AGP Mobo and Prcessor help

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gourry25

Hey all I need some serious help on a new motherboard and processor for a temp solution. Here is the situation. I have a Soyo Dragon plus Kt-333 Mobo with a Amd Althon 1.67 GHZ 2000+ processor. my video card is an Nvidia 7600 Gt with 512 ram, about 7 months ago i got 2 gigs of ram, my hard drives are Ata's. Also my PSu is a 430w

now that I am done with my specs or least the ones that concern me my question andn I am being dead serious about this.

I need to know what Motherboard to look for to improve my speed so i can still use my hard drives, ram and video card. My dvd burner and cd-rom not a problem as is the sound card. Now I want to say straight out that I cannot afford a brand new Pc thats Pci-e for damn who knows maybe a full year. So I want a temp solution so i can play games that are just out of my 2.0 GHZ rating like game that have a 2.4 to maybe 3.4 if possible.

So what should i look for as far as a mobo and processor?

And don;t say i won;t find anything if i am giving a mobo name cause i know place locally and online that have them for a price I can currently afford or get for a late b-day gift.

If you want great performance out of a 32 bit processor then the Abit NF7 ver2.0 mobo range are damn good. You wont get one new but they do pop up on ebay now and again.

If you are wanting to go to a different kind of cpu then we need to know what spec your ram is and what sort of cpu takes your fancy.

Well for now I really am looking at a motherboard with a faster processor so i can still use my video card, 2 gigs of ram, and hard drives all these would be useless to me if i wanted to go to Pci-E right now and i cannot afford a new pc right now but a mob and processor faster than what i got which i listed in my initial post would help me last for some times. I basically want to play games like Splinter Cell double agent which may work since i know game min requirements are not accurate, also Crysis which my brother can play the demo and no issues and he has a somewhat similar setup but fast processor, and even Call of duty 4. theses are things i am looking at. so if i could get a AGP mobo thats faster than 1.67GHz and have it use all my current stuff it would help me out till i can get a new pc for a while. but i am just not sure what to look for and my brother is no help at all.

A fair ammount of pci-e mobo's support ata (aka ide).

You still haven't said what spec your ram is tho, that could be your main limiting factor if it isn't very fast ram.

The Abit nf7 2.0 range support up-to an amd 3200+ (higher with bios flash) if memory serves.
They support pc 2700, pc3200, and pc 4000 ram up-to 3gig.
Agp x8.

If you wish to overclock then its was just about the best mobo for an amd 32bit cpu for clocking.

I used to run an Abit NF7-S with an amd xp2000+ cpu 1.667ghz and had it up-to just over 2ghz.

The downside to the NF7's is that the bios is really quite complex and has adjustable settings for everything you can think of plus a whole load more that you would never think of.

So, we need to know what speed ram you have and a budget really.

ok I'll try to get that info on the ram for you but like i said the video card, hard drives, ram and maybe PSU depending on the mobo i'd be looking for are top concerns cause my next step is a external 500gig hard drive to move all files and programs i can to it and then be able to use that to put into my eventually PCI-e based system hopefully in a year.

Google and get everest home edition and that will tell you exactly what ram you have. Or visit www.crucial.com and get them to scan your system and that also will tell you what ram you have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130064
Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
Memory

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103774
Processor

Total Package $180.00

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157115
Motherboard $67.00

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115032
Processor $150.00

This second setup assumes that you have PC3200 memory, but you probably don't as the 2000+ used PC2100. The motherboard can also use DDR2 PC5300.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227060
2GB PC5400 memory $53.00

Total Package $270.00

ok got my ram info lol I got two 1 gig DDR ram sets, didn't write down any serial numbers but they are G.Skill brand and one thing i did write also was Pc-3200.

So there you got best option besides like i said buying a new pc.

The first motherboard, processor and memory combo I listed well comes with memory for a total of about $180.00 The second combo I listed without the memory is about $220.00.

If you want to save forty bucks and have more new technology in your computer go with the first combo.

If you don't mind reusing your old memory and probably have a slightly faster processor with slower memory go for the second combo.

