

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry if a lot of this is pretty obvious! lol.

If you don't play games, you don't really need to worry about your graphics card being able to handle it: it will.

The 27" resolution is 1920 x 1080, which is higher than a single 22" of yours. However, I think a dual monitor setup with the 22" would have more desktop space.

1920 x 1080 ~ 2M pixels
1680 x 1050 ~ 1.75M pixels
2 x 1680 x 1050 ~ 3.5M pixels.

As you can see, a single 27" is just slightly larger in terms of desktop space, and replacing two monitors for just one will result in a huge loss.

Of course, you get a bigger screen to watch high-def blu-ray disks.

To your last question, only the 27" will perform at full HD (which is 1920 x 1080), but the 22" will not. There probably isn't a difference between using the HDMI or the DVI connector for this purpose. If there is, I'd like to know (HDMI carries sound signals as well, but unless your monitor comes with speakers...)

And you don't need to apologize. There are many more people with much less knowledge, and we're still happy to help (as long as they're nice and concise as you have been, or at least willing to answer everything we ask :D)

Cool, my major concern was my graphics card having a fit because I could possibly ask it to run a blue ray movie across two screens.

Its strange, as before one LCD was enough, then I got a 2nd as I felt like I was too restricted on my single display, now I feel like I need more space again! lol.

I'm not sure how I would cope we having less desktop real estate, even if the one monitor was 5" bigger than the current 22" ones. Space is also an issue (see pic below), and given the fact my desk is in the corner wall mountings (which I have both of) are near impossible to fit and have both screens match up perfectly.

My desktop (space is a premium! lol.)

LCD1.JPG

LCD2.JPG

So if I scrapped the idea of a 27", but instead got say 2x 22/23" full HD LCD's would I have more desktop space, but crucially (for me) they would fit on my desk AND would be perfect for HD viewing - a combined 44/46" isn't small for a HD movie is it!

But before I decide, going by what you said, ignoring the physical size, a full HD 1920x1050 display has more screen space than a 1650x1050 yes? Did I read that right? lol.

Thanks mate. :)

Edit: something like this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151336

I have a 24" display that is full HD. Could go for 2x24.

Or put your tower on the floor and get a ATI card that supports Eyefinity and get the 27 for a "center" monitor and relegate the 22" monitors to left and right :D

Not sure why you'd want to show a Blu-ray over 2 monitors. since you'd be looking at two 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 displays.
so you'd want to watch it in 1920x2160 resolution??? Bit weird if you ask me. Get a single 32" or larger display and use that for the movies. I don't see the benefit of stretching the playback over 2 monitors...

I have a 24" display that is full HD. Could go for 2x24.

Or put your tower on the floor and get a ATI card that supports Eyefinity and get th 27 for a "center" monitor and relegate the 22" monitors to left and right :D

Thanks for the advice.

I assumed you could just stretch the picture across two LCDs without problems. But yes, I get your point as I must admit I've never even done it with my current setup. It would be much wider than it is high, and totally ruin the picture I guess! Playing blueray's is a bonus, its not the main reason for doing it. My main reason is to gain more desktop real estate, but without resorting to silly things like 42" plasma's or something. ;)

I'd never stick my PC on the floor though, I'd be forever kicking it or the little one would be pulling it apart. LOL.

I don't think twin 24" LCD's would fit As I've got my sub enclosure and loads of electrical power packs in the space behind the LCDs, and only 2" space to the left of them currently. If the right one was moved any further up it would be sat right up against the back of the tower.

Unless I move my tower to a shelf above the LCDs on the right hand wall. Now thats a thought! :D Then I'd have to get up to put a DVD in, which would be annoying at times... Unless I get an external DVD drive (so when I need to)... Hmm, decisions. lol.

Would my current graphics card with 3 connectors not support 3 monitors at once then? The spare port is currently the HDMI one so in that respect it would be ideal going for three, and much cheaper overall as I'd keep the old ones too.

From what I understand the older ATI cards (older than the 5000 series) only support output to two of the three outputs on them at once. So you couldn't run three monitors from the existing card.

This thread on AMD game forums seems to be discussing exactly that.

Thanks for the link Arris. :)

Puts that idea out then. He has the same GPU (well specs and model/ram are same), so obviously means I can't do three. I'm not prepared to purchase another graphics card either as its simply not needed for what I use the PC for.

