Agp 8x card in an Agp 4x mainboard ( Just wondering,,, )

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheezHead

Just wondering,,,

Im not totaly sure but will getting a 8X AGP MOBO increase the performance of my 8X card? rite now its in a MSI i845E-max 4X MOBO.

im thinking things will theoreticly double rite? if not,, i wont bother getting a 8X MOBO.

thanks all

BTW, i have an eVGA GE4 MX440-8x 128 meg card

most reviews show a good performance increase when using an 8x AGP card(running at 8x) compared to the 4x versions of the same card. However you have an MX440 and you wont see any signifigant increase(That card doesnt process enough to take advantage of the extra bandwidth)

No, you will not get double performance.

I think for most graphics cards, the performance advantage is through 8x optimizations more so than "double the bandwidth".

You will see little to no difference no matter what 8x card you use in a 4x slot. Once you start passing info by this method you are probably already running too slowly.

Ok i understand,, even though i have a "8X" card in a "4X" slot i will see little or no increase at all? then its a "lie" to state that its an "8x" jus to get people to buy the card?? is it my understanding that thare is very little or no difference between 4X & 8X MOBO's?? as far as Bandwidth?? or is it just the VGA cards? what would be the performance dirfference?
is thare a "Miss-representation" lawsuit cooking?

LNCPapa,,,,im not sure what you mean?? "passing info by this method you are probably already running too slowly."

Ok i understand,, even though i have a "8X" card in a "4X" slot i will see little or no increase at all? then its a "lie" to state that its an "8x" jus to get people to buy the card?? is it my understanding that thare is very little or no difference between 4X & 8X MOBO's?? as far as Bandwidth?? or is it just the VGA cards? what would be the performance dirfference?

an 8x slot has a bandwidth of about 2.2GB/s. 4x has somewhere around half that. agp 8x cards can utilize 8x optimizations and the higher bandwidth. 4x cards cannot. i saw a little bit of an increase in my video cards performance when i get my new mobo, but that could be from the faster processor too. and the difference between motherboards that support 8x or 4x, most that have 8x slots are newer and have more up to date technologies on them vs. the 4x slot. maybe you should do a little research on your own to find some answers?

Aside from some "optimizations", AGP 8x does offer twice the bandwidth. But most (if not all) video cards do not utilize this extra bandwidth.

Imagine a 4 lane highway that is changed to an 8 lane highway. Now, both highways have the same speed limit, the only difference is one has 4 more lanes.

Even though there are more lanes, all of the cars are still moving at the same speed. 65MPH or whatever you'd like.

Because it is wider, the potential to deliver twice as much traffic is there, but the 4 lane highway wasn't busy to start with... So people aren't really using the highway to its full potential.

AGP 8x and 4x is very simliar.

So what your telling me "SNOWMAN" is that an 8X AGP slot has a bandwidth of 2.2gb/s? Why does my 8X card have a Bandwidth of 6.4GB/s?? WOW huh? that makes a no sence. also i HAVE looked around, to find nothing that made sence to me, thats why i asked Y'all. The only one to put things in perspective for me was RICK.
Thank you RICK. I'll jus wait till i can grab a high-end card, given the fact that my MX-440 is low end.

BTW Snowman, PCI cards have more than 2.2gb/s of bandwidth.
I personaly think with replys like yours makes you no more edgucated than i am.

Please watch your language,
Edited by StormBringer

When they say "an 8X AGP slot has a bandwidth of 2.2gb/s" they are talking about the connection between the AGP card and the motherboard, not the memory bandwidth between the GPU and the video memory. Its the same thing with PCI cards. There's the bandwidth of the video memory and then there's the speed of PCI connection on the motherboard.

That's very true Dave.

Graphics cards are BANDWIDTH HOGS for sure, but AGP isn't where the bandwidth is needed. Most of the bandwidth-intensive stuff is taken care locally on the card itself.

AGP covers everything that happens between the card and the CPU, which isn't nearly as much as what happens between the GPU and graphic memory.

I smell an apology coming :)
Please clean up that vulgarity as well - it was not needed nor was it even appropriately directed.

I personaly think with replys like yours makes you no more edgucated than i am.

i personally think my replys have a little more education since i look up my information first, and understand it. i got the 2.2gb/s from asus's website, in which they said that the agp 8x slot had a bandwidth of 2.2gb/s. if you think they are wrong, you are more than welcome to send an email to their tech support. im sure they will help you out.

OKAY...

The questions posed have been answered here. I am locking this thread now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back