Cinders said:
The first motherboard, processor and memory combo I listed well comes with memory for a total of about $180.00 The second combo I listed without the memory is about $220.00.

If you want to save forty bucks and have more new technology in your computer go with the first combo.

If you don't mind reusing your old memory and probably have a slightly faster processor with slower memory go for the second combo.

Both options are reasonable , Now how long would this extend my computer as far as most games go?

If i can get 2-3 years out of it I would then have enough to be able to get a new PCI-e based system with all i need to transfer and stuff by then.

Btw i looked at the mobo's and may have an issue, i have a cd-rom as well as a dvd/cd-rom/burner. and 2 IDE Hd's so not sure if those board would let me sue both my my Hd's which is my main concern, i could go without the cd-rom of course but a bonus of having both a dvd and cd is being able to paly a movie and a game or two games without switching any discs that it may require.

If you need more info on my current pc i did create a detailed text file of what i got now.

lol sorry i rather keep my dvd/cd burner since it cost my dad a nice some and its a Pioneer so its region free. so are there any mobo with what i want? the cd-rom is only that so my dvd games will not be useful also. i just need a slight speed increase that will let me use my 2 IDe hard drives my dvd/cd burner/player, my Nvidia 7600 Gt 512 ram video card, and my two g.skill 1 gig DDR ram sets Pc-3200. so please options.

Gourry25 said:
Just to clarify: This motherboard and processor will let me use my current video card, ram, sound card, dvd/cd rom player/burner, and my 2 IDE hard drives?

Hmm why is the Processor only 1.60GHZ that seems like a decrease in speed
Yes it has two dual IDE channels. 1.6 may seem slow but it is a Core 2 Duo with just 1mb of cache and a major step up from a Athlon. There is a review here at Techspot and one at X-bit Labs compares it to some more CPUs. You can even OC it some with that mobo. I had one like it that did 290MHz on the FSB with a E4300.

I know all of you are trying to help me but I am confused and a bit frustrated. You know what i got hopefully if not here:

Current spec:
motherboard is a Soyo Dragon Plus Kt-333
Processor: AMD Athlong 1.67GHz Xp 2000+
Ram: two g.skill 1 gig DDR ram sets Pc-3200
Video card: Nvidia 7600 GT with 512 ram
Two IDE hard drives
PSU: True antec 430W
CD-rom: 52x speed(no burner)
Pioneer Dvd/cd rom player and burner.

What i want:
A mobo, processor and maybe ram that would let me use my current video card, hadr drives and at least my Dvd/cd rom player/burner.

I do not have the money now or for at least 1 year to get a new PC, therefore wanting to do this option. So please let me know the best thing to increase the speed cause i doubt with over-clocking i could play a game like Splinter Cell double agent or Crysis or some others for a while.

If i can get this to be at least 2.4 GHZ great!

I don't think you understand processor speed. Instructions per clock is just as important as clock speed. If you read the reviews I linked in the text of my last post you could see. The new Intel dual cores based on Core 2 duo are like 20% faster per clock than the X2s based on Athlon 64. Athlon 64 was also faster than the Athlons. So that E2140 is MUCH faster than a Athlon 2000+. Most likley your 7600gt will be your bottleneck. You could get a 3.46GHz Celeron D, but the E2140 is better.

I don't know how well a 7600GT will do with Crysis, that game can make my 8800gt crawl. That game depends little on the CPU.

Mirob said:
I don't think you understand processor speed. Instructions per clock is just as important as clock speed. If you read the reviews I linked in the text of my last post you could see. The new Intel dual cores based on Core 2 duo are like 20% faster per clock than the X2s based on Athlon 64. Athlon 64 was also faster than the Athlons. So that E2140 is MUCH faster than a Athlon 2000+. Most likley your 7600gt will be your bottleneck. You could get a 3.46GHz Celeron D, but the E2140 is better.

I don't know how well a 7600GT will do with Crysis, that game can make my 8800gt crawl. That game depends little on the CPU.

Soo best pick for my wants?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back