I guess I'll have to look at replacing both LCDs for the same size, or 24" and move my tower onto a shelf instead. I'll be needing an LCD for our 7yr olds PC build for her christmas present anyway, so I'll donate one of mine and use the money towards one of my new ones. to be honest I think it would look silly with 3 screens anyway. LOL.

Being realistic, two 22" HD screens wouldn't use up anymore desk space, would be cheaper than 24"s and I'd still gain desktop real estate due to the higher resolutions. So its the cheapest way forward I think. If I could get another 22" HD Viewsonic in the same design I'd be tempted to just purchase one actually, but I doubt I'd get them matching, and odd screens would do my head in.

Just out of curiosity, what's the main use of the PC anyway?
I'm sat at work at a desk the same as the one in your picture with a laptop with a 15" display and a 22" monitor running off of it too. I find it useful but don't see why I'd want even more screen desktop space. I guess 3 monitors for non gaming use would be a bit over the top :)

Just out of curiosity, what's the main use of the PC anyway?
I'm sat at work at a desk the same as the one in your picture with a laptop with a 15" display and a 22" monitor running off of it too. I find it useful but don't see why I'd want even more screen desktop space. I guess 3 monitors for non gaming use would be a bit over the top :)

The restriction on my desk is the bookcase, and the tower. If it wasn't for those two I'd have acres of room. Unfortunately though the bookcase needs to stay as it keeps all the books I regularly use in arms reach, and the tower is unsafe on the floor as either the baby will get to it, or I'll kick the daylights out of it forgetting its there. lol.

I use the PC for office tasks (project management/emails/office productivity), web browsing, for working on my server (remotely), watching/listening to media, graphics editing/rendering, and for the occasional programming. Oh, and I use Virtualbox a lot, usually using 1-2 of my VB partitions on the desktop pretty much continually during the day.

Its really not much, and as far as I can tell my PC spec is more than adequate (OTT) in certain areas!

My biggest power consumption comes from VB. One of the VB partitions requires pretty much all of one screen in order to function correctly (reading small diagrams is impossible otherwise), and the other isn't so much of a problem. I also use several more less frequently for research and testing of changes etc. One is a Linux playpit I use where I deliberately kill it, and then work to fix it again. They can be minimised anyway, so if I need to open another screen I just do it on top of the VB running, or minimise it out of the way.

Just as a side note to the discussion...If you are planning on using the system for blu ray playback it may be worthwhile investigating using a HTPC grade HD 5xxx series graphics card since they feature lossless bitstreaming audio (DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD 5.1/7.1)- that's if the audio quality has a measure of importance for you.
Brief guide here

Edit: Nice butt collection you have going there.

Thats very interesting, and certainly something to consider if we decide to go ahead and build a HTPC. Thanks for the link :)

You can always get a monitor stand, and put a 3 screen (if the card supports it) config, With the 2x 22" on top of the 27" main.

I'd personally just move the tower though, but if you're worried about your tower being on the floor, its tough. Although I'd say it won't complain about you kicking it all the time, unlike some other organic beings.

With a good pair of speakers it might just scream back at you, but you can always turn it off. :D

Edit: Nice butt collection you have going there.

I know, its a bad habit.... I really should stop while my body has time to recover from it all. lol.

CMH said:
You can always get a monitor stand, and put a 3 screen (if the card supports it) config, With the 2x 22" on top of the 27" main.

I'd personally just move the tower though, but if you're worried about your tower being on the floor, its tough. Although I'd say it won't complain about you kicking it all the time, unlike some other organic beings.

With a good pair of speakers it might just scream back at you, but you can always turn it off. :D

I honestly couldn't bring myself to put it on the floor - Besides there is no space! lol.

My card doesn't support 3 monitors unfortunately, and its really pointless upgrading as its just more cost when what I have now does the job.

I'm either going to put my tower on a shelf above the LCDs, and get 2x full HD 24" LCDs, or just purchase 2 22" full HD LCDs and leave the tower where it is.

I'm not going to rush into a decision. I've had these LCDs for a few years now and they're still going strong - So its not like I need to do something right this second.

Of course you don't need to do anything. You might not need to get the 22" HD monitors neither: extra detail is good for large screens like TVs >30". Besides, people don't miss what they never had.

From my own personal experience, I do have a 22" "low res", and a HD 22". I don't really see much difference, and my "low res" monitor has better color (I went through a huge bunch of monitor reviews to get one with good color reproduction for the low res one).

Saying that, I DO have space on my table, and if anyone wants to donate a 27"-30" monitor, I won't complain :D

Back