AI has been used to create a brand new sport called Speedgate

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Through the looking glass: Artificial intelligence has been used to conceive all sorts of things previously unimagined by humans. Now, we can add a new sport to that growing list. Speedgate is simple, original and most important of all, sounds like a lot of fun.

Digital agency AKQA recently commissioned a recurrent neural network to craft an entirely new sport. The Design Week Portland project processed data from over 400 sports around the globe, outputting more than 1,000 concepts. Humans then combed through the candidates to narrow the field down to just 10. From there, three games were field tested with Speedgate emerging as the favorite.

Speedgate combines elements of soccer, rugby and croquet to create a new game that Creative Director Whitney Jenkins said could never have been created by humans alone.

The game is played with two teams of six – three forwards and three defenders per side – on a field with three open-ended gates. Players advance the ball by passing or kicking it; critically, you must route it through the center gate first before being eligible to score on an end gate. A standard goal is worth two points but if you have a teammate on the other side of the gate to immediately kick it back through, it’ll be good for three points.

Speedgate doesn’t permit shoving, elbowing or tackling so it should be relatively safe for players of all ages.

AI even lent a hand in creating logos for the sport and a clumsy motto: “Face the ball to be the ball to be above the ball.”

A full list of rules and regulations can be found over on the official Speedgate website should you be interested in learning more or setting up a team.

Permalink to story.

I'd really prefer a PUBG for death row inmates on a small island surrounded by sharks.

MV5BMWU4NzA2OWYtNGQ0MS00YWNkLTg4M2YtZjlkZmY1YmJjMDE4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDc2NjEyMw@@._V1_UY268_CR1,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

I'm with everyone else. Doesn't sound entertaining at all. Guess I'd have to see it in person to make a final judgment.

I agree this sound pretty boring, but they are going to "play" it up as the best game ever. Maybe the masses will like it? The speedgate website is really annoying to me. I couldn't get past the forced side scrolling while trying to scroll down.

"Creative Director Whitney Jenkins said could never have been created by humans alone."

lol, says a guy who bases his income on a technology that doesn't exist. Nothing intelligent about AI. It's programmed by humans, and we tell it what to think. And yet it's still stupid. :)

You have to go through a goal to score a goal? Gee, we "never could have created" that... I can't take anything from this guy seriously now.

Should have known that all the comments here would be negative.

I hope it catches on and that young people are brought up playing it.

Seems extremely dumb and boring. Has all the markings of a soy-infused Gen-Z sport.

I'd be more curious to see some of the rejected ideas the AI came up with.
what's wrong with soy and why do people keep invoking it in stuff they don't like?

There are many things wrong with soy. For starters, soy contains high levels of goitrogens. Goitrogens impair thyroid function. Soy contains protease inhibitors which interfere with proper digestion of certain proteins. Soy also contains high levels of isoflavines. Isoflavines increase estrogen levels and decrease testosterone levels. For men, this means lower libido, fat accumulation around the waist, loss of stamina, and the development of man boobs. Growing soy crops is also harmful to the environment. Soy monocrops tend to leech all available nutrients from the soil, but they don't give anything back. Almost all soy crops are genetically modified and they soak up pesticides like there's no tomorrow. The fact that Monsanto produces the majority of soy on the market should tell you something important about the crop.

